Dear Blogger Friends,
What I'm about to say just might be considered by some of you to be utter blasphemy. So, I apologize in advance to anyone who may take offense.
I'm ready for summer to be over.
THERE. I said it. I know, I know, you think I'm crazy. And I'm so sorry if summer is your favorite time of the year, because here I am wishing it away.
I'm ready for school to start.
See, I've always been a big sit in the front row, raise your hand a lot, read the extra assignments, color-coded note cards NERD. I'm a school nerd. I love things like school supplies and new planners. I look at my fall school schedule at least once a week just because I'm that freakin' excited about it. I've already read the first chapter in most of my textbooks for next semester.
And, next semester will be the start of something amazing-- my Teaching Assistantship. I worked my butt off in undergrad, trying to acquire the grades, research experience, internships and awards that would back up my lifelong dream of being a TA. Hey, some kinds wanna be movie stars. I wanted a free ride to school and the joy of teaching experience.
Last year, applying to grad school and waiting to hear about my TA application was such a roller coaster. First, I was told I wouldn't get the position because of a lack of funding. Then, there was funding, and I got my position.
Quite the Disney movie, eh?
And now, as we simmer through the middle of the summer, as my school books sit lonely on my desk, as my pencils and planners and notecards and binders and highlighters and erasers and paperclips hibernate sadly in boxes and slumped bookbags, I can't help but dream about that first day of school.
I need to snap out of it!
I have almost a month and a half before school starts. That's a lot of summer! I don't want to dream it away just because there are exciting things on the horizon! So, here's my...
List of Exciting Summer Things:
(to get my mind off of the starting-school excitement)
1. Abby's First Birthday- July 11th, 2009.
Oh baby Abby, this time last year I was feverishly knitting your a baby blanket, trying to finish it before you popped out of your Mom. I didn't succeed, but that's ok-- the wee hours of July 11th were a happy time for everyone, finished knit blanket or not. I'm very proud to be your Aunt Sarah and I can't wait for your birthday. I also can't wait till you're older and I can steal you away from your Mom for zoo trips and things :)
My first knitting project- and a blanket for
Abby's first year, given to her and her Mommy
last summer. What will I get her this year?!
Abby's first year, given to her and her Mommy
last summer. What will I get her this year?!
2. Matt's CFP Exam- July 17th and 18th, 2009.
For over 10 months now, Matt has been working towards becoming a Certified Financial Planner. He's been in class every other weekend, on Friday evenings and all day Saturday, since last September. He's read countless books, taken multiple mini-examinations, and suffered through hours of in-person and online lectures. After all that... he takes his two-day, 10 hour exam next month. I know he's going to feel so great after taking that exam, thanks to all his hard work! And I'll be glad to say goodbye to the Saturday study zombie and hello to free-time boyfriend. Saturday baseball game, anyone?!
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- July 15th @ Midnight
Did I mention that I'm a nerd? I've been to the premiere of each Harry Potter movie, in line at midnight with all the other crazy fans. When the books were still coming out, I'd finish my waitressing shift and immediately head to Barnes & Nobles, waiting in line with the other fanatics just so I could rush home and read. I'd usually stay up all night till I finished the book and head into work again right after. Can you imagine? D-O-R-K!
Since Matt will be only a couple days away from his exam at that point, Allie might be my date instead. Fun!
4. Recipe Blogroll- Part Deux
I really enjoyed creating my first recipe blogroll. It's been such a fun project, always reminding me to try the recipes that I found and enjoyed on your blogs! I'm almost done with this one and I really look forward to creating the next one. Just a couple more recipes for me to finish first!
5. The 2-Woman, 4-Book Bookclub
The Mom/Daughter book club! I just started Love in the Time of Cholera. It's definitely a slow read-- slow, slow read-- but I'm enjoying it so far. Yesterday after I got off work, I went to the local wine/coffee bar where our knitting group meets, and read outside with a beer for a while. It was so nice! I might do the same thing today while Matt studies... even though I should really take care of some work things.
6. My Checkerboard
Progress has slowed since I recently frogged a row... but this knitting project is going to be a great finished product. Can't wait to celebrate it with a game of checkers during a summer picnic with Matt! After he takes his test, of course.
So I have lots of things to look forward to...
birthdays, books, movies, knitting and recipes. Plus, blogging! See, I knew a list would help. If I could just avoid accidentally coming across really adorable school supplies in stores... I just might make it through this summer without searching for a time speed-up machine on E-bay.
Last post, I thanked Mrs. C for passing me the Charming and Honest Blogger Award!
Here's the blog award description:
"This award is bestowed on to blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."
And here are some other bloggers that I feel deserve the award (I accidentally chose more than 8):
1. LiLu: Girl, I know you've received it before, but you are definitely the most Honest blogger I know.
2. Burp and Slurp: I love how you intertwine your personal experiences and hardships with your new found courage and commitment to healthy eating. Lovely!
3. Fidgeting Gidget: A seriously amazing blogger. This girl puts up 7 blog posts to my every 1. She's incredible! Try to keep up!
4. Ella @ Here, There, Everywhere: She's on an extended vacation right now, but when she's home she's always filling us in about life and experiences on the dating scene. She's very honest about it all and it's fun for a "taken" girl like me to live vicariously through someone who's still enjoying the roller coaster of dating!
5. Sebastian-- Sebs, you're a boy. Normally, boy bloggers aren't ones to hope for blog awards. But if any boy can appreciate an award despite the chance that its frivolous aesthetics could make him appear just a tad effeminate... it's you. And you are quite honest.
6. Kym @ Bee Creative- This girl is hilarious, and quite honest. Her last blog post that I read was about the time she was questioned about her age in an airplane seat row that required all occupants to be at least 15 years old. And she's 21!! Don't worry girl, I feel your pain.
7. Cook. Lift. Study. THIS BLOG is by one of my very BEST FRIENDS! Isn't that cool? We suffered through high school together, and now she's up in Canada doing the Undergrad thing... love that we can stay connected through blogging. Oh, and she's charming and honest and all that.
8. Amy @ Rainy Saturday: Another honest, talk-about-life blogger. A great read!
9. Kim @ My Idea of What's Going On: My Peace Corps friend, who I love and miss, is a honest blogger... which is good, because every time I read her posts I feel like we had a quick conversation!
10. YOSH Sarah: Sarah is fun. A goof. In Japan. Named Sarah, and spells it right. What's not to love?
Also, thanks to Cucinista @ Working Lunch, I've received the One Lovely Blogger Award!
Thanks, Cucinista! I think you definitely deserved the Lovely Blog award as well!
Here are some more I'd like to pass this award on to:
1. Green Ink: A lovely, inspiring blog.
2. LK @ Healthy Delicious: She really does make everything look delicious, even if it is healthy.
3. Steph @ LesJouJou: Great all around blogger. I love her posts, especially Etsy Vintage days... plus, her Etsy shop was totally featured on the Etsy homepage the other day, so she's like my famous blogger friend.
4. More Yarn Please: Started this blog to answer a dare by her blogging daughter. It's lovely as well.
5. She Knits by the Seashore: A sweet blogger who incorporates so many things into each blog post. A joy to read.
6. Jenn @ Slim Shoppin': Always has a yummy, healthy post to enjoy. Definitely eyeing a couple of her recipes for my next recipe blogroll!
7. Sarah Says: Sarah is lovely and funny, and she's gonna have one lovely baby here soon! Er... I should say one handsome baby, not lovely, but was trying to stay in award theme. He'll be a lovely handsome boy :)
8. Chow and Chatter: Her recipes are so unique, it's always a fun read. Can't wait to try some of them!
9. Next to Heaven: Mrs. C's definitely got the blog thing down. A lot of times she's participating in writing prompts that just might inspire you to blog as well!
10. Ninja Knits: Another knitting friend who posts amazing and inspiring things. Her last post title, Foodgasim Continues, made me laugh out loud. in public.
11. Knitting Knoobie: Always one of the first blogs I visit when I start blog reading. I've been visiting her blog for a while and her stories of NYC knitting stores inspire me to keep knitting! Also, stories about her frogging projects make me feel like I'm not the only one :)
In other, albeit random, news...
Thursday was my half Birthday!
My birthday sucks.
It's on Christmas.
No, really. I was born on Christmas.
So my step-dad started this tradition back in the day where, in order to bridge the long period between Decembers--during the "presents drought" (Valentine's Day is nice, but mostly I just get lots of presents once a year. You summer birthdays better appreciate your parents timing!!)-- he gets me a small "half Birthday" present.
He was actually in California this week so I haven't gotten my little gift yet, but we did all go out to dinner last night at my favorite local Mexican restaurant, Dos Taquitos, so I considered the margaritas my half birthday present. Even though we were really celebrating belated Father's Day and his return from Cali.
So thanks, Tom! And happy half Birthday to me-- can you believe you now have less than 6 months till Christmas?!
I gotta get knitting!
That's all for now; hope everyone has a great weekend!
New Girl Blogger