No Can... but Muffins, Cookies, Hummus and ABBY JACKET!

Wednesday, June 17

Listening to "Passing Afternoon," Iron & Wine.

Article Update:
My article I was telling you about, the whole possibility of getting published? It has been officially submitted for publication. Woo-hoo! I cut it down to a final 25 pages and sent it off last night. We'll see! I'm nervous, but in the end it was good writing practice if nothing else :)

Stanley Can!
...so I didn't win.

I played two rounds, got 4th in the first round and 3rd in the second. Not good enough to get me into the final round. So I am improving! Maybe next year...

Matt played great! I knew he would... that's why I wanted to beat him. Haha! But he came in first during one of two preliminary rounds, which gave him enough points to put him in the "playoff runoff." He didn't make it out of that round alive, but it was cool to see him playing with some of the "serious croquet stars," almost in the finals!

Matt playing... you can see the
Stanley Can in the background!


Luckily, though, the hummus was a HIT! Such a hit... that it was all gone before I could take a picture. But seriously, if you haven't tried Steph Chow's hummus recipe yet, do so... everyone was gobbling it up! I got lots of praise!

Here are some Stanley Can moments
I did manage to capture:


My Mom and Abby, spectating.

My youngest sister Siobhan, who placed
1st during her first round! We were so
proud! She's literally jumping for joy...


small sidenote: today's Siobhan's birthday. She'll be 17! my
youngest sister is 17... so, of course, I feel old.

Allie (my best friend and Abby's Mom),
trying her hand at croquet!


Allie's Stanley Can Cake! It's a little
melted in this picture... but how
cool! She's very creative :)



Leah, my other best friend that came
to visit, and Abby after lunch :)


Overall it was just fun. Jason Jones, one of the members of the tourney that has been there since the beginning, ended up winning the cup (again). So next year he'll be the host!

~*~*~

Knitting Update:

The Finished Abby Jacket

All done :) I was literally still knitting the final sleeve the morning Allie and Abby were going to leave, because I really wanted Abby to try it on...

Abby, modeling her freshly finished jacket!

I really like the way it turned out! I might crochet along the edges to make it a little smoother, and then add a button... I have a little time to do that, since I'm giving her the jacket for her first birthday this July 11th!

Look at her smile! She's a very happy baby :)

It feels good to finally be finished... I can finish up my checkerboard! I'm still only on the second row of squares...

~*~*~

Cooking Update
To treat my weekend guests, Leah, Allie and Abby, I made muffins and cookies.

Smitten Kitchen's Brownie Roll-Out Cookies
(thanks for the recipe pointer, From a North London Kitchen!)
-Very yummy
-Easy, except you have to wait for the dough to chill for an hour. I'm very impatient!
-Not too sweet-- a perfect snack cookie!
-Great for cookie cutters :)
stanley can cookies

Steph Chow's Blueberry Muffins
-SO good!
-Low Calorie (unless, like me, you add a topping of butter/brown sugar... bad. I know. bad.)
-Quick to make!
Photobucket
These are totally all gone now...

~*~*~

And now ladies and gentlemen... I am going to click on my google reader for the first time since Friday...

145 posts?!?! Holy blogger, you guys!

...I'll try to catch up. I do have to work though, you know, so give me a couple days.

~*~*~

Your cookie-eating,
sister's-birthday-celebrating,
checker-square-knitting,
New Girl Blogger

28 comments:

Sarah on June 17, 2009 at 11:34 AM said...

So you didn't place first.... who cares? At least you had fun and you did pretty well, I'd say! If it were me, I would've been disqualified for hitting people in the face with either the croquet ball, or the croquet mallet. I am very uncoordinated, and radiate bad luck all around me whenever I do try to play sports.

That little Abby is SO adorable! Tyler's niece Abby is also adorable, so I've come to the conclusion that little tots named Abby are just too cute and always will be. :)

Bluberry muffins... now there's something I should try. I made banana muffins yesterday (bad, bad bananas) and they will be gone by tomorrow, probably (husband + pregnancy cravings = baked goods don't last long)

Great pictures!

Fidgeting Gidget on June 17, 2009 at 11:46 AM said...

Abby is so cute and she is totally rocking that jacket! You did a fabulous job on it!

The Duo Dishes on June 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM said...

Babies are fun. Who doesn't love a baby? And who doesn't love cookies. The brownie roll outs sound interesting. Oh and congrats on the publication submission!

Teach.Workout.Love on June 17, 2009 at 1:20 PM said...

awe that looks like so much fun!!! and what a little cutie!!!!! :)

Samantha on June 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM said...

Abby is an adorable baby! You did such a great job on her little jacket!!

Better luck next year for the Stanley Can! :) Sounds like you did well, though! And so did Matt! Where's a picture of YOU playing?

Trina on June 17, 2009 at 4:23 PM said...

Looks like it was a great day, even if you and Matt didn't win! Abby's jacket looks gorgeous :)

Suz on June 17, 2009 at 4:37 PM said...

You make me giggle, and Abby is so, so, so adorable! She looks like such a happy baby - and who can blame her?

Sorry you didn't win Stanley Can, but seriously, isn't just being there the whole point anyways?

Love you like a fat kid loves cake (or those muffins - yum!)

stephchows on June 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM said...

I'm so excited the hummus went over well AND that you liked the muffins!!! WOOHOO! :D

Ella Everywhere on June 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM said...

That jacket is adorable! And Abby looks soooo cute wearing it, such a happy baby!

Congrats on placing 3rd and 4th though! Next year you'll be in top form to win :)

kathy b on June 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM said...

the baby, the cake, the gorgeous knit sweater......a joyful post to read. Great images. Now for those brownies......hmmmm

Suz on June 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM said...

PS. I am totally trying that hummus. Sounds like a perfect excuse for eating more veggies!

thegamerswife on June 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM said...

The jacket is so cute! I have absolutely no talent to make something like that. Congrats for cutting down the paper for publication - fingers crossed! :)

Susie on June 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM said...

Abby is just adorable and the jacket looks great on her.

Fidgeting Gidget on June 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM said...

PS: I'm tagging you later on today at my blog!

Sebastian Anthony on June 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM said...

I love the cake! And your sister's hopping!

Does she look like you, and is she single?

Sarah Glova on June 18, 2009 at 1:59 PM said...


----- ----- -----
Sarah- It was fun! Abby girls are cute! Haha baked goods never last around me and I don't even have the pregnancy excuse :)

Fidgeting Gidget- Thanks! I've just started crocheting along the edge and it's turning out nicely!

Duo Dishes- Babies ARE fun!! And thanks, I really hope my article goes somewhere... like, in the publication...

Novelista Barista- Thanks! She's adoooorable.

Samantha- Thanks!! I'm hoping to do even better next year. Haha I was the photographer, so sometimes I don't get as many in-action pictures. I did get some cute ones with Abby!

Trina- It was definitely a great day :)

Suz- She IS a happy baby! And yea, just being there was the point... Love you too. Oh, and your p.s. made me laugh... only you need an excuse to eat more veggies. I make excuses to stay away from them.

Stephchows-- I know, your recipes are turning into my go-to recipes!!

Ella- I'm trying to think of this year as a practice round... next year, Matt and I are going to win!

Kathy- thanks, it was fun to write, too! I'm glad you liked it :) the brownie cookies are totally almost gone...

thegamerswife- thanks!! why is cutting OUT sometimes the hardest part of writing?!?

susie- thanks :) I'm hoping it'll look even better when the edges are fixed...

Sebastian- that cake was adorable. my sister is too. we do look almost exactly alike, but she's 17. so, as for your single question... I'll kill you. :)
----- ----- -----

Sebastian Anthony on June 18, 2009 at 6:50 PM said...

I'm YOUNG damnit! Don't make me feel old by saying things like that... :(

It's about the PERSON, not about the AGE!

You should be flattered that I'm looking for an alternative way into your family, sheesh.

me on June 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM said...

I'm glad your Stanley Can turned out better than Detroit's Stanley Cup....*heavy sigh*
thanks so much for your great comments on my blog - I so enjoy them!
P.S. Abby Sweater turned out great!! You must have great caffiene to get so much accomplished! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

green ink on June 19, 2009 at 6:38 AM said...

My youngest sister is 23! How old do you think I feel?! Last time I checked, I was 23 :P

Lovely, joy-filled pictures and post as always. Fingers crossed for your article - well done on completing something and sending it off, that's more than most people (ie me!) do! Happy weekend xx

Sarah Glova on June 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM said...


----- ----- -----
Sebs- hahaha young, old... I've read your blog. So don't even go there :) People always say I should be flattered when they find my two younger sisses to be pretty-- which they are!-- but my overprotective big-sis growl kicks in instead. Sorry, I think I'll be that way till after they're married. At least.

me- I so enjoy your blog! No problem at all!! And yes, the Stanley CUP finals were very sad. I think Matt's depression over the game played into his croquet performance the next day... and yes, i drink lots of lovely caffeine :)

green ink- I don't know what I'm going to do, they just keep getting oler! :) haven't heard anything about the article yet but it was nice to finish a writing project! I think we all have trouble with that haha. Happy weekend to you as well!!
----- ----- -----

rachaelgking on June 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM said...

Oh man- I just pinched those chubby baby legs through the computer screen! SO CUTE!!!

April on June 20, 2009 at 12:06 AM said...

SARAH UGH! : ) My work comp HATES me to post comments to you. Actually - it just won't let me and that's when I do all my good comments. I left a lengthy chat right after the first person who commented and then it erased my comment and says that there's some error. Totally like the 4th time to do it to me. Completely frustrating. Makes me not want to attempt to leave a comment. But, I know how much I LOVE to see comments - so here I am sitting on my semi-working yet utterly wonderful (in case it's paying attention) old computer leaving you some ramblings from my thoughts. To simply sum up your post - sounds like a great weekend, stinkin' cute baby, yummy food, good times. : )

sarah on June 20, 2009 at 12:59 AM said...

how much fun!!!! can i come next year? i will practice everyday! i swear! and be an asset to your team

Unknown on June 20, 2009 at 1:46 AM said...

Getting published is a great feeling. Even if you are a middle author that doesn't get enough credit :(

Ron on June 20, 2009 at 9:24 AM said...

Sarah, I do not know how you find the time to do everything! You're an amazing girl! StanCan, cooking, baking, knitting...holy!!! And hey, just because your sister is getting older, doesnt mean you're automatically older! I used to feel that way too, especially seeing my younger brother at bars...but i got over it...simply by accepting the fact that I'm still taller than him and better looking :p
Have a great weekend Sarah. Sorry I've been gone for so long and haven't been keeping up with posts. I've been a bad blogger!
Be well.

knitseashore on June 22, 2009 at 9:55 AM said...

The Abby sweater is so cute! I love the poufy little sleeves. I'm so impressed you're already making up your own patterns!!

Sorry that you and Matt didn't win the Stanley can, but it sounds like you all had a great time! Do you continue to play croquet throughout the summer?

Sarah Glova on June 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM said...


----- ----- -----
LiLu- I KNOW! She's adorable. i miss her!

JeremyandGirls- You poor thing! I am so sorry! Thanks for trying so hard; I do love your comments :) So thanks! And yes, stinkin' cute baby!!

Sarah- Haha DO IT! I'm sure you'd help. We want that can!

Chad- Middle author, huh? Sounds like someone's speaking from experience :) It's definitely not the biggest publication deal ever... but at this point in my career I gotta take anything I can get! So yea, it's a great feeling to even try. We'll see!

Ron- THANKS! That means a lot coming from Mister "I travel all over the world" Photographer. And no worries-- I'm a perpetually behind blog reader as well!

Knitseashore- I'm loving the poufy sleeves. I actually just finished crocheting along the edges, so it's FINISHED finished! And yes, Matt and I will probably play a couple more croquet games this summer at my parents. My family is big on games :)
----- ----- -----

Marta on June 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM said...

Sounds like you had a blast at Stanley Can! Lovely!
I've also tried SK brownie roll-out cookies with great success, they are easy to roll and taste delicious! SC blueberry muffins are dynamite!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!