Readabu292. Plus, a 2-woman book club.

Sunday, June 7

Listening to "Forever," Ben Harper.

When I was a kid, somewhere around 7 years old, I got to do what (at the time) I thought was the coolest thing in the world. Ever. Cooler than Alanis Morissette playing the harmonica in her music videos (...ok, so I totally miss '90s music).

I got to set up my very own AIM screen name.

Now, this was "back in the day" when not everyone had a home computer. Back in the day, when AOL joyously announced "You've Got Mail" after your computer sang the "Dial-Up" techno-themed connection song for 20 minutes before getting online. Oh, dial up. Remember?


Anyway, I was so excited to make a screen name. I thought for hours, days even, about what my online persona would be titled. And after all that thought, I came up with...

ReadaBu292.

...what?

In my elementary-school genius, I thought of "read a bunch." Because that's what I did when I was young. I read. A bunch. Or, "a bu," since apparently I thought that shortening "bunch" in my screen name would make sense.

...And the 292? I have no idea. I guess I thought it rhymed?

Anyway, besides proving to you that I was a huuuuge dork when I was younger (/totally still am), I've also revealed one of my long time hobbies: Reading!

Photobucket
Me in all my elementary school glory.
My Mom thinks I am too dramatic about how
dorky I was during my awkward years... but
that's just because she's the one who gave me
that haircut.


Like the glasses in that picture? It's a small/blurry pic... but in case you were wondering: yes, I was in serious need of braces. And yes, that's a sweater vest.

ANYWAY-- I love to read. After all, I double-majored in English and history in Undergrad. And... if you try to major in those without seriously loving reading... you're pretty much going to throw yourself out of a library window.

Which brings me to the Word of the Day:
defenestrate: to throw through or out of a window.
No, I'm not kidding. Look it up.

~*~*~

Recent Read:

I just finished Catcher in the Rye. How I graduated with an English degree without reading this book... I'm not sure. But I finally caught up.
Review:
I was definitely affected by Holden. I was wrapped up in his story and Salinger's writing style. But I just felt so empathetically lonely while reading... and in the end it finished so abruptly. I had to hold the book close to my chest for a couple minutes and just sigh/think. (...I mentioned that I'm a big dork, right?) I wanted to understand his character enough to ponder about where his life went after the story ended. But it was bleak to think about.

Any thoughts? Was this anyone's favorite high school required reading?

If you liked Catcher and the Rye... might interest you to know that someone other than Salinger wrote a sequel. No kidding. Salinger's pissed about it though and is trying to sue so that it doesn't get published. Poor hermit Salinger. He just wants everyone to leave him and his book characters alone. So stop asking him for movie rights to Catcher, people!

~*~*~

The Two-Woman Book Club

So moving on... while in the library, I was talking on the phone to my Mom about what book to pick up. My Mom and I are seriously close... and what started as a quick phone call about book ideas turned into a debate about the 15 most alcoholic writers of all time (I totally predicted Hemingway would be numero uno, but was surprised to see how low ol' Tennessee Williams was on the list... thought he'd be like #3!).

This digression turned into us deciding that we should read some books together over the summer. Join a book club? Never! My whole undergraduate career was like an academic book club. So it's just going to be my Mom and me, reading books pool side (we've also discussed alcoholic pool-side drinks, which would of course change depending on the theme/setting of the book).

We decided that I would pick two books, then she would pick two books.

Here are our picks:

1. Sarah's Key (my pick): The juxtaposition of two stories: 10-year-old Sarah, caught in the roundup/deportation of Jewish families in Paris during the '40s, and Julia, a 45-year-old Jounalist, covering the story some 60 years later during the anniversary of the tragedy.

2. 'Round Ireland with a Fridge (my pick): British comedian Tony Hawks is bet that he cannot travel around Ireland with a fridge in tow. This book chronicles his attempt and the journey along the way. What's not to love?!

3. Love in the Time of Cholera (Mom's pick): Love and disappointment, set in the Carribbean. I'm kind of embarrassed that I haven't read this yet because it's supposed to be sooo good.

4. The Swallows of Kabul (Mom's pick): Set in Kabul, follows two couples dealing with the rule of the Taliban and the changing social/religious ideologies and how these changes have affected their lives.

I think we're going to start with Love. We both have other books to finish, then we'll get started!

Other news:

  • Construction: is finally done. Our apartment is slightly more normal now.
  • Knitting: One more row of checkered squares is complete! Need to go buy different sized DPNs to finish Abby's jacket sleeves... knitting is expensive. Good thing I'm an addict.
  • Cooking: Am struggling to finish these last couple Recipe Blogroll items. Will work harder this week!
  • Sports: Anyone else see the RED WINGS DOMINATE last night? Actually... I was babysitting and watching Disney Channel for most of it. But the score speaks for itself. 5-0, baby!
  • Babysitting: Had a full weekend of babysitting and it was lovely. I. Love. Kids.
~*~*~

Your readabu292,
OLD-NAVY-LOVIN, (did you see their sales this week! SCORE!)
Sunday-Food-Network-watchin,
Holden-Caulfield-pondering,
New Girl Blogger.

21 comments:

Trina on June 7, 2009 at 5:20 PM said...

Lol my first screen name was Kattanic - because my nickname at the time was Kat, and I was totally obsessed with Titanic :)

I love to read too, although i'm kinda in-between books at the moment, they are all boxed up in my garage! Thanks for your book bios though, my dad is really interested in Kabul so i'll mention that one to him :)

Chad on June 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM said...

Boy, you've been busy lately. Don't worry about learning to cook for two, it's not worth it and leftovers rock.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't watch the Wings dominate last night. They completely disrespected the Penguins. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

My first screename was Nuttyshitz. As in, nutty shit. The "z" was added for extra coolness. lol.
I LOVED catcher in the rye...funny, I wrote today's post with that in mind, sort of...the loss of innocence...
and I think you and I would have been great buddies back in the day...I am SUCH a bookworm. I had to hide in the bathroom to read because my parents didn't like how much I read!

Sebastian Anthony on June 7, 2009 at 8:48 PM said...

Wow, dorky screen name. Dorkier sweater vest.

Defenestrate is interesting because we didn't take 'fenestre' (the latin root) into the language, instead we took 'window' (the norse root: wind eye). Why isn't it dewindow... who knows...

'Round Ireland is great. Not amazing, but fun -- with some great photos :)

sarah on June 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM said...

i took english lit too - but i always felt a little sad... i hate deconstructing my favourite books. they lose some of their magic when you have to focus on every little detail and nuance. but maybe thats just me?

but i adore reading!! <3 we should swap lists of books to read. i used to work at a book store during varsity and so got all my books for free. now i have to pay for them, i need people to recommend me good ones! so my hard earned yen is put to good use!

good luck with cholera! whew boy. i hate not finishing books, but that one is still pending. i even got through war and peace!

sarah on June 7, 2009 at 10:57 PM said...

We commented on each others blogs at the same exact time!! So connected sarahs are! :)

Donna-FFW on June 7, 2009 at 11:50 PM said...

You are so busy, how do oyu do it all?? All of the books sound terrific, cant wait to hear your reviews.

Unknown on June 8, 2009 at 12:25 AM said...

oooooh dial-up... how i do NOT miss thee. hahaha! ;P oh my gosh.. i love looking back to what i was thinking/doing back in the day. i dont remember which was my FIRST username but it was something lame like "da-bomb" or something. hhahaha!

Kim on June 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM said...

Shut up. You and your fast paced non dial-up internet. You know, that is some people's daily life AND reality. Haha.

Anyways, I read Catcher in the Rye such a long time ago! I wrote a paper on it, my final paper, in high school. I haven't went back to it and read how horrendous my high school writing was, but, whatever, I did it. I think that the book made much more on an impact to me in high school than it would now. I think something about being in the Holden Caulfield type of mindset effects how meaningful it is at the time of reading. Have you read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? To me it was a bit reminiscent of TCitR. Quick read.

Kim on June 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM said...

Shut up. You and your fast paced non dial-up internet. You know, that is some people's daily life AND reality. Haha.

Anyways, I read Catcher in the Rye such a long time ago! I wrote a paper on it, my final paper, in high school. I haven't went back to it and read how horrendous my high school writing was, but, whatever, I did it. I think that the book made much more on an impact to me in high school than it would now. I think something about being in the Holden Caulfield type of mindset effects how meaningful it is at the time of reading. Have you read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? To me it was a bit reminiscent of TCitR. Quick read.

Ella Everywhere on June 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM said...

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had dial-up internet until a few months ago, and it was pure horror. I hated that dial-up sound sooo much.

I don't remember my first screen name, probably something like "baby_girl3824" or something to do with the backstreet boys (yep I was cool in middle school lol)

The Duo Dishes on June 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM said...

A good read would be nice right now. Sarah's Key sounds really interesting.

Sierra on June 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM said...

I love your reading list! I'm horrible. I have so many books but so little time - I really should make more time to read. ;) You blog is so fun. Glad I came across it.

Trixie on June 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM said...

I can't even remember my first screen name, but I know it was something totally lame. Like you, I spent hours trying to think of something "extremely creative" and I think I ended up using my intials with some numbers.

Stephanie on June 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM said...

I just found this blog post about another checkers board and she thought to use felted rocks. I've never made them, but I thought they would look cute with your knitted checkerboard.

http://blairpeter.typepad.com/weblog/2009/06/homespun-checkers.html

Marta on June 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM said...

I love the idea of a bookclub with your mom! My mom is my best friend and I know she'd love doing a book club with me, I'm suggesting it to her today!
Thanks for the reviews, I'm always looking for a good bus-read, since I'm on them for about 2 hours a day. Silly suburbia!

Amy on June 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM said...

I loved the Catcher in the Rye. We read it in either Grade 11 or Grade 12. But my favourite HS mandatory read was To Kill A Mockingbird.

I think my first screen name was "snowgirl0429", seeing as I live in Canada where it's winter six months of the year and 04/29 is my birthday. :)

Love the book club idea! If you haven't read it yet I recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. It's long but so good.

Suz on June 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM said...

Oh man, I don't think I have any shoe boxes anymore... If I do they're all at Dads with my remaining yearbooks and that binder with our "numerology". But I DID just look through that book of quotes you gave me for some christmas or birthday or something. Found a note in it from you - post move. Wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry - so I laughed. Someone said it was simply less messy that way. Kurt Vonnegut I believe.

I love you to pieces and a half.

thegamerswife on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM said...

Everytime I read your blog I find we have more things in common. Growing up I LOVED to read (and still do!) and I ended up majoring in history in undergrad. The library was my best friend. My husband still makes fun of me for my love of reading, and I'm glad to know you do too!

By the way, when I was in 5th grade we got AOL and I remember making my first screen name - Kinks1017. OMG. Apparently I loved the band "the Kinks" (even though I don't even remember liking or even knowing who they are!) and the numbers were my address (yeah, real safe there). I got tons of nasty smam messages from guys who thought my name was sexual! Oh the memories!

knitseashore on June 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM said...

Posting your school photo was sweet (and brave)! I am a dork too but am not posting those kinds of photos or I'd scare myself.

I think we read Catcher in the Rye in 8th or 9th grade, perfect for when you are a teen and think the whole world of adults is phony. I'd like to read it again now that I am an adult, to see if I feel differently about it. We also had to read a Separate Peace, about two boys at boarding school, and Death Be Not Proud, about a young man struggling with cancer. I wonder why there were no books with teenage GIRLS as protagonists on that reading list??

Anonymous said...

"The Catcher in the Rye," is outstanding. But I have to say that I think you're at a distinct advantage reading it now instead of in high school. I think if I would have read it as an adult it would have so much more meaning and significance. I recently re-read "The Great Gatsby," and had this experience. The themes in the story resonante so much more when you're mature enough to appreciate them.

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!