Apartment / Knitting Update

Friday, March 27

Listening to "Bittersweet" James Taylor (another one off the rainy day playlist)

Ok, so I wasn't eaten by termites or anything. We moved out for a couple days, which was hectic and crazy. The complex put us up in their "spare suite," which I swear was just the "show" apartment... you know, that furnished apartment they give you a tour of when you're looking at the place for the first time? Yea... we were living there. In a weird way, it was kinda like being in a dollhouse.

Then we got back yesterday... I cleaned everything. Then I had them come in and clean... kind of obsessive... but I needed it. After that, for sanity's sake-- can't get enough clean.

They drilled under our apartment for two days to get rid of the suckers, so we've been assured it won't happen again. I'm not holding my breath... when I walk in the apartment I still won't enter until I've turned a light on, and I'm always staring at the floor looking for new invaders... but it's been great so far :) Good to be back!

Here's a drastically overdue knitting update-- get the topic away from bugs :)

Sorry about these pictures below! I just took them with my little mac's camera for time-saving reasons since none of these projects are actually finished.

Bag for Bria
Bria's the kindergartner I nanny... she saw the cabled bag I'm working on and said she really really REALLY (direct quote) wanted one. She's five and doesn't need a serious purse though... so I just started knitting this instead.
purse for bria
Holding it together... not totally
done
with the strap yet! Then I'll
sew it up and
be done-- quick
and easy :)


It's fun, simple, and Bria saw a preview of it and liked! 5-year-old approval is always nice :) I think I'm going to put her initials and a flower on the front with some dark blue yarn...

Hat for Abby
White for Easter!
Photobucket
My first double-pointed-crazyness
project-- my mom swears by this
method but I'm really finding the
great # of needles to be confusing!
Hat looks good so far though :)

I'm also making Abbster a little spring jacket in this beautiful dark green, but I need help with it. My lovely friends in the Raleigh Stitch & Bitch group are helping me navigate through this not-so-well-explained pattern and I need some more of their amazing insight...

Cable Purse, or "The Christine Bag"
I'm done!

Well... kinda. I'm done with the body.

cable purse
See my cables?!?! Kinda? I know, bad picture.
Cables are so fun and easier than I thought...
And see my shameless plug
for global-warming
awareness? It's my favorite shirt :)

To finish the bag: I don't have the necessary black handles and I have NO idea how to "line the bag." The pattern doesn't have any instructions for that part so I'm just gonna wait for my Mom to have a spare second to teach me.

I hope you all have a GREAT and bug-free weekend. If you haven't had your house inspected for termites lately I would maybe do so :)

OH! And Stephchows put up this really awesome recipe for bread forever ago and I'm gonna try it this weekend. I think it may be my first successful cooking/baking adventure in a while :)

-The New Girl, who is now just your
termite-expert, girl-next-door blogger.

10 comments:

Ace on March 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM said...

I need some new easy baby blanket patterns to knit. I get frustrated when things take too long!

Come by my blog for a surprise!

Stephanie on March 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM said...

I've never lined a bag but there have to be some kind of instructions somewhere.

As to DPNs, they are my completely favs! I really really dislike circular and only use the ones I have for projects with a lot of stitches.

Susie on March 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM said...

Is there anyway you guys can get another apartment in the same complex? Hopefully that won't have to happen and it's all over and done with.
Love the bag! Did you love making cables? Aren't they so fun? They look difficult but aren't. One of my favorite reasons for loving them.
I'm with you on the dpns though. They take a bit of getting used to but once you get it down, you'll be just fine.
Have a great weekend!

PorkStar on March 27, 2009 at 8:13 PM said...

Hmm, knitting, now that's an idea.

Donna-FFW on March 28, 2009 at 8:23 AM said...

They look fantastic.. Nice job!

April on March 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM said...

First - LOVIN' the shirt!
Second - Undertand the stop and search before you enter the house.
Third - I truly dig cable knit.
Fourth - Approval from kids are the BEST!

Glad to hear that you're getting back into the swing of things!!

Vicki on March 28, 2009 at 8:46 PM said...

I could use a t shirt like that.

Anonymous said...

If I ever have a termite problems i'm coming here for advice. haha. Hope yall don't have an incident like that again

ryan
http://eschete.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I really need to learn how to knit...I love knitted scarfs and would to be able to make my own.

knitseashore on April 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM said...

Looks like you are making some great knitting progress! One bag that I did required a lot of special finishing, and I don't sew at all, so I had a local knitter finish it for me. She specializes in bag linings and it was so worth the cost. Maybe your LYS has someone like that available?

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!