Recipes to Tackle: My First Recipe Blogroll

Thursday, April 2

Goal: Tackle Some Recipes

Recipes to tackle- tackle because I'm no expert cook.

I really want to learn how to do these recipes... and how to do a lot of the cooking techniques involved in the recipes!

I'm gonna add a section to the right for "Recipe To-Do List" and cross these off as I try them :) ...I haven't done it yet, cause this took a little bit '0 time, but I will!

Quick Thank You:

Also, for all of you whose recipes are listed here, thanks! I really appreciate your inspirational recipe blogging :)

Here's a little, not-that-cool gift as a thank you if you'd like. I know not everyone is into the blog awards but I thought I'd use my Photoshop/Copy&Paste skills just in case. If you are listed below and you'd like one-- or both!-- please feel free... even if your blog isn't about cooking :) It's all fun, after all!

Inspiring Chef Award 2



Photobucket



With that, here we go!

~*~*~


Recipe Blogroll

Chicken:

Blue Cheese Chicken Burgers
  • Courtesy of Food Snob, who found the recipe on Mom on the Run's blog (love both of them!)
  • Need to Learn: How to cook these inside. We don't have an outside anymore... I have a "griddle," I've only ever used it for pancakes... can I use that?


Simple Roasted Chicken with Brussel Sprouts and Zucchini for Two
  • Courtesy of Not only Neurons
  • Need to Learn: How to truss a chicken... his recipe comes with video instructions! ...but where do you buy butcher's twine?!?!


Skinny Buffalo Wing Sammies

  • Courtesy of Steph Chows
  • Need to Learn: How to cook the chicken tenders without burning.


Chicken Sausage Jambalaya with Shrimp
  • Courtesy of Mom on the Run
  • Need to Learn: Umm... do I have to devein shrimp? They sell them that way, right?


Other Meaty Dishes:

Sweet & Spicy Meatballs
  • Courtesy of Duo Dishes
  • Need to Learn: How to throw a dinner party so I can serve these!


Stuffed Flank Steak
  • Courtesy of My Tasty Treasures
  • Need to Learn: How to do... everything. This is the holy grail recipe.


Poached Salmon with Dijon Cream Sauce
  • Courtesy of Phoo-D, who found the recipe on Epicurious
  • Need to Learn: Do I really even know what poaching means? I'm just not sure.


Pasta/Bakes/Dinner Pies:


Shrimp Scampi

  • Courtesy of Mom on the Run
  • Need to Learn: How to not eat it all at once :) And what type of pasta should I serve this with?


Chicken Marsala

  • Courtesy of My Tasty Treasures
  • Need to Learn: So... Marsala is a wine? Or something? I had no idea. Wow. Also, it looks like this recipe requires some careful planning and multi-tasking. I can do it.


Mushroom Bourguignon
  • Courtesy of From a North London Kitchen, who found it on Smitten Kitchen
  • Need to Learn: How to get boyfriend to like mushrooms... and by the way, "bourguignon" means served in the manner of Burgundy; or, basically, the inclusion of red wine in the sauce. There's your word of the day :)


Mac & Cheese


Appetizers/Sides:

Hummus
  • Courtesy of Steph Chows
  • Need to Learn: Where chick peas are in the grocery store


Lemon Dill Flatbread
  • Courtesy of Duo Dishes
  • Need to Learn: "Knead gently" is a little scary cause I've never kneaded dough. I don't think. But I'll just take it slow, since it's my first time (ha! ...sorry.)


Whole Wheat Cheese & Herb Biscuits
  • Courtesy of Duo Dishes (one of my favorite posts from this blog!)
  • Need to Learn: Well, this whole recipe is a little complicated. Just challenging enough for the New Girl. The slow incorporation of milk into the dough... I'm so awful at that. I always just want to throw everything together. But I'll focus!!


Healthy Shoe-String Potato Fries
  • Courtesy of Steph Chows
  • Need to Learn: How to cut these potatoes into strips without cutting my finger off. Can I somehow adapt this to my food processor?


"Fried" Zucchini
  • Courtesy of Steph Chows
  • Need to Learn: How to spell Zucchini (I had to double check!!)


Dessert and Decadence:

Double-Chocolate Biscotti
  • Courtesy of From a North London Kitchen, who found the recipe on her friend Batter Splattered's blog
  • Need to Learn: I'm just a bad baker, so I'll really have to focus, but now I have something to pair with my love of coffee! Need to learn not to drink more coffee just because of these.


Molten Chocolate Cake

  • Courtesy of Duo Dishes
  • Need to Learn: What can I use as a "ramekin" dish... wish I had stole some from my old waitressing job! Ok, no, I'm not a thief or anything, I wouldn't have. I'm just saying.


Malted Milk Ball Cookies
  • Courtesy of My Tasty Treasures
  • Need to Learn: How to chop whoppers without chopping my finger.


Quick-Fire Cookies
  • Courtesy of From a North London Kitchen, who found the recipe on Smitten Kitchen
  • Need to Learn: (1) whether or not I like almonds in cookies and (2) the "bake for about ten minutes, or until the edges are just hardening and they've risen slightly" has given me trouble before, as some of you may remember...


Fondue
  • Courtesy of Sarah Says
  • Need to learn: Which of my friends have a fondue kit!
~*~*~

Wow! What a list!
I'll try to do another one of these lists again soon-- it was fun!-- but only after I've tackled a bunch!

If you put a Recipe Blogroll on your blog let me know and I'll link it! Here's the image again:
Recipe Blogroll



Thanks to all of you food bloggers for your instructions and patience. I hope not to disappoint :)

And remember, if you ever see a recipe you think is easy enough for even The New Girl, let me know!

NEXT POST:
I swear, I'll gossip about my fab mac and cheese/ bbq dinner. I just couldn't help but get this done!! So fun!!


~*~*~
Your probably-too-ambitious,
hopelessly-hopeful-about-cooking
New Girl Blogger

17 comments:

Donna-FFW on April 3, 2009 at 12:10 PM said...

You are too sweet for words.. Thank you for those 2 awards, I will happily place them on my blog. Thanks for mentioning me and wanting to try my recipes. It really makes me happy that you thought enough of them to want to try:) Thanks again!

Susie on April 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM said...

Waiting on my Chinese food delivery then I read this and now I'm REALLY hungry! Thanks for the shout out for Ina's mac & cheese recipe. It's a great one and very easy. But use the cavatappi (it's a kind of pasta) instead of the elbows.

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on April 3, 2009 at 12:57 PM said...

I think I might try some of these recipes myself!!

stephchows on April 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM said...

I'm totally excited you want to try some of my recipes!! :D As for some of your Q's...

Not burning chicken tenders:
don't put the heat on too high, and keep an eye on them. I HATE dry chicken, so I always make sure to almost under cook them, since they will continue cooking a bit even after you take them out of the pan.

Chick peas:
You can find them in cans in the aisle with the canned veggies/ other beans :)

Cutting potatoes:
I normally slice a thin hunk off a long side so it has something flat to sit on. Then I cut my way across 1/4" at a time, then takes those slabs lay them flat and do 1/4" fry shapes :) Did that make ANY sense? haha

Kim @ Forever Wherever on April 3, 2009 at 2:45 PM said...

Great list! I've made malt ball cupcakes and icing before...yum! If you ever want to make them, I'll send you the recipe. To crush the malt balls put them in 2 zip lock bags and push on them with a heavy object. You don't need a hammer, just something heavy. One bag can break, so two is better. Keep messing with it until they are small enough pieces! Ta Da!
Have fun!

~Kim

Stephanie on April 3, 2009 at 3:20 PM said...

Love Smitten Kitchen. Read her everyday and drool over all the delicious looking food.

I studied abroad in the Burgundy (or Bourgogne) area of France! I <3 France and anything Bourgogne is fine by me.

The Duo Dishes on April 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM said...

Wow, thanks for including a couple of our recipes! Out of those 3...gotta say the chocolate cake and then the meatballs. We love our dessert before dinner. :) The chicken burgers and chicken marsala should be on our list next!

Chad on April 3, 2009 at 11:57 PM said...

You don't need to got butcher's twine, normal cotton twine that you get at a hardware store will do. Just get a small spool of the heavy duty stuff, cut off a ~3ft. length (always cut more than you think you'll need), and boil it in some water for a few minutes to sterilize it. I've been doing it for years and it works like a charm. Good luck, and if you have any questions let me know.

Mom on the Run on April 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM said...

Thank you for the kind shout outs and awards!

Questions Answered:

1. Burgers can be done in the griddle or a George Forman.

2. Shrimp does come divined and shells off. Your probably could find them in the frozen Sea Food Section.

3. Shrimp Scamp- I use Whole Wheat Thin Spaghetti.

Thanks Again!

I enjoy all the comments you leave!!

Anonymous said...

All those recipes sound amazing! If you don't get food and family magazine from Kraft you should subscribe to it. Its free and has all kinds of amazing recipes in it! I love it.

Jessica on April 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM said...

Best of luck! I'd love to hear about these if you try them!

LK- Healthy Delicious on April 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM said...

what a great list! for the stuffed burger, you can either use a frying pan (high to sear then down to medium heat- you dont want them to cook too fast since they're chicken)or broil them.

Ace on April 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM said...

You have another award waiting for you at my blog! I know... I rock.

rachaelgking on April 6, 2009 at 5:01 PM said...

That chicken and blue cheese burger? SO my dinner for night.

noone on April 6, 2009 at 5:11 PM said...

Mmm the thicken and blue cheese burger sounds good, I'm going to have to try that sometimes this week!

Rebecca on April 7, 2009 at 4:10 AM said...

Wow, I'm so chuffed I made the recipe blogroll! I hope the recipes work out for you. The chocolate biscotti is such a good afternoon pick-me-up, I might just have to make it again soon!

I can't wait to see how all the recipes work out.

Mom on the Run on April 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM said...

Sarah-

I need for you to email me so I can get some info for the granola people.

smmuconn@gmail.com

Talk to you soon!!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!