Cooking Update and Donating Life

Saturday, April 18

Listening to "If You're Gone," Matchbox 20.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the nice comments on my last post... I still get a little sad sometimes about the change of plan, but I'm getting used to it.

I have the choice to:
1. Accept the limited funding and no TA position, enroll in school as is and graduate by Dec. 2010 or, at the latest, May 2011.
Plus side
: graduate faster, stay in school. Negative side: Lots more loans, will have to find better job OR
2. Take a year off school, enroll again in August 2010 with the TA position, but put off graduation till May 2012.
Plus side
: no loans, maybe even make money. Be a TA! Negative side: WAY longer till graduation, what will I do in my whole year off? Will I end up going to school after a year off? Never know what could happen!

confused!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay in school, get a different job, graduate on time and try to be a TA while working towards my PhD. Everyone seems really supportive of my decision and I think it's what's best. But I'll let you know :)
~*~*~

Cooking Update:

Recipe Blogroll Experiment of the Week:
Mom on the Run's Shrimp Scampi:
  • Simple and Delicious Recipe
  • I didn't devein my own shrimp... I bought some frozen ones that were already like that. I know-- cheater!!

  • I added red and green peppers, only because we had them in the fridge and they were about to go bad. But even without it, would've been a great recipe...
because the shrimp were SO good!
shrimp

Thanks, Mom on the Run! I'm happy to have enjoyed your recipe and happy to scratch it off on my Recipe Blogroll.

~*~*~
Finally, I just received this e-mail:

Marie is declining daily.

New symptoms this past weekend of bleeding and blood levels off have raised her score on the liver transplant list for a dead person's liver; however, she has thousands ahead of her. The doctor's at Duke assure me that if there is an emergency, they can complete the evaluations for Marie, Joe as the donor, get 2 operating rooms and staff, and maintain her for 3 days. They are doing the best they can.

People, pray that we never go there with an emergency. Marie is increasingly tired, frustrated and wants this to be over NOW. Please pray for peace and patience for Marie, clarity and wisdom for the doctors and staff at Duke, peace for Joe and Lydia, patience and strength for Brenda, and TIME!!!!!!!


Oh yeah, if anyone is TYPE A blood, would you consider donating blood in Marie's and Joe's name because we need to start banking some.

Love to all,
Bren

~*~*~
If you live in the NC area and would like to donate blood in Marie's name, let me know and I will give you this family's contact information.

Otherwise, bloggers, I had an idea-- something we could all do, no matter where we live.
donate blood

I know everyone has a story, or knows of a story, in which someone's life depended on other's donations of blood. It's the fastest, easiest, and most common way for us all to save a life. So, if you'd like, post a story and maybe even post this supportive button on your blog somewhere. You can link it to your own post about blood donation-- in the code below, where it says "PUT YOUR LINK HERE," copy the URL of your personal blog post about donating blood.



One small way we can all remind others about donating blood.

~*~*~
-Your coffee-sipping,
loving-Saturday-afternoons,
New Girl Bogger

15 comments:

Ron on April 18, 2009 at 12:54 PM said...

Don't think too much--life's too beautiful to waste all that brain power on contemplation. Instead, feel what's right in your heart and go for it.

Have a great weekend, Sarah!

Jennifer on April 18, 2009 at 4:43 PM said...

I love that picture of the baby!

The shrimp looks great too! I almost always buy frozen shrimp so I don't have to devein it. That takes too much time!!

Amy on April 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM said...

I think you'll end up making the right decision whatever you choose. Either option could work out nicely for you! :) Shrimp scampi is sooo good.

Kim on April 18, 2009 at 5:16 PM said...

Either way, you'd be graduating way quicker than me! I don't think there's any possibility of school for me until August 2011! Getting back just in time for your birthday 2010 really doesn't suit the whole grad school timeline so well! Whatevs, I'll figure something out for those months in between... maybe pay off some undergrad? Haha. You'll, too, figure it out and you should be happy with any decision because they both have very good prospects! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Whatever you decide it will be the best for you!

I try to donate blood as often as I can with the blood bank being so low. Thanks for the reminder.

Brett Alexandra on April 18, 2009 at 8:43 PM said...

Wow, you have so much on your plate right now! I know whatever decision you make will be the right one, though. They both seem to have their pros and cons. Don't stress too much! It all works out. That's what my mom always told me and it calmed me down some in these situations.

The shrimp looks delicious!! Mouth..watering..right now!

Marie and her family are in my prayers.

Donna-FFW on April 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM said...

Sarah.. your shrimp looks wonderful. I love scampi. Awesome job. I think your decision is a smart one and feel you should go with your gut. Youre a smart one, I have all the confidence in the world in you.

Sarah on April 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM said...

Mmmm... shrimp... I don't eat shrimp nearly as often as I used to, because Tyler hates all seafood, and also I'm pregnant so very little seafood for me. :) But man oh man does that ever look good.

Whatever option you choose will be the right one. Don't sweat it too much. :)

I appreciate the effort you're making for raising blood donor awareness... my mom's life was saved because of blood transfusions (both times because of complicated deliveries..) It's a really easy way to help save someone's life.

I'll pray for your friend Marie, hopefully there are people in the NC area who will read this and donate blood for her.

Suz on April 19, 2009 at 8:56 PM said...

If you're gonna be sad, you have to mean it. Get it all out and be really sad. You'll run out quickly.

Then you get to be happy about all these new opportunities and chances that are going to open up for you. This could be the best thing to ever happen to you, wrapped up in the worst of packages.

Chin up kid.. you're gonna do great. If you can make that yummy looking shrimp scampi without burning the house down - you can do anything.

green ink on April 20, 2009 at 7:26 AM said...

I'm sure you'll make the right decision Sarah - if you follow your heart, you'll never go wrong. I found experiencing life outside of relentless studying was quite liberating. Whilst going back to study is still something I know I will do eventually, it's no longer the be-all and end-all it once was.

That shrimp looks so darn good.
And thanks for the reminder about donating blood - it's on my 101 in 1001 days list, and I really should stop putting it off!

xx

The Duo Dishes on April 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM said...

Best of luck with the school decision. You'll choose the one that works best for you! Yum shrimp and pasta!

stephchows on April 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM said...

Girl whatever you choose will be the right thing for you! I worked while doing grad school part time and really enjoyed being able to put my classroom lessons into real life. I know for me if I took a year off, I probably wouldn't have gone back. But I also know plenty who have and loved the year off. Best of luck to you in whatever you pick!!!

Vicki on April 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM said...

Just read your Tweet about the good news!! Wowee! You'll be great as a TA.
Vicki

Jessica on April 20, 2009 at 9:24 PM said...

Things will get better! Hang in there!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!