Hummus Review & Tutoring Fun! + Baby Yarn

Tuesday, May 12

Listening to "White Houses," Vanessa Carlton

Recipe Review / Goals:

Steph Chow's Hummus:
-Easy Recipe
-Ingredients not too expensive (Found them all, even the ones I had never heard of before, at Harris Teeter!)
-Recipe easy to tweak/adapt!

The first go-around, I made Steph Chow's Hummus exactly as her recipe instructed. Sooo good, had it with some celery, pretzels, carrots, and pita chips... I love hummus.

hummus
Look at that hummus! Adapted the recipe

a little for the chicken wraps...

Adapting the Recipe:
The next night we wanted chicken-hummus wraps, so I added a little to the hummus. I put it back into the food processor, and slowly added cottage cheese and red pepper flakes until it was just the right cheesy-spicy combination. Add chicken and some flour tortillas, couple slices of grilled red peppers-- YUM!

Recipe Goals for This Week(end):
-Food Snob's Blue Cheese Chicken Burgers
-My Tasty Treasure's Malted Milk Ball Cookies

~*~*~
Knitting Update:

Abby's Jacket
Still knitting the body... I'm getting close to the arm holes... I'll see how my pattern holds up! It's the first pattern I've ever designed, so I'm not holding my breath :)

Baby Yarn--for a BABY!
A friend at Stitch 'N Bitch gave me a BUNCH of free baby yarn!! Now, I don't need the baby yarn-- but someone I know is going to need some baby knits soon :)

Can't tell you who yet, but someone very close to me will be bringing a little bundle into the world this January!! She wants to wait for her first ultrasound before I go blabbing about it on the internet! They're not going to find out the gender of the baby until the baby is born (exciting!), so this yarn is great because it's multi-colored:
No idea what you make
with it YET... Ravelry,
here I come!


~*~*~
Tutoring Adventure:

Poly
One of my favorite students is a young 4th grade boy-- we'll call him Alex. Alex and I were going over vocabulary words. One of his "prefixes" was POLY-- meaning many. His teacher wrote down a couple examples:
-polygon
-polymath
-polygamy

Now, I explained the first two with ease. Then I stopped. Polygamy? Should I attempt to explain polygamy to a 4th grade boy? I decided to wait for his Mom to come pick him up.

Alex's Mom: [Looking at the vocab sheet] Oh! She put polygamy as an example?!
Me: [Laughing] I know! Thought I'd let you explain...
Alex's Mom: [Big Sigh] Well, Alex, in some cultures, marriage is a little different. Instead of marrying one woman, a man might marry many women. That's why they call it polygamy, because of many. It's just a different culture. Understand?
Alex: [Nodding, with a wise look on his face] Yes. It's like a sugar daddy?

I. Love. Kids.

~*~*~

Another busy week here in Raleigh, but I feel a lot better now that I've shared a little on the blogsphere... now, I'm going to go try and catch up on my blog reading! Sorry I've been gone all week!

Your catching-up-on-blog-reading,
hummus-eating, baby-yarn-contemplating,
New Girl Blogger

30 comments:

stephchows on May 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM said...

So exciting!!! I'm so happy you liked it! And I love that you changed it up and made it your own too!

OK the you/Alex convo at the end... priceless hahahahahaha

C.G. the Foodie on May 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM said...

First time visiting your blog. I love your saying in the header (as I chug my second venti from Starbucks).

Sarah on May 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM said...

Mmmm hummus! I love it. I don't love cleaning the blender, but definitely love eating the hummus.

HAHAHA!!!! It's like a sugar daddy! HA! Oh man, kids are priceless. I love their perspective on "grown up" things!

Congratulations to your friend! How exciting! I'm sure you'll come up with something wonderful to do with that yarn.

Fidgeting Gidget on May 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM said...

I love knitting baby stuff! Enjoy!

The Duo Dishes on May 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM said...

Adding the cottage cheese to the hummus is genius! That's a good tip for us to remember.

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on May 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM said...

I love the story about the boy you are tutoring! I think that is why I love teaching- you never know what kids will say! There are so many baby things to knit! I just knitted a blanket, a hat, and some booties for my SIL's baby. Now I am doing a baby sweater for a friend. Have fun with it - baby stuff are quick knits.

Anonymous said...

haha "Alex" is too cute! I had to tell my boss about what he said!

Trina on May 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM said...

That hummus looks amazing, I must bookmark it to try the recipe one day!
And 'Alex' sounds adorable :)

Susie on May 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM said...

I'd try Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Surprise Jacket. It's all over Rav so it'll be easy for you to look at. If I'm not mistaken, it's knit on straight needles and is easy as pie. I'm going to be making my first one soon also so maybe we can compare notes if you do one too! Good luck!

Donna-FFW on May 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM said...

The hummus sounds yum, and using it in a wrap is a great idea, Sarah!! Too cute the answers of your student. You should keep a record of all the cute answers.. could make a fun book or memoir one day!

Amy on May 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM said...

Mmmm, hummus! I might try this recipe. I love the idea of adding cream cheese and red pepper flakes too. I can put hummus on anything at all and it's always so good :D

Ahhh, kids--sugar daddy!? hahaha!

Brett Alexandra on May 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM said...

Wow, that hummus looks SO good. Especially as a chicken wrap.

HAHA, kids really do say the darndest things!
That is hilarious that he knew what a sugar daddy was. That should only refer as a candy to kids!! haha. Missed you this week!

Sebastian Anthony on May 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM said...

I have no idea what baby yarn is (or yam, as I first interpreted it as), but... it looks pretty!!

Alex's story was adorable, sheesh. Kids nowadays... It makes you wonder where they learn such phrases...

More disturbing is why polygamy was on the list in the first place. You're no where near Utah, are you?

April on May 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM said...

LOVING the convo with Alex and his mom. See... not just my kids who run their mouth. : ) And I wouldn't have it any other way! Sugar daddy....HAHAHA!!!!!!

Stephanie on May 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM said...

1. That hummus looks AWESOME. Way to go. Hummus is pretty much, almost, probably right up there as, the best food ever.

2. A sugar daddy!? Hilarious.

Hannah on May 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM said...

Hi, you have a cool blog! I like your layout! You follow my mom's blog and I saw you were interested in our chickens. My blog is all about our chickens with tons of cute pictures! I hope you like it!

~Hannah

PS You can follow it if you want, but if you don't want to that is okay too! :)

me on May 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM said...

Thanks for following my blog - I love your blog & your adventures. As the "new girl" you are making all of us proud!!! Keep up the great knitting! (and gotta love the coffee, too....we have to stay awake for all this fun!)

green ink on May 13, 2009 at 7:09 AM said...

I don't know what it is about hummous, but I am addicted to it and so is nearly everyone else I know!! That wrap sounded to die for.

I love baby knitting stuff - one of these days my technique will improve so the poor babies who get given things knitted by me won't get cold with all the holes from dropped stitches :P

xx

Ace on May 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM said...

I've been thinking about trying to write my own pattern, I just don't know where to start!

rachaelgking on May 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM said...

Hummus is my effing FAVORITE. I could eat it every day, I swear.

Samantha on May 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM said...

That hummus looks so good!! I always leave your blog feeling hungry! :)

P.S. I've left you an award on my blog!!

jenn@slim-shoppin on May 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM said...

Great job on the hummus! Once you make it yourself there is no need to buy it and you save so much money!!

sarah on May 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM said...

i must have some hummus! its been almost a year! chickpeas do not seem to exist in japan. how sad is that?!?

weep weep

Anonymous said...

You are a Queen to Me! Check out my Blog

knitseashore on May 15, 2009 at 12:17 PM said...

I am so impressed - altering recipes and writing your own knitting pattern. Wow! Way to go!

The baby yarn is pretty and perfect when you don't know if you're knitting for a boy or girl.

Jessica on May 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM said...

Loved the polygamy story! That's too funny. Wise decision to wait for Mom!

Marta on May 16, 2009 at 6:48 PM said...

Hi Sra, I'm new to your blog, but I've loved the little bits I've read! I'm also an avid knitter, but that comes second to spending time in the kitchen :) So I'm sure I'll find plenty of lovely ideas here! Thanks!

Chad on May 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM said...

Throwing a can of drained and washed white kidney beans into the standard hummus recipe is a good way of adding a little smoothness to the texture and actually helps round out the flavor. After trying it last year I can't go back.

Valerie on May 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM said...

I just started reading your blog and I love it!! It's too cute. I gave you an award on my blog!

Teach.Workout.Love on May 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM said...

Hey !!!!

you have received the funky blog award from me!!
http://novelistabarista.blogspot.com/2009/05/giving-back.html
:)

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!