Know Thyself. Then make hummus.

Thursday, April 30

Listening to "Dream" The Cranberries.

OK-- SEMESTER IS OVER!!! Woo-hoo!!!!

I love summer!! (But of course, I'm really excited for school to start next semester :). Mostly because I'm gonna be a TA. EEeekk!!)

So I learned a lot of useful things this semester, but one exercise in particular was fun: The Myers Briggs Personality Inventory. In my Public Administration class, we talked about organizational structure, communication, power, etc... and we even talked about the importance of personalities. I did a presentation about personality and the affects it may have on your performance in the workplace. To complete the report, I took the Myers Briggs.


What's Myers Briggs?
Now, some of you may have taken this before. It's a small, quick personality inventory that judges whether you are:

Extrovert or Introvert
Extroverts get their energy from being around people, groups, socializing; Introverts get their energy from being alone, contemplating, and are more introspective. This doesn't necessarily mean shy vs. not shy; it's more-- how do you best interpret information. Do you think better after being alone for a while? Then you may be more introverted. Need people/noise/social atmosphere to be happy and calm? You may be more of an extrovert.

haha... cute.


Sensing or Intuition
Have you been described as gullible? Or are you more pragmatic, never believing the results until you see some statistics? Sensing personalities rely on the five senses (sight, smell, taste, feel, hear) when making decisions-- they need tangible evidence. The intuition types do not necessary make choices based on the senses; instead, they use emotions or past experiences to make decisions or interpret information.

Thinking or feeling
Are you a logical person? Do you trust laws, rules, and justice above all else? Or, do you have trouble with laws and rules. Instead, are you always contemplating the individuals involved, not the rule or law involved. Thinkers tend to look at laws and rules, making detached decisions based on what's "right." Feelers tend to be more involved in the decisions they make, trying to empathize with the situation and basing decisions on those associations.

Judging or perceiving
This one ties together sensing/intuition and thinking/feeling. Do you enjoy being committed to a task, following the updates and progress, and completing work within the well defined boundaries? Or, do boundaries make you uncomfortable? Judging types typically like to work in settings where the boundaries, requirements, etc. are clearly defined and well understood. The perceiving types are less comfortable with those and view them as restrictions.

Important: Why does this matter?
Know thyself. If you know that you are an introvert, maybe that's why you have trouble during performance reviews. Your boss calls you into her office, throws some long-term goals and ideas at you, and you have trouble reacting. You leave the room feeling as though you performed poorly, but later (once you've had time to think) you come up with all these great "I should've said"s. You're an introvert! You need alone time to think. Changing the scheduling of this conversation, or how you receive her comments, could change your reaction-- and her interpretation of your performance.

Or, if you're an extreme sensing type, but your wife is not-- hey. Maybe that's why your arguments get so convoluted. You're trying to beg against her with facts and figures, but you're not getting through! She seems confused-- even offended-- by your argument. That's because you're not talking about the emotional issues that go along with the conflict, you're only talking about the facts. Her personality has trouble interpreting facts in an argument; she better understand emotions and feelings. Maybe you could change the way you discuss future plans.

Finally, let's say you're planning a family vacation. You're ready to lock in a date, plan out the hotel, and develop an itinerary. Your kids are ready to kill you. Well, you're a judging type. You want to be locked into this commitment, while they're young perceivers. They want to experience the thrill of the not-so-planned-out vacation. Maybe you could talk about that.

Knowing yourself, your likes, your preferences, your attitudes-- it helps you adapt to others, to make sure you're being heard, and to make sure you're listening.

So. Click here to take the test for free, and let me know what you think :)

In case you were wondering, I'm a slight extrovert. I'm completely balanced for sensing/intution and judging/perceiving, but I am an EXTREME feeler. I'm not even close to a thinking type.

Matt is a more intuitive thinker, but he's also balanced for sensing/intuition and judging/perceiving.

So, it's not about finding someone who's exactly like you. Opposites attract, remember? But knowing more about eachothers personalities can sometimes assist with the communication-- and everyone knows that's key.

Have fun!

~*~*~

Cooking Goals for this weekend:
-Egg salad for Matt (his request!)
-Hummus (Steph Chow's recipe)
-Maybe a dessert... haven't decided

~*~*~


Your personality-contemplating
New Girl Blogger.

20 comments:

thegamerswife on April 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM said...

I studied the Myers Briggs a LOT in graduate school since I was studying to be a counselor. I've always found it so interesting!

When my husband and I were doing our pre-marriage counseling we also took the test together, and had to discuss how our different types would affect our marriage. We learned a lot about why we act certain ways to each other! It was pretty neat and I'd definitely recommend it to other couples!

Unknown on April 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM said...

No better way to waste time at work than with a quiz. Thanks! G'luck with the hummus and dessert.

Fidgeting Gidget on April 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM said...

Yum!! Egg salad! What recipe are you using? I use the Eggland's Best one...it has lots of veggies in it and uses a bit of plain yogurt in the place of so much mayonnaise...yes, there's still mayo, but a lot less. That sounds really good now, I'll have to make some soon! Have fun this weekend!

green ink on April 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM said...

Hummus ROCKS. Especially homemade - nothing beats it! Enjoy :) x

Ace on April 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM said...

Here you go...
# moderately expressed introvert
# distinctively expressed sensing personality
# slightly expressed thinking personality
# slightly expressed judging personality

Brett Alexandra on April 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM said...

Oh, fun! I will have to try it!

Let me know how the hummus turns out:) sounds yummy!

Trina on April 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM said...

I tagged you in a meme! I hope you can reply :)

Ron on April 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM said...

Hummus is absolutely my favorite!!!
Oh, you'd be proud of me this past week, I cooked in the forest--beans and eggs!!! Yum!

Amy on April 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM said...

i love these tests! i'm extroverted, intuitive, feeling, and distinctively judging :)

hummus is sooo good. i've been craving it!

Samantha on April 30, 2009 at 8:03 PM said...

I really enjoyed this post! Putting my personality to words is often the hardest thing for me to do when I write... I never know how to explain myself. When I can do little exercises like this, it helps me to pinpoint more about myself that I never really thought about. :)

Sebastian Anthony on April 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM said...

I'll take the test tomorrow, when I'm a little more awake :)

Your result doesn't surprise me in the least...!

Mmm, hummus.

Rebecca on May 1, 2009 at 4:19 AM said...

Wow, that was really interesting. I couldn't resist looking at my potential careers, funnily enough education is at the top of the list! Not a surprise really, but nice to know I'm heading in the right direction.

Can't wait to see how the hummus works out, I love it homemade, maybe I'll make some too.

stephchows on May 1, 2009 at 10:07 AM said...

I love those comics!!! I hope you like the hummus, I need to make some more this weekend too actually! It will go perfect with the alfalfa I just sprouted!

Kim on May 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM said...

Howdy!

Video, done. Will be posted next week when I'm in Baku! :)

I had to take the MBTI 3 times at UNCW! Ridiculous! 2 of the times I was very I and T (almost to the max!), more N than S, and a very little bit more J than P, pretty much. But, the last time I took it, I was a bit more P than J. So, the JP is my either way letter.

I just made curried egg salad yesterday. It was yummy! I like to throw apples into mine. And use yogurt instead of mayo. I also like walnuts in it, too. Haha.

Sebastian Anthony on May 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM said...

ENTJ, but borderline all the way... 1-20 or so in each of the categories.

Kim on May 2, 2009 at 2:50 AM said...

I just did that one again over my morning coffee. INTJ. Distinctly INT, slightly J.

They call me a mastermind. :)

Donna-FFW on May 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM said...

Can't wait to see the hummus. Ill have to try thatquiz,, although I am afraid to:)

Pinked on May 2, 2009 at 3:01 PM said...

Hey Sarah! So excited for your TA position!! Have a fun summer! I got into Uni too, JUST found out!! So South Carolina in two months :D excitement!!

P.S. I will be asking you all North Carolina related Qs :P

Hit 40 on May 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM said...

Cute blog!

I wonder if I posted my cooking goals if I would actually cook them??

Cucinista on May 4, 2009 at 11:29 AM said...

I love a personality test, and I think the Myers-Briggs is great for learning more about yourself and others. It's amazing how knowing you are sensing and your partner is intuitive can change an argument! Also I love hummus. LOVE hummus.

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!