Warning: EXTRA corny post about the boyfriend...

Tuesday, April 14

Listening to "This Year's Love," David Gray (one of those songs that reminds me of the bf)

Matt is coming home TOMORROW!

Actually... he's coming home today. Because, technically, it's morning. I can't sleep! Thought this would be an opportune time to (take advantage of my insomnia and) tell you more of this Mister Matt about which I keep blogging.

This is a new blog section is going to be called "How We Met."


How We Met

Let's be honest-- couples' stories are cute. Sometimes they're nauseatingly cute, but hey. If you have a story PLEASE share. We can't help it-- we all love reading a little mush sometimes...

And if you do share, feel free to add a little graphic and to let me know!



So, How we met...

~*~ August 2006 ~*~
Wilmington, NC

Crawdad Ct. is a strange name for a street. Still, when you're moving into your first off-campus house street names are the last thing on your mind. Unpacking is a joy, often paired with a beer, since adulthood springs from each hanger, each poster, each box. You blast music, dance through piles of unfolded clothes, and bask in the warm glow of a bed that will never have to be made. College is sweet.

This was my mood, overexcited and jumpy, as I entered into my new life on Crawdad. Fresh off an awful summer breakup (or just awful relationship) and riding the wake of ex-boyfriend hatred, I used each step into my new life and new house as one more push toward the classic you're-better-off-anyway attitude.

My new roommates were really nothing new: two adorable boys I've known and loved since the 8th grade. Dave and Taylor were as skeptical about living with a girl as I was living with two boys, but we were excited nonetheless. We were such old friends... what could go wrong? (More on that in another post.)

After being overloaded with rants about my sucky ex, my guy friends/new roommates forced me to shut up and go to a party at our neighbors' place. Now, don't get me wrong, I love people and parties and all... but I'm not really a party girl, and definitely wasn't an extreme one in college. I'll take a glass of wine and a movie over a party ANY day.

But... I was post-breakup and full of spontaneity due to my new life. So... not only did I go to this party... I went in a mini-skirt.

...And cowboy boots
.

YIKES! I know. What was I thinking. What would my mother have thought? Actually... she probably bought me that skirt. ANYWAY, needless to say, I was feeling pretty noticed in my boots and skirt. I easily slid into position on the beer pong table (usually takes a while at these college parties) and was enjoying some harmless flattery and flirtation...

UNTIL: this dark-haired boy shelled out something different. He made fun of me. Now... I don't remember exactly what was said. But it was about me not being good at beer pong, and it was paired with a sweet but taunting smile. I definitely remember being a little off-balance. All around were new, and more importantly-- not-my-ex, boys paying me positive, ego-feeding attention... and this guy was joking about my beer pong shot? I tried to brush him off...

I can still picture it. There I stand, outside on my neighbor's back porch at the end of some homemade beer pong table, skirt and boots and all, about to shoot a stupid ping pong ball at some gross beer cups... and there's this dark haired boy, fairly tall, nice eyes... standing off to the right...

Then... I feel it. Nerves.

I'm nervous?! I'm playing the dumbest games of all games, but I'm nervous about my next shot.

I end up missing, and the beer pong table is offered up to someone else. I walk inside, almost forgetting the whole thing, when--

Bam. There he is. Dark hair, fairly tall, playing darts. Winning at darts. We share a few flirty smiles, and he lets me throw a couple. With sheer dumb luck I hit a couple good shots. He's impressed, and I pretend not to be.

But he's pretty chilled out... not offering me any drinks, not offering up tons of conversation... as a matter a fact, he's not offering anything. He's very nice, not at all closed-off, but also doesn't seem interested in flirting like the other boys. He's an enigma.

In the end, I spend more time at the party talking to some other guy who thinks it's fate that he wore a cowboy hat to a party and met a girl with cowboy boots (...yea... original. Definitely don't remember his name.)

The next day, after much sleeping in, a friend of mine and I are walking out of my house and on our way to a dinner with some new boys we met. On the way--

"HEY!" says the front porch on the house two doors down. Bam. Dark hair, fairly tall, big smile. I smile back and try not to act surprised, but I am.

"You're still here?" I ask.

"I live here!" he says. "What are you doing tonight?"

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I met Matt. It's how I fell in love with my neighbor... how I went from being the girl-next-door girlfriend to the long-distance girlfriend and (now) to the live-in girlfriend... how a boy from Detroit found a girl in cowboy boots.

I still randomly thank UNCW, Crawdad... college parties... all the things that brought Matt and I together. Because since that party, for almost three years now, we've been practically inseparable. I've learned that (1) The nice guy is the good guy... LiLu has seconded this... and (2) Never underestimate something when it takes your breath away.



*~*~*~*

I have to end this story with something sweet... Rebecca has just posted a fabulous recipe for Lemon Posset. She called me out specifically because she's read my blog and knows I need a simple recipe and that I've failed terribly at desserts in the past. She suggested that I make this treat tomorrow (eh... today) to celebrate Matt rejoining the apartment life, and I plan to! Can't wait to share! Thanks Rebecca :)

19 comments:

Sebastian Anthony on April 15, 2009 at 6:51 AM said...

That's a cute story!

I wish I had a girlfriend right now, so I could tell a similar story... well, it might not be THAT cute, but maybe!

Though, I could tell some more stories about my past girlfriends...

Am I the only person that thinks you should dig up some photos of you in the mini-skirt and cowboy boots?

Susie on April 15, 2009 at 7:44 AM said...

What a lovely story, Sarah! You guys are a beautiful couple and I wish you as many happy years together as Glenn and I have had, which will be twenty two years this August.

April on April 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM said...

I will second that request for the mini skirt and cowboy boots! LOL!!

Loved the story Sarah! Congrats on such a sweet cutie (he's a pretty lucky guy too!).

Sarah Glova on April 15, 2009 at 9:27 AM said...

hahahahaha I don't even know if there IS a picture of that ridiculousness... but for you guys, I'll look...

stephchows on April 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM said...

Gotta love "how we met" stories :D cute!

rachaelgking on April 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM said...

I love love LOVE "How We Met" stories! Even if it's just that we got drunk at an Irish bar and made out on the steps of the Baptist church nearby.

Oh, just me? Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

awww that is such a cute/adorable story! I loved it! I met Michael at a party too! I was actually sick and didn't want to go, but my friends dragged me to it. Thanks for sharing and yay for him being home!

Stephanie on April 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM said...

Adorable story. I have a How We Met story for you, I'll get back to you though when I write it. :)

Rebecca on April 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM said...

That's such a great story! I can't wait to see how you get on with the posset.

Maybe you should serve it whilst wearing the mini-skirt and cowboy boots?!

Sarah on April 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM said...

I love How We Met stories! Especially because I have one of my own, so I can share the joy. :)

Tyler and I met at work. Not just any workplace, though, a pig barn... and if you know anything about pigs, or any animals, they are pretty disgusting. Poop, blood, vomit, pee, whatever... when you work with animals long enough, eventually you get covered with a little bit of everything. Plus, barns aren't air conditioned, so you get a wee bit sweaty when you're working. Just a wee bit. (read: sopping)

Despite being all shmucked in disgustingness, we managed to see each other beyond the grime, and we fell in love with each other's personalities, not looks. Which is really special, in my humble opinion.

Yours is a very sweet love story.. and yes I would like to see a pic of the skirt & boots outfit! Lol! :)

Donna-FFW on April 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM said...

I LOVE your story it it sooo sweet.. I think a mini skirt and cowboy boots are an awesome combo!!Hope your dessert works well, let us know..

C.G. the Foodie on April 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM said...

What a lovely story!!!!

Ace on April 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM said...

I love that picture of you two, you look so great together!

Thanks for the comment this morning. I think after 31 years of life, I'm finally getting stuff. Took me long enough.

PorkStar on April 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM said...

oh my, very nice!

green ink on April 16, 2009 at 3:09 PM said...

Lovely story!

Brett Alexandra on April 16, 2009 at 8:28 PM said...

Awww, that is such a cute story! The whole beer pong college party scenario made me laugh. I so remember those! I was not a huge party girl either but went to some occasionally. Once I hit 21 we went to the bars. It's so fun to look back in the beginning of your relationship! I will have to share soon. You guys are adorable!

ALSO, "This Years Love" is one of my FAVORITE songs!

Samantha on April 22, 2009 at 8:52 PM said...

What an adorable story of how you and your boyfriend met!! I look forward to you sharing more cute relationship stories! :) I'll have to write more myself, lol.

Stephanie on May 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM said...

Hey! I finally got around to posting mine. You can find it here:

http://lesjoujou.blogspot.com/2009/05/comment-nous-avons-fait-la-connaissance.html

Thanks for the idea!

Pursuit of Matching Accessories on May 22, 2009 at 9:01 AM said...

Omg that is the most adoreable story!!! It sounds like something out of a Nicholas Sparks novel, especially since it's based in Wilmington. :)

By the way, I LOVE your layout!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!