A Weekend with the Boyfriend's Parentals, DPN hat

Monday, April 13

Listening to "Forgive Me," Missy Higgins (I'm really, really into her music right now! Amazing voice, and all her songs have a different sound...)

I'm back! I have internet!

Ok... I really wasn't gone that long. But still!

Updates:


The Visit with Matt's Parents

I think it went well.


I always worry... do they really like me? They seem to... but I'm a worrier and I'm never really sure.

Well, there was a really fun breakthrough this weekend. Matt's Dad made a really funny joke at my expense!! I know, I know... you're thinking He made fun of you? That's a good thing? YES.

Mark Twain once said, "Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."

Eisenhower said, "A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done."

I really believe that the minute people are comfortable enough to make jokes at each other's expense, that there is a profound understanding, a sweet level of comfort, even a leveling idea of respect.

In my family, we're always joking with each other, telling funny-yet-embarrassing anecdotes, etc. It's what we do. That act of humor, when used benevolently, can be a very powerful tool. It's like saying... I respect you enough to make this joke, because I know that you're a strong person and that you'll think it's funny instead of taking offense. I love you and your mistakes/differences/humorous personality traits. I'll joke, You'll laugh, I'll laugh, and we'll be all the closer because of it.

So what was this joke?

Well, Snickers (Matt's parent's dog) was staying at our apartment while the parentals did a little shopping around Raleigh. When Matt's parents dropped him off they were giving me the run down (He probably won't eat too much food... he'll let you know if he needs to go out...) and Matt's dad said:

"If Snickers gets riled up, turn on Fox News. It really quiets him down."

My heart kind of sunk a little, but I shook my head and said "Ok, no problem." Then a quick look at Matt's father's face let me know that he was kidding. He was just saying that 'cause he knows I don't like Fox News. We all laughed.

You see, Matt's parents are very conservative. Now, they've never really engaged me in serious political discussion, but I'm... well... not very conservative. I think they've just come to understand this over the years (I can't believe Matt and I will have been dating for 3 years this August!!)... and they made a joke about it.

And I am taking that joke as "We accept you, even though you're different from us."

:)

Disclaimer: (Unnecessary? Maybe.) Now, I am a very open person. I don't judge others based on their political or religious affiliations, and this post was not designed to argue that there is a correct political affiliation. I have mine, you have yours, this is the Internet and here all ideas and types and partisanship meld together. So please don't think that I was attacking a way of thinking. I just really enjoyed the little laugh that Matt's parents and I shared.

Bad News:

Matt is still at his parents.

Matt is a Financial Planner, and a lot of his clients live on his parent's lake or around the lake. Now is definitely the time to be talking to your financial planner, so he ended up lining up a lot of appointments in that area. He's going to stay at the lake and meet with a lot of his clients...

A lot as in-- he won't be home until WEDNESDAY.

Wednesday?!?! What am I going to do until Wednesday?!?!

I know, I know, this isn't really bad news. In fact, it's just wimpy news. My dad is in the Army, so I know 3 days is no long stretch to be missing the Matt... in fact, we used to be in a long distance relationship where I would see him once every one-to-two weeks!! So what am I complaining about?

The apartment is just more fun when he's here. Sigh. I wish we had a dog. Well, at least I can watch some of my Sex and the City DVDs...

Cooking Update:

  1. New Recipe Idea: Matt's Mom made homemade pizza! IT WAS SOO GOOD!! She promised to give me the recipe for the dough, which was delish. I talked her ear off while she was making it, and it didn't look too hard!! Can't wait to try (and share!) the recipe!

  2. Recipe Blogroll Sidebar: I have finally added the sidebar affiliate to my "recipe blogroll." This was inspired by Tamela's Goal list that she has in the sidebar of her blog. What a great idea!

  3. Recipe Goal for this week: Mom on the Run's Shrimp Scampi!
Knitting Update:

Knitting lessons:

Matt's Mom always shows me some new knitting trick. This time it was with DPNs.

I learned how to knit with DPNs from my mom and from a video I found on Knitting Help. But both taught me to knit in the INSIDE of the double pointed needle. When you knit on the inside, you're holding your work so that your "knitting space" is in the inside, between the DPNs.

This picture kind of
demonstrates what I'm saying
(Ignore the "english style"
note, it's just to show how the
"inside" DPNs hold their work):
knitting on the inside

Matt's Mom taught me how to knit on the OUTSIDE of the double pointed needles. It went much faster! I did find this video that also shows the DPN technique that way.


When you knit this way, your
work is facing you like so:

knitting on the outside
Much easier! More space to work in.

After her lesson, I quickly finished my DPN baby hat!


Lamby is modeling my DPN baby knit
because... well, I don't have a baby!
Plus, Lamby is so cute!!!

Now I'm still working on the little green jacket for Abby... and no, I haven't finished the lining for my Cable-stitch purse. I really want to but I need some down time with my Mom to figure that one out.

I think I've thought of a way to easily knit a little flower that I can attach to Bria's bag. I already gave it to her, but she asked if she could paint a flower on the knitted bag and that's just probably not a good idea.

Blog Update:

A BIG thanks to Tamela for this new blog award!

Super Woman Award!

I really like this award. A Superwoman who does it all? Sheesh... Thanks! I must say... I definitely don't do it all, there's a million more things I wish I had time for, but the secret to what I can get done: Coffee.

Who can I pass the award to? That's almost too easy! I'm a nanny, so I'm going to give it to all the followers of this blog who are MOMS!!

YAY Moms!

I only nanny for 8 hours at a time and I'm EXHAUSTED by the end of the day. So here is YOUR award, mom followers: Mom on the Run, Ace, Donna-FFW, Hogan Family's April, Sarah Says (you're almost a Mom!), Knitting Knoobie, I'm Busy Knitting ... I think that's all but if I missed a Mom follower let me know and feel free to take the award!

[Post-Post Note:I did miss a Mom follower-- two, actually!
Tales of a Teacher's Mary
&
Forever, Wherever's Kim

-- you're Superwomen, too! ]

Congrats on being a Super Woman! You know you are!

Here's the code for your award:


~*~*~

That's all for now, hope you all had a GREAT weekend!

~*~*~

Your ousted-liberal,
knit-loving, coffee-slurping

New Girl Blogger

21 comments:

Phoo-D on April 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I think for people who worry (like me) there's always that little voice saying, "I wonder if they really do like me?" when it comes to in-laws. I've been doing my best to just ignore it but that can be hard!

Ace on April 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM said...

I love awards! You rock!

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on April 13, 2009 at 3:09 PM said...

I am glad you had a great weekend! I agree I think you made a break through with your boyfriend's dad!I had a boos once that would crack jokes at me all the time and no one else! I thought something was wrong! My assistant boss said, I was "in." she explained the boss only joked with people he like! So I have learn humor is a great thing!

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on April 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM said...

Oh, and the hat is soo cute! Now that you learned DPNs it is now time to start socks!! Have you checked out Ravelry.com? Awesome site for knitting! It has awesome patterns!

Anonymous said...

Welcome for the award! You deserve it!

Susie on April 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM said...

That's great that Matt's parents joked with you. I'm on the same page...that means that they like you enough and they're comfortable enough with you to be playful.
Aren't DPNs fun to work with? I have a book, Hip Knit Hats, I love and all the hats are made on dpns! They have it at Amazon if you're interested.

rachaelgking on April 13, 2009 at 7:55 PM said...

Isn't it great when you get along with the fam? I can't imagine not liking the parents of your love... it would make everything so much harder!

Stephanie on April 13, 2009 at 8:54 PM said...

Thanks for your little thing about jokes. I need to remember that more often. :)

Kim @ Forever Wherever on April 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM said...

Thanks so much!

Have you ever thought about opening an Etsy shop? I think you would do great!

I have another blog...EverythingEtsy.com -- It can help you get started.

My family is always joking...sometimes too much! :-)

~Kim

Jessica on April 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM said...

I agree! It's ALWAYS good if they're joking with you! My boyfriend's parents are the same way!

Vicki on April 13, 2009 at 10:30 PM said...

Thanks for my very first award. Yay!!
I know how you feel being on one side of the fence (the right side..haha) and friends or relatives or soon to be relatives on the other side (the wrong side..haha) My reputation precedes me, so I'm sometimes at a disadvantage. I come from a very liberal MA family.
Most people are very polite and I try to be too.

Donna-FFW on April 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM said...

I so think his parents liked you especially if the dad joked with you, whats not to like anyway.. you are smart, talented, and you like to cook.. Thank you for the award. I am honored to have this one!! I cant wait to post it. Also cant wait for that pizza crust recipe.. Thanks again!

Ron on April 13, 2009 at 11:55 PM said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! And yes, when people make fun of you, it does mean they like you!

Man, I gotta learn how to knit!

Have a great week, Sarah!

April on April 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM said...

Love that they joked with you! I'm constantly the "butt" of jokes (when I'm not dishing them out myself) - it's probably due to the fact that I'm extremely gullible. Oh well - makes for lots of fun!

Jeremy and his side of the fam are very republican - definitely found that out quickly! Me..I'm a little more liberal. I was raised by a single parent (and I'm an only child) and my mom was defintely a democrat. When Jeremy and I met we would butt heads on some insignificant things. BUT - I'm SOOOOO not a political person so when people get driven up about certain topics, I have this uncanny ability to tune it all out. I simply shurg my shoulders and allow them to wallow in their opinion (even if it's wrong!). : ) It's worked well for us though - I think that we've drawn each other closer to the middle rather than being on the far side of either wing.

Parentals liking you: his dad liked me. Mom...not sure. She said I had a potty mouth. I still do.

Knitting: Cute! Again - wish I could take the time to learn!

Cooking: Pizza dough...mmmmmm......Have you ever tried to make homemade flour tortillas? Delish!

Ok...I think I'm babbled long enough! See ya!

mary on April 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM said...

I've totally forgotten how much I love to knit!

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on April 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM said...

It's okay - no worries! Thanks for the award! My name is MaryVan11 on Ravelry

Brett Alexandra on April 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM said...

I just adore Missy Higgins!! I also had fears that my husbands parents didn't like me when we first started dating. It's so natural to think like that! I'm sure they love you!

knitseashore on April 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM said...

Your lambie is so cute! It looks somewhat like mine, which I still have from when I was small. :)

I don't knit with dpns very often, but just did a sweater with them, where the sleeves were knit circularly with dpns. So nice not to have to seam them.

Your cooking experiences are so inspiring!

Sarah on April 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM said...

Thanks for the award, Sarah! It's my first ever! Love it!

I hardly feel like Superwoman lately, I've been rocking a serious cold that keeps me lazing around on the couch, not doing very super-heroish things. But I'll take it anyways!

I'm glad they were able to joke with you, that's such an important step! Ty's parents started joking with me almost right away, and I felt too awkward at first to joke back! Now we do, and we tease each other mercilessly. It's really awful. :)

That hat is too adorable, but OH my GOODNESS Lamby is just amazingly cute! I love stuffed animals with character, she definitely has a bunch!

Oh, and the disclaimer was completely unnecessary. You say tomato, I say tomahto, but in the end, we're just talking about fruit. Or something. :) Poor analogy? Maybe..

Cucinista on April 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM said...

Just discovered your blog and am very excited to find a cooking AND knitting blog. Two of my great passions. My greatest disappointment is that you cannot combine the two. I did once knit a carrot. It wasn't the same.

green ink on April 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM said...

I love Missy Higgins - I still think "The Sound of White" is her best album :)

I'm trying to knit with circular needles at the moment....I could barely knit with regular ones, so it's a bit of a challenge! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!