Sports, Meatloaf, MacChz II, Knitting, Construction. + Snickers.

Friday, June 5

Listening to "Lucky Boy," Matt Nathanson

What a week!

Tutoring
Almost
done with most of my tutoring clients and starting to meet some of the new clients that I'll be helping for the summer. I love meeting new clients! You can always tell the kids who are a little shy at first... but who you know are going to be crazy, talk-non-stop fireballs later on :)

Also finished up my training in the tutor company Main Office. I'll be in charge of billing, filing, and some marketing. Next week I'll be calling local school counselors and asking if they'd like information about our company. Yikes! I hate cold calls. But Matt gave me a tip that seems to be working-- "It's hard for people to be mean to you on the phone if you're smiling. They can't see your smile, but they can hear it!" It works!

Getting Published?
I've also been working on a fun project-- editing my undergraduate honors thesis. What? Didn't I graduate from Undergrad already?

I did... but my school nominated my honors thesis to the NC Undergraduate Journal, a journal which includes work from undergraduate students in all 16 public NC Universities. So I've been turning my 100+ page honors thesis into a 25 page article! How exciting-- it might get published! I'll let you know :)

Sports
Of course! The Red Wings are vying for the STANLEY CUP '09! Matt is from Detroit... have I told you that? So it's exciting for them to have a Detroit pro team do well-- especially after the way the Detroit Lions performed: historically, embarrassingly awful. They were the first Pro football team to have a no win season. So luckily, the hockey team is bringing a better rep to the city!

Nice!

The Wings did suffer a disappointing loss last night, but I think they've been playing well and am excited for the next game.

Also-- NBA Finals!!
Howard, making Bryant look not as tall...

I'm rooting for the Magic because I think Dwight Howard should have a ring... plus, Kobe, you have a couple rings. But the Magic lost last night, and the Lakers are historically phenom when playing in a series after winning the series' first game. So we'll see how that goes!

You guys? Anyone else into these finals?

~*~*~

Cooking Updates:

Mac & Cheese: Part Deux
Last time I made Macaroni and Cheese it was good... but not great. It was a little too thick, like Mac & Cheese Cake.

This time, the recipe was lovely and I actually followed it... YUM! Thanks Knitting Knoobie, for pointing me to that recipe! Another one checked off the Recipe Blogroll!

Unfortunately, I have not yet learned how to cook for two people, so I always make too much food. As such, some of the mac is in the freezer to be eaten at a later date :)

mac
Mac and Cheese-- about to be frozen. Two
people can only eat so much!


Meatloaf
Also made a meatloaf-- per Matt's request-- pretty easy! Except I was halfway through the recipe when it said "loaf pan." Loaf pan? I googled it... and recognized immediately that it was a pan I did not have.

So I just put it on a cookie sheet and kinda molded it into a meatloaf-- it turned out just fine! Crisis averted!

meatloaf
All that's left since making the large
meatloaf last Friday. Matt's been eating
a lot of it! Guess we won't have to freeze this!


I'm hoping I'll have time to cook this weekend so I can tackle some more of those recipes on my recipe blogroll. I've seen so many great recipes posted on your blogs lately, so I can't wait to make my next blogroll!!

~*~*~

Knitting Update
Abby Jacket
Finally started on the sleeves...

Photobucket
Hoping to be finished by the time they
visit next weekend!


Checkerboard
Love this project. Sure, I restarted it a couple times... it was a hard pattern at first! But now it's pretty easy and I can't WAIT till it's finished!!
Photobucket
Look like a checkerboard yet?
Hopefully we'll be drinking beers outside and playing checkers on a Saturday afternoon sometime soon!

I've been trying to think of what I can use for game pieces. I want something with a little character. Bottle caps? Matt said he'd use New Caste beer caps, because it'll be good luck for getting "Kinged" in the game. He's a dork :)

Any other ideas?
~*~*~

Life:
Other reasons I've been busy...

Construction:
Insane construction outside our apartment. ALL week.
construction at apartment
See the guy in the yellow vest? See the
door he's standing next to? Yea-- our door.


A pipe was clogged, so they literally had to dig a trench and replace the pipe. In the end, it's good that they're doing this and not just ignoring the problem. But seriously, all week it has sounded like a construction site here! Jackhammers were involved. As I'm typing this, they're chisseling away at some cement, or something equally as loud. Ohhh apartment living.

House Guest:
Finally, Snickers came to visit!
snickers!
Matt's parents dog, Snickers. Took me like
100 tries to get him to hold still for a picture! :)


Snickers is SO cute. He acts like a puppy even though he's an older dog. He sits with me while I knit :) He went home yesterday, but not before Matt's parents took us out to Cheesecake Factory! YUM!

~*~*~

That's all for now, 'folks! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Your checker-board-knitting,
overtime-tutoring, sports-lovin,
construction-hatin,
weekend-anticipating!,
New Girl Blogger

19 comments:

Ace on June 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM said...

I never use a loaf pan for meatloaf. I use a pie pan and make it into a circle with a hole in the middle (not sure why, it was in the instructions!) Always yummy!

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on June 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM said...

The meatloaf looks yummy!! I love that checkerboard you are knitting! I was thinking about knitting that some time. I love that weekend knitter book!

Anonymous said...

Mac and cheese and meatloaf is total comfort food. Good thing they both freeze well.

Also: Goooooo Magic!

Anonymous said...

How exciting about your thesis! I hope it gets published! That would be so great!

Sadly I am not a red wings fan but i'm not a penguins fan either. I am a preds girl through and through!

That mac and cheese and the meatloaf look amazing! At least you will have plently of leftovers. I can never cook for two either. I always try to find people to come eat when I cook dinner!

The checkerboard looks great! Third times the charm! I also think the jacket is looking good! I can't wait to see the finished product! I am sure that she will love it! Does she know about it or is it a surprise?

Okay I am done writing a book comment!

Fidgeting Gidget on June 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM said...

I'm rooting for the Wings, too! They looked pretty bad last night...

I'm in love with both of the things you're knitting! I, however, am intimidated by both circular needles and items that require two colors of yarn. I haven't even tried anything that falls into those categories because I'm so intimidated. One of these days.....

Anonymous said...

Your food makes my mouth water so much! I should try my hand at meatloaf again. My boyfriend tried it in the states and fell in love with it. And I am major jealous of your kintting skills! I totally want to knit with more than one colour but am too scared to give it a try!

xx

Unknown on June 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM said...

congrats on getting your thesis nominated!!! what an accomplishment!

ive not really been following the NBA finals but you're right...KOBES won too many times! someone else needs a chancE! hahaha! ;P

and i know the annoyances of construction. but instead of at home, its at work!!!!!! where you have to focus and get work done!!! we've had power outages since then, no water, fire alarms...(both fake and real)... sigh. haha!

on a happier note, ITS FRIDAY! have a great weekend Sarah! :)

Stephanie on June 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM said...

Awwww is Snickers a long haired Dachshund? My friend has a doxie and my aunt just got a little puppy, 6 weeks old. She is soooo cute.

Samantha on June 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM said...

Congrats on your thesis! That is quite an accomplishment and honor to just be nominated. I hope that it gets published!

Construction can be such an inconvenience sometimes - it's bad enough when it's on roadways, let alone RIGHT at your front door! I hope they wrap that up soon!

When Leo & I finally have our own place this summer, I'm gonna have to try some of these recipes you post! They all look SO delicious!

T on June 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM said...

Just start following your blog. Seeing your knitting makes me what to knit too (I have no clue how to). Did you ever read The Friday Night Knit Club? That made me want to knit too :)

Anonymous said...

AAAH!!! that is SO exciting! as an aspiring writer I know what an accomplishment to have your thesis published...have my fingers crossed for you!!
ack, construction sucks with all the crazy noise...I hope they're done soon!
and snickers is such a cutie!

Donna-FFW on June 6, 2009 at 6:49 AM said...

Your meatloaf and mac and cheese loks wonderful. GREAT comfort food. I never use a loaf pan for meatloaf either..:)

You houseguest is adorable!

Cucinista on June 6, 2009 at 8:44 AM said...

Mmmm.... meatloaf and mac and cheese! How much more comforting can you get? I'm also inspired to finally finish the sweater I'm knitting. Most of the way through and just have to finish last 6 inches of the right sleeve plus knit the front buttons and button holes. Why does the last 10% take as long as the first 90%?

Boubou on June 6, 2009 at 5:59 PM said...

Bonjour !
first time i come across your blog, so im gonan visit it now :)
well if you wanna be inspired by my collage or just dream, come and visit my blog :)
a bientot!
Boubouteatime xx

sarah on June 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM said...

sarah sarah sarah. you are by far the coolest of the sarahs. i mean ^ your thesis! your mac and cheese! your check board project! man, snakes alive i dont even have time to do my washing much less be so creative! go you! how can i be more like you??

rachaelgking on June 7, 2009 at 11:03 AM said...

Ooooo- I will definitely be making BOTH of those, thankyouverymuch!

Trina on June 7, 2009 at 4:58 PM said...

Oo what recipe did you use for the meatloaf? I've tried making one before and it totally failed, and i've been too scared to try again!

I'm loving that checkerboard too, what a neat idea!

knitseashore on June 7, 2009 at 10:37 PM said...

Your sweater and checkerboard look great!!!

I admire your ability to make homemade mac & cheese. Mine is strictly of the Kraft variety. ;)

Sierra on June 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM said...

Wow, knitting. I so want to learn...Wow, that is some serious construction at your apt. Hopefully by now it is better...

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!