Summer Blues/Me = Dork, Blog Awards, Half Birthday.

Saturday, June 27

Listening to "Beautiful World," Colin Hay.

Dear Blogger Friends,

What I'm about to say just might be considered by some of you to be utter blasphemy. So, I apologize in advance to anyone who may take offense.

But...

I'm ready for summer to be over.

THERE. I said it. I know, I know, you think I'm crazy. And I'm so sorry if summer is your favorite time of the year, because here I am wishing it away.

But...

I'm ready for school to start.

See, I've always been a big sit in the front row, raise your hand a lot, read the extra assignments, color-coded note cards NERD. I'm a school nerd. I love things like school supplies and new planners. I look at my fall school schedule at least once a week just because I'm that freakin' excited about it. I've already read the first chapter in most of my textbooks for next semester.

True Story.

And, next semester will be the start of something amazing-- my Teaching Assistantship. I worked my butt off in undergrad, trying to acquire the grades, research experience, internships and awards that would back up my lifelong dream of being a TA. Hey, some kinds wanna be movie stars. I wanted a free ride to school and the joy of teaching experience.

Last year, applying to grad school and waiting to hear about my TA application was such a roller coaster. First, I was told I wouldn't get the position because of a lack of funding. Then, there was funding, and I got my position.

Quite the Disney movie, eh?

And now, as we simmer through the middle of the summer, as my school books sit lonely on my desk, as my pencils and planners and notecards and binders and highlighters and erasers and paperclips hibernate sadly in boxes and slumped bookbags, I can't help but dream about that first day of school.

I need to snap out of it!

I have almost a month and a half before school starts. That's a lot of summer! I don't want to dream it away just because there are exciting things on the horizon! So, here's my...

List of Exciting Summer Things:
(to get my mind off of the starting-school excitement)

1. Abby's First Birthday- July 11th, 2009.
Oh baby Abby, this time last year I was feverishly knitting your a baby blanket, trying to finish it before you popped out of your Mom. I didn't succeed, but that's ok-- the wee hours of July 11th were a happy time for everyone, finished knit blanket or not. I'm very proud to be your Aunt Sarah and I can't wait for your birthday. I also can't wait till you're older and I can steal you away from your Mom for zoo trips and things :)

My first knitting project- and a blanket for
Abby's first year, given to her and her Mommy
last summer. What will I get her this year?!


2. Matt's CFP Exam- July 17th and 18th, 2009.
For over 10 months now, Matt has been working towards becoming a Certified Financial Planner. He's been in class every other weekend, on Friday evenings and all day Saturday, since last September. He's read countless books, taken multiple mini-examinations, and suffered through hours of in-person and online lectures. After all that... he takes his two-day, 10 hour exam next month. I know he's going to feel so great after taking that exam, thanks to all his hard work! And I'll be glad to say goodbye to the Saturday study zombie and hello to free-time boyfriend. Saturday baseball game, anyone?!

3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- July 15th @ Midnight
Did I mention that I'm a nerd? I've been to the premiere of each Harry Potter movie, in line at midnight with all the other crazy fans. When the books were still coming out, I'd finish my waitressing shift and immediately head to Barnes & Nobles, waiting in line with the other fanatics just so I could rush home and read. I'd usually stay up all night till I finished the book and head into work again right after. Can you imagine? D-O-R-K!


Can't. Wait.

Since Matt will be only a couple days away from his exam at that point, Allie might be my date instead. Fun!

4. Recipe Blogroll- Part Deux
I really enjoyed creating my first recipe blogroll. It's been such a fun project, always reminding me to try the recipes that I found and enjoyed on your blogs! I'm almost done with this one and I really look forward to creating the next one. Just a couple more recipes for me to finish first!

5. The 2-Woman, 4-Book Bookclub
The Mom/Daughter book club! I just started Love in the Time of Cholera. It's definitely a slow read-- slow, slow read-- but I'm enjoying it so far. Yesterday after I got off work, I went to the local wine/coffee bar where our knitting group meets, and read outside with a beer for a while. It was so nice! I might do the same thing today while Matt studies... even though I should really take care of some work things.

6. My Checkerboard
Progress has slowed since I recently frogged a row... but this knitting project is going to be a great finished product. Can't wait to celebrate it with a game of checkers during a summer picnic with Matt! After he takes his test, of course.

So I have lots of things to look forward to...

birthdays, books, movies, knitting and recipes. Plus, blogging! See, I knew a list would help. If I could just avoid accidentally coming across really adorable school supplies in stores... I just might make it through this summer without searching for a time speed-up machine on E-bay.

~*~*~

Blog Awards:

Last post, I thanked Mrs. C for passing me the Charming and Honest Blogger Award!


Here's the blog award description:

"This award is bestowed on to blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

And here are some other bloggers that I feel deserve the award (I accidentally chose more than 8):

1. LiLu: Girl, I know you've received it before, but you are definitely the most Honest blogger I know.
2. Burp and Slurp: I love how you intertwine your personal experiences and hardships with your new found courage and commitment to healthy eating. Lovely!
3. Fidgeting Gidget: A seriously amazing blogger. This girl puts up 7 blog posts to my every 1. She's incredible! Try to keep up!
4. Ella @ Here, There, Everywhere: She's on an extended vacation right now, but when she's home she's always filling us in about life and experiences on the dating scene. She's very honest about it all and it's fun for a "taken" girl like me to live vicariously through someone who's still enjoying the roller coaster of dating!
5. Sebastian-- Sebs, you're a boy. Normally, boy bloggers aren't ones to hope for blog awards. But if any boy can appreciate an award despite the chance that its frivolous aesthetics could make him appear just a tad effeminate... it's you. And you are quite honest.
6. Kym @ Bee Creative- This girl is hilarious, and quite honest. Her last blog post that I read was about the time she was questioned about her age in an airplane seat row that required all occupants to be at least 15 years old. And she's 21!! Don't worry girl, I feel your pain.
7. Cook. Lift. Study. THIS BLOG is by one of my very BEST FRIENDS! Isn't that cool? We suffered through high school together, and now she's up in Canada doing the Undergrad thing... love that we can stay connected through blogging. Oh, and she's charming and honest and all that.
8. Amy @ Rainy Saturday: Another honest, talk-about-life blogger. A great read!
9. Kim @ My Idea of What's Going On: My Peace Corps friend, who I love and miss, is a honest blogger... which is good, because every time I read her posts I feel like we had a quick conversation!
10. YOSH Sarah: Sarah is fun. A goof. In Japan. Named Sarah, and spells it right. What's not to love?

~*~*~

Also, thanks to Cucinista @ Working Lunch, I've received the One Lovely Blogger Award!


Thanks, Cucinista! I think you definitely deserved the Lovely Blog award as well!

Here are some more I'd like to pass this award on to:
1. Green Ink: A lovely, inspiring blog.
2. LK @ Healthy Delicious: She really does make everything look delicious, even if it is healthy.
3. Steph @ LesJouJou: Great all around blogger. I love her posts, especially Etsy Vintage days... plus, her Etsy shop was totally featured on the Etsy homepage the other day, so she's like my famous blogger friend.
4. More Yarn Please: Started this blog to answer a dare by her blogging daughter. It's lovely as well.
5. She Knits by the Seashore: A sweet blogger who incorporates so many things into each blog post. A joy to read.
6. Jenn @ Slim Shoppin': Always has a yummy, healthy post to enjoy. Definitely eyeing a couple of her recipes for my next recipe blogroll!
7. Sarah Says: Sarah is lovely and funny, and she's gonna have one lovely baby here soon! Er... I should say one handsome baby, not lovely, but was trying to stay in award theme. He'll be a lovely handsome boy :)
8. Chow and Chatter: Her recipes are so unique, it's always a fun read. Can't wait to try some of them!
9. Next to Heaven: Mrs. C's definitely got the blog thing down. A lot of times she's participating in writing prompts that just might inspire you to blog as well!
10. Ninja Knits: Another knitting friend who posts amazing and inspiring things. Her last post title, Foodgasim Continues, made me laugh out loud. in public.
11. Knitting Knoobie: Always one of the first blogs I visit when I start blog reading. I've been visiting her blog for a while and her stories of NYC knitting stores inspire me to keep knitting! Also, stories about her frogging projects make me feel like I'm not the only one :)

~*~*~

In other, albeit random, news...

Thursday was my half Birthday!

My birthday sucks.
It's on Christmas.

No, really. I was born on Christmas.

So my step-dad started this tradition back in the day where, in order to bridge the long period between Decembers--during the "presents drought" (Valentine's Day is nice, but mostly I just get lots of presents once a year. You summer birthdays better appreciate your parents timing!!)-- he gets me a small "half Birthday" present.

Cute, right?

He was actually in California this week so I haven't gotten my little gift yet, but we did all go out to dinner last night at my favorite local Mexican restaurant, Dos Taquitos, so I considered the margaritas my half birthday present. Even though we were really celebrating belated Father's Day and his return from Cali.

So thanks, Tom! And happy half Birthday to me-- can you believe you now have less than 6 months till Christmas?!

I gotta get knitting!

~*~*~

That's all for now; hope everyone has a great weekend!

Your Michael-Jackson-mixed-CD-makin,
soon-to-be-knitting, Saturday-afternoon-coffee-drinkin,
New Girl Blogger

30 comments:

Stephanie on June 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM said...

Awww thanks for the award! I don't feel famous, although I'd like to be ;) Etsy famous that is, not movie star famous. haha

Happy Half Birthday! I can't believe it's only 6 months until Christmas. I do need to start thinking about presents.

Anonymous said...

Whee, award! Cheers!
And I am totally with you there on the nerd front. I tried to go a year after uni before I realised that school is where it's at and I ran back to do a Masters. Plus I always found I was way more social during term time than when I was slaving away in the summer to pay for life.
xx

Sebastian Anthony on June 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM said...

'Quite honest'. Pah!

I dare you to find a blogger more honest and open than I. Hmpf. Girls sticking up for girls YET AGAIN!

But I thank you for the award, fair maiden. I will wear it with pride upon my quite-honest bosom.

Ace on June 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM said...

Happy half birthday!

Lauren on June 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM said...

thanks for the award!!

Chad on June 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM said...

You're not crazy. I can't wait for summer to be over and school to begin either. It can't come fast enough...

Kim on June 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM said...

Wow! An award! I don't know how to put those things up or anything like that... really. I could probably figure it out, but with dial-up slowness, I'll probably only succeed in frustrating myself! I know I've been slow to blog again, those ruts, you know, but I'm working on one right now! And I have a couple topics in mind. Two of which I'm just waiting for the madness to actually happen so that I can post pictures!

I was thinking just today how much I missed the halls and safety of the world of academia. We're all talking probably way too much about what happens post PC. We have a group leaving and that's all that's on their minds...

Jealous I'm not going to be at the midnight showing of HP!!!

Sarah on June 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM said...

I'm actually in the "can't wait for summer to be over" camp! Not because of school, but because by then I'll have my baby, and the scorching hot days will be long gone! I've learned it's really not that fun to be pregnant in the summer.... there is no hot like pregnant hot.

Thanks so much for the lovely award! You're a sweetheart.

Ella Everywhere on June 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM said...

Thanks so much for the award! I'm so thrilled that you enjoy my little dating-updates! There will definitely be more (I hope anyway) when I return :)

Sarah Glova on June 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM said...


----- ----- -----
Stephanie- You're welcome! Etsy famous would be nice :) And about Christmas-- I know! I really need to plan out my presents...

Shadyninjaknits- Haha school IS where it's at. And I agree-- summer just isn't as sociable as the school semesters... I'm really looking forward to August!!

Sebs- Pah?! Who says 'Pah' when they get an award? Sure it's just a blog award... but last time you did go on about not receiving one, and blamed it on gender bias. Plus, I meant for the 'quite' to be an EMPHASIS... you know, like saying "very honest," but the word "quite," well, sounded British. lol. See if I give you an award again... put that in your bosom. Pah!

Ace- Thanks! :)

LK- You're quite welcome!

Chad- SEE! It's not just me. I'm trying not to count down the days...

Kim- Haha please, please do not put yourself through the frustration with your little dial up. I just thought they were cute :) Pictures!! I can't wait till you post! Academia feels safe for me as well... plus, I just don't know what to do with myself when I have all this free time lol. Being busy with work just doesn't feel the same as being busy with school... I'll wave at HP for you!!

Sarah- 'There is no hot like pregnant hot' hahaha. Oh you poor thing. You deserve to be excited!! And you're welcome, totally deserved.

Ella Everywhere- You're welcome! They are fun to read :) But for now it's just good to read about your big trip! Travel safe!
----- ----- -----

April on June 28, 2009 at 11:47 AM said...

1. Curse you for wishing away summer! : ) I think I've been late to work more than half the time since "summer" officially started. I think it has something to do with the fact that I know it's summer and I should be sleeping in. BUT - that's not the case when you have a job - so I kinda need to get over that.

2. I CAN'T WAIT FOR HARRY POTTER!!! I'm a super nerd too when it comes to those movies. I remember being at a book release after I moved to Texas. I was soo excited - they had some dressed as Hagrid ride in on a motorcycle to officially "release" the book. Then inside, all the workers were dressed as witches and wizards from the story. It was pretty awesome. Super super nerd moment - but totally worth it!!

3. I know that you have a lot of reading on your plate already, but I just started a new book that was lent to me - surprisingly good!! It's called Testimony by Anita Shreve. It's about a sex scandal that happens at a boarding school in Vermont. I'm digging it so far.

thegamerswife on June 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM said...

Happy Half Birthday! Don't worry - I celebrate mine too ;)

I used to get SO excited about school just like you described. Last August was the first time in my LIFE that I wasn't preparing to go back to school (after I finished my Masters) and it was SO STRANGE! I'm glad you get to have some more school time :)

YAY HP! I only waited in line at midnight for the last book, but maybe I'll go to the midnight showing of the movie this year!! I need to start rereading 5 and 6 again in preparation for the new movie :)

Peggy on June 28, 2009 at 4:31 PM said...

Hi Sarah -- Thought I'd try this commenting thing. :-) Reading textbooks aside (which you know I've been doing, too) don't forget to enjoy your summer -- fall will come soon enough! (And it all comes much faster as you get older -- trust me. ;-) )

Unknown on June 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM said...

omg June was so gloomy I feel like summer is just starting and I'm head over heels for the heat! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award!!! *HUG* I received it before, but it feels SO great to receive it again! Thank you >.<

Okay, here's the thing: I am WITH you. Total fellow nerd, here. I cant wait to go back to college...after 4 years of waiting, I can't WAIT to go hit the books, write several pages of essay on Shakespeare, read like crazy, have occasional all-nighters...bring it on!!

And you're born on Christmas? Oh man...that kinda...sucks. It's a tough thing to share a birthday with Jesus! But then...on the flip side...that is SO FREAKING COOL. Nobody can dare forget your b-day now!

Unknown on June 29, 2009 at 1:04 AM said...

oh my gosh sarah, i'm deleting you off my followers list for wishing summer is over.

hahaha just kidding! i know what you mean about the excitement and anticipation for school to start and all the preparation involved! i dont go to school anymore so i miss that!

and i love the "half birthday" idea! that's genious!

sarah on June 29, 2009 at 1:46 AM said...

You think you were blasphemous? Try this on for size:I don't like summer :p there's nothing worse for me than being hot. Autumn could not come sooner!

I miss uni so much! The studying! The PENS and new files!!!!!! I was a TA and a 1st year teacher for a bit. It's fun!

Thank youoyoyu for the award! Goofy? First time I've heard that xx

me on June 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM said...

Happy Half Birthday! one of my college roommates did the same thing, except her family really celebrated it on her half birthday....when asked how old she was, it was always, "20 and a half" or "19 and a half" as that is what she celebrated..great fun too!
Thanks, too, for the award! How sweet is that!!! Keep up the fun blog!!!

Donna-FFW on June 29, 2009 at 7:38 AM said...

Happy half birthday to you.. What a sweet idea. I also looked forward to the beginning of school and by mid summer was anxiously awaiting the new school year!

Fidgeting Gidget on June 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM said...

Thanks, pudding pie! :)

I am NOT ready for summer to be over, but I am uber-excited for the Harry Potter movie, I'm jealous of your mom/daughter bookclub, AND my half-birthday was Saturday. That's right, I was born on December 27. :) I can definitely related to the crappy holiday birthday, I've been known to celebrate half-birthdays fervently. :)

stephchows on June 29, 2009 at 10:19 AM said...

happy half birthday!! and slow down and enjoy the summer you nerd lol :D

Rebecca on June 29, 2009 at 10:49 AM said...

OHMYGOD! You have a half birthday too! My birthday is also really close to Christmas, so my parents always did a half birthday for me. I'm so pleased other people have it too.

Happy half birthday!

I'm scared of summer being over, as that means school is totally finished for me. Forever. Scary, but exciting stuff. I'll just have to live through you and all your stories from being a TA, I can't wait!

rachaelgking on June 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM said...

"...you are definitely the most Honest blogger I know."

I can't even begin to argue with that ;-)

Thanks so much, love!

green ink on June 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM said...

Thank you darling! I am so touched. Happy half birthday to you xx

Ali on June 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM said...

You are so much fun to read!

The Duo Dishes on June 29, 2009 at 2:03 PM said...

Summer to be over?? Oh no! We love this time. Wish we could say we had time off from work, but unfortunately we don't. Boo.

Katie Wilkes on June 29, 2009 at 4:01 PM said...

Not that I want summer to be over or anything, but I LOVE school/office supplies. Unfortunately I have no reason to buy them, but I still love love love them. Always used to get so anxious about back to school shopping!

Marta on June 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM said...

I'm with you! I don't like this heat so much either, I'm ready for crisp mornings and chilly evenings to return!
I'm also so excited for Harry Poter!

Sarah Glova on June 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM said...


----- ----- -----
JeremyandGirls- sleeping in is a nice perk I get in the summer sometimes... but I'd still trade it for school :) I'm sure once I'm in the middle of my semester I'll be cursing myself for wishing away summer, too!!! You saw someone dressed as HAGRID?!! Too cool!!! I'll definitely look that book up-- I'm always looking for new stuff to read!

thegamer'swife- See! Half Birthday's are cool :) I'm glad I have more school time too... I'm a little scared for that first "no school" semester! What will I do with myself?! I think I'm gonna re-read 5 & 6 as well...

Peggy- Horray for your first comment on my blog! :) And don't worry, I promise I'm making an honest effort to enjoy summer.

...love Maegan- Sometimes I love the heat too... I definitely hate the freezing cold, so you'd think I'd be lovin this weather... I think I just need more pool time to cure my summer blues.

burp and slurp- You're welcome! And SEE-- as a fellow nerd, I can completely appreciate your excitement about Shakespeare and all nighters. :)

Kym- haha don't delete! I apologized!! :) Half Birthdays are definitely fun, and then it's one more day in your year to celebrate something!

Sarah- It is a little too hot... especially here in NC, it's getting kind of ridiculous. and I LOVE fall weather. And fall leaves... and football... but I'm supposed to be forcing myself to enjoy summer! Goofy?! That's the first time you've been called goofy?! Ms. Air Tennis, crazy Japan pictures, list of crazy japanese products, has never been called goofy?! Hmph. Well, I meant it in a very good way!

Me- Thanks!!! We definitely don't go as far as pretending that it is my birthday, but I can definitely see the benefits of doing so :) I've always wanted a pool party!!!

Donna-FFW- Thanks! It definitely makes me feel special :) There's something lovely and exciting about the first day of school... well, for some people anyway :)

Fidgeting Gidget- Happy Half Birthday to you too!!! So you definitely know how I feel :) Us Dec. babies just need a little somethin to celebrate in the summer... HP will definitely be one thing! :)

Stephchows- haha I know, I know :) I'm trying!

Rebecca- Happy Half Birthday to you too, then!!!!! That's so cool that you celebrate it as well!! I definitely understand, if I was in your position I'd be a little nervous as well. But I'm sure you've learned a lot and you're ready to go kick butt in the "real world." Haha yes I'll have lots of TA stories I'm sure, hopefully you'll be able to offer advice when I'm goin' crazy!!!

LiLu- You're welcome! 100% deserved :)

Green Ink- Thanks! And you're definitely welcome :)

Ali- Thanks :) Your blog is great as well! I need to stop by again and check on your pup! Hope everything's worked out!

The Duo Dishes- Boo is right. I should've used your cake recipe that I've got on my recipe blogroll to make myself a half birthday cake. Duh... oh well. Matt's birthday is coming up, I'll do it then :)

Katie- I think I'll still buy school supplies even when I'm not in school. They're just too fun... and if a couple bucks worth of pens and cute folders makes you happy... why not :)

Marta- EEEeek I get to excited thinking about chilly evenings and fall!!! And, yes, Harry Potter :)
----- ----- -----

knitseashore on July 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM said...

I am a nerd too, loved school, did well, miss it. BUT. I also loved summer then, and I love summer now, and because you are a sweet blog friend I will forgive you your blasphemy. :)

Seriously, thank you very much for including me in your blog awards list. It is so kind of you and made my day much better!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!