Buffalo Wing Ckn, Blog Award, Father's Day/Birthday!

Monday, June 22

Currently Listening to "Hello Sunshine," Syd Matters.

So, it was Father's Day Weekend!

My Mom & Tom were visiting Connie and Bill, Allie's parents and Abby's grandparents [see previous post for pictures of the adorable Abby and my friend Allie!]. So we're going to celebrate with Tom sometime next week.

We spend Sunday evening with my Dad and MarAnna, eating yummy grilled cheeseburgers and mac & cheese, which was nice!

happy father's day
The group, all smiles :)

We got him a onesie in preparation for the Twins arrival in December.

It was also my Dad's birthday this week, so he's really had a lot to celebrate.

Also, the same evening my Dad was able to give Siobhan her 17th birthday presents! With a big family, it's always someone's birthday/father-or-mother's day/anniversary/graduation, etc.

siobhan's birthday
Beautiful birthday girl! She got
a GPS from the 'rents--
not going to
lie, I'm totally jealous.


~*~*~

Cooking Updates

Buffalo Wing Sammies and homemade wedge fries, found on Steph Chow's and now crossed off my recipe blogroll!!

Photobucket
We had the buffalo wing chicken on buns
and the next day in wraps. Good either
way!!! I tore the chicken into smaller
pieces for the bun serve, but ate it up
tender-style in the wrap :)


homemade wedge fries
I. Love. French. Fries.


SO good. Ok... so technically Steph Chow's fries recipe was for healthy shoestring sweet potato fries. I love sweet potato fries!

...but Matt doesn't.

And since he's the one who spent 20 hours in a digital classroom for CFP this weekend (I know! 20 hours! He really did. He's really preparing for this exam... test on July 17th!) ... and since cutting potatoes is hard for me and includes the slight possibility of me slicing off a pinky (just kidding, Mom), I figured I would make the kind of fries eeeeveryone likes.

They were so yummy. No leftovers left, already!

I hope it was a nice reward for Matt, since he had so much classroom time-- bar food at home!!

~*~*~

Gifts!

It was Father's Day, and my little sis's birthday, and I'm the one getting presents?!

I know!

Saffron from a Sweetie
One of my dearest friends is currently in Azerbaijan, workin the Peace Corps thing for a little while! I sent her a package a while back, and she rewarded me greatly by shipping me some LOVELY things from Azzy.

Including SAFFRON.
Photobucket
I bought a special container for it. He's
getting along well with the other spices so far.


To a new cook, this is like gold.

...awesome looking, strange gold that I do not yet know how to use.

But I will learn!

THANKS Kim :)

~*~*~

Blog Award!

Thanks to Mrs. C for the Charming and Honest Blog Award!



I love it! Promise to award others in my next post :)
...I've said that before. But I mean it this time. Trust, people!

~*~*~

This week,
  • I've finished up Count of Monte Cristo. One of the kids I'm tutoring is really struggling with reading, so we're reading a couple books together over the summer. I'm glad to be done with it, though; I can start with Love in the time of Cholera, one of the books my Mom and I choose for our Summer Book Club.
  • I've been knitting away; actually, crocheting! I crocheted along the edge of Abby's Jacket to give it a more finished look. So excited that I know how to crochet now! I'll have more pictures of that when I give it to Ms. Abby on her birthday next month!
  • Working on a Web site for the lacrosse team I used to coach. Fun!
  • More survey calls for the tutoring company... these are getting less and less fun. "Do you have a couple of minutes to tell me about your tutoring experience this year?" Blah.
  • Will make time to go to the pool. WILL! It's summer!
~*~*~

Your about-to-eat-dinner,
excited-for-Transformers!,
Jon-and-Kate-ignoring,
New Girl Blogger

27 comments:

Ali on June 22, 2009 at 6:23 PM said...

Just found your blog and love it! You've got a new follower. :)

chow and chatter on June 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM said...

what a lovely weekend, will look forward to saffron recipes, I got some in dubai not sure what to do with it Reb

Susie on June 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM said...

Lots of fun stuff going on for you. Oh and if you're a french fry freak, love me some alliteration, you must try Pommes Frites at FoodTV.com We have a Pommes Frites take out place here and they're outrageous. Delicious fries and delicious sauces.

Lauren on June 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM said...

those fries are gorgeous and the sandwiches look delicious - I love buffalo chicken!

sarah on June 22, 2009 at 7:31 PM said...

stop

making

me

so

hungry
!!!!

some of us can`t wake up early enough to eat breakfast you know, sarah! and then we have to come and sit through posts like this early in the morning. pah!

:p

The Duo Dishes on June 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM said...

All that saffron!?@#?!@#@?! Do you know it's more expensive than street drugs??? You're going to make fun things with that. Lots of fun things!

Amy on June 22, 2009 at 8:49 PM said...

you girls are so pretty! your family's very cute :) and your food looks and sounds amazing!! good job with the knitting and website-making and cooking!

Anonymous said...

saffron? Gold for the foodie, indeed! Oh my gosh...I'm envious!
And how is this possible? A whole family of gorgeous people!

Iva Messy on June 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM said...

Hi! fabulous blog!!

<3

Stephanie on June 23, 2009 at 12:31 AM said...

You should explain how to crochet.... or put up some sites that are useful. I totally bombed teaching myself that and put it down for another day. You've inspired me again though.

Sarah Glova on June 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM said...


----- ----- -----
Ali- Your blog is great, too! Thanks so much! :)

Chow & Chatter- I've been doing some serious saffron research. Looks like I'm in for a treat; this stuff is supposed to be so good!

Susie- Love the alliteration :) Going to that Web site ASAP. I wish I didn't love fries so much, but I can't help it...

LK- thanks! I love it too. I didn't make it as spicy as Steph Chow's did, but it was yummy.

Sarah- Hahaha sorry! I can see how the time zone problem does put a lot of blog food in you face at a bad time. If I could send you some I would :) Eat breakfast, girl! Does a body good!

Duo Dishes- Really?! I knew it was exciting; I didn't know it was black-market exciting! I can't wait to start making fun things.

Amy- Thank you! That is so sweet! I've got a pretty cool family. And it was a pretty good cooking weekend. I'm hoping to have some more time for knitting projects today or tomorrow; I'd love to get some pictures of my progress!

Burp and slurp- Haha you're too sweet. My family's pretty cute :) I'm too excited about this saffron!!

Iva- Thanks for visiting! Yours is great as well!

Stephanie- That is such a good idea. Next time we play I'll take instructional pictures and have a whole post about it! It's fun, and you can play without knowing all the rules, but it's one of those games that the more you know and play the more you realize that there really is some strategy to it...
----- ----- -----

Valerie on June 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM said...

That chicken looks awesome! I will have to try it!

Sarah on June 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM said...

Mmmm french fries! Tyler is the official french-fry maker in our house, because I totally suck at it. I always either over or undercook them, plus I'm slightly phobic of the deep fryer. I think it's evil! It spits at me.

Anyways, I totally understand the "birthdays every other weekend" thing! I have 11 brothers and sisters, and 16 nephews & neices, plus 2 parents, and then all my in-laws, it makes for a bunch of birthdays to celebrate! I don't blog about all of them, which is bad... there's just so many! lol!

Kim on June 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM said...

:)

I'll send you some more of that whenever you want it! I'm SO glad you got the surprise package. I don't like telling people if I send something because I hate to ruin a good surprise, but, then, I never know when people get things and I get SO paranoid! Haha.

I'm starting to make lots of different stir-fry sauces lately and that's been lots of fun! I love stir-fry and rice, so it's been making for good meals. We have so many nice and fresh vegetables here that are cheap right now. All I want now is some broccoli!

Anonymous said...

Those french fries look amazing! Looks like your family had a great celebration weekend! Grats on your award!

Sebastian Anthony on June 23, 2009 at 10:43 AM said...

I don't want to sound like a broken record OR some kind of leering old lech but... really, your family is impressively pretty.

And your sister, well...

Can you at least pass my blog along to her? I promise I won't hit on her unless she seems earnestly interested in me.

Admit it, there are worse people than me to have in your family. ADMIT IT.

Donna-FFW on June 23, 2009 at 11:02 PM said...

Love the look of your buffalo sandwich, so delicious! Nicely done. Saffron, you lucky girl. Cant wait to see what you do with it!

Chad on June 24, 2009 at 12:05 AM said...

The pictures of your food is making me all hungry. I honestly don't know how you do it, I'm usually so hungry after making a delicious meal that I destroy it and only later realize that I should have taken a picture. You'll have to teach me your secret.

green ink on June 24, 2009 at 5:04 AM said...

Oh lord, all this food....I'm hungry again! Breakfast was a rather dismal affair though, I must admit.

Sounds like you're having loads of fun at the moment! Can't wait to see what you do with the saffron - I remember Delia Smith making saffron roast potatoes a few years ago, which looked divine.

xx

rachaelgking on June 24, 2009 at 11:21 AM said...

Oooo, I have the BEST recipe for sweet potato wedges... I tweak it a little to make it spicier, but it's delicious as is, too!

kathy b on June 24, 2009 at 12:53 PM said...

I love your blog. Im probably your Mother's age. You have a great way with words, images and your blog voice. I love upbeat and you are. :) Love the onesie for the dad. Are you all getting Big Sister shirts to wear: Im a new big sister?

I am a NICU nurse, so I see big sisters wearing them all the time. Much younger though.....
life is so interesting....!!!

Unknown on June 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM said...

i love "hello sunshine". such a great, great song.

um, those wedge fries look incredible.

Sarah Glova on June 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM said...


----- ----- -----
Mrs C- It is soooo good :) And thanks again for the reward!

Sarah- I am SERIOUSLY scared of fry thingies. Deep fryers just seem like a bad idea for a clutz like me. That's why I loved this recipe-- baked! 11 SIBLINGS! Wow. You know what I'm talking about... times three! Haha.

Kim- :) I loved my surprise. Seriously. Saffron stir-fry sounds AMAZING! Wish I could mail broccoli, but I don't think that'll work out well... haha...

Tamela- Mmmm they were amazing. Wish I had some more! And Thanks!! :)

Sebastian- Haha ok. Thanks for the compliment; my family is cool. And you're right, there are worse people to have in my family than the ultra-cool Sebs blogger. But I can't even get my sister to read MY blog, much less respond to a blind-date blogger request. So good luck with THAT.

Donna-FFW- I'm still researching, haven't actually made anything yet. But soon as I do, I'll post 'em here!!

Chad- Haha I forget every once and a while-- I hate when that happens! But I keep my camera out usually, so while I'm running around cooking I'll see it and remember. I think my real secret, though, is that I used to be an awful cook. So I'm REALLY proud when something turns out well-- which makes me want to take a picture! Don't know if that trick will work for everyone :)

Green Ink- I am having loads of fun :) SAFFRON ROAST POTATOES?! I'm looking that up right now.

LiLu- thank you SO much for that recipe! I am so making those!!!!

Kathy- Thanks for visiting! You are so sweet :) Big Sister shirts-- what a fun idea!! Especially for my youngest sister-- she's 17 so she's used to being the baby of the family, but now she's going to be a big sister!!

Kristina- Isn't that a great song?!?! I love music :) And... seriously, I just made those wedge fries less than a week ago, and I'm already wishin I had some more. Mmmm...
----- ----- -----

Shawna on June 26, 2009 at 12:32 AM said...

What a beautiful family :)

Congratulations on the award!

Shawna's Study Abroad

Ella Everywhere on June 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM said...

Greetings from Germany!

Those chicken pictures look amazing and are making me very hungry haha

Brilliant Farmgirl's Beauty Secrets™ on June 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM said...

HI sweetie,

you and your whole family is gorgeous :D I love food pictures!! I get so hungry.

Farmgirl

Sarah Glova on June 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM said...


----- ----- -----
Shawna- Thanks! My family's pretty cute :)

Ella- HOW CAN CHICKEN MAKE you HUNGRY. You're in Germany!! :) Go eat some good German food and take some pictures so we can all be jealous!! Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog while you're on your trip! Makes me feel very cool!

Farmgirl- You're too sweet! Thanks! I love taking pictures of food... especially when I REMEMBER to do so before gobbling it all up!
----- ----- -----

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!