March Snow, spring knits and how NOT to make Chicken Noodle Soup

Monday, March 2

Listening to "Back in Love," Estelle

It's March in North Carolina-- and it's SNOWING!!
[Above] Right outside my porch...
[Below] our apartment's courtyard

Boyfriend was actually STILL here till almost 10am on a Monday! Amazing, because he's quite the workaholic (in a good way). I love our mornings... especially when he makes me BREAKFAST!

Snowday Breakfast: Egg, ham and cheese bagel
with a side of turkey bacon. Breakfasts are
definitely his specialty. He makes the eggs
just like McDonalds... but better, of course!


This week:

1. Got sick.
One of the kids I tutor had to cancel a session because of the flu... and I'd just seen him two days prior. It was only a matter of time...

2. Made the worst Chicken Noodle Soup EVER
First of all, I was sick. Second of all... I was sick. So this isn't completely because I'm an inexperienced cook.
Don't let this photo fool you... it's awful.

I tried to make Chicken Noodle in the crock pot. I figured... I'll lay on the couch with tissues and make my own homemade flu remedy, right? So I turned the pot on high (I wanted my remedy right away!) and promised to check it soon. Then I fell asleep... for hours. When I work up, the noodles had disintegrated, turning the "soup" into noodle-sauce mush.

New Girl Lesson of the Day: When making soup in the crock pot, make the soup... add noodles after (along with any finely-chopped veggies that you don't want disappearing!)

...and I forgot to add salt. So unless you get a bite full of yummy vegetables, it's flavorless mush. Overall, just a bad soup.

It's kind of a "soup standoff" at my apartment, figuring out who's going to eat the leftovers... (not it!)

3. Trained to be a lacrosse ref
...in the freezing rain
on Saturday. Great when you're sick! Turns out I'm "whistle shy," which is actually a common new-ref disorder. I see the foul!!! Then... I think. "Was that illegal?" By the time I think that one thought, they're down the field and it's too late. My ref trainer gave me some fun advice:

It's about safety. Don't worry about if it's "technically" the right call-- you're the ref. So if you whistle, it is the right call. Use your instincts-- and blow the game up!!

Fun :0)

4. Received a surprise present from my parents: a food processor!
They weren't enjoying my new-cook, small-knife-cut-on-the-finger stories. So even though my birthday is 10 months away, I got a present! An amazing present, that is!

I hate chopping veggies and it takes me foreverrrr... my new processor can chop an onion in like 5 seconds. LOVE!

5. New knit project in attempts to invite warm weather...

Spring Lace Scarf:

My first real "pattern" scarf. A simple
YO, K3 combination allows the intentional
holes in the scarf to give a "lace"
imitation-- perfect for spring! And
how about that blue!


It's still on the needles, but I'm hoping to be done this weekend! That way, it's ready in time for near 80 degree weather!! That's right-- it's snowing in Raleigh today, and by Saturday it should be more than warm enough for my new scarf.

Gotta love NC weather :)

Happy Snow Day!

11 comments:

knitseashore on March 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM said...

We received about 10" of snow overnight last night -- spring is definitely taking her time to arrive!

I can't laugh at your soup because I would do the same thing, but your other meals are definitely encouraging me to try cooking again!

I love your blue scarf. What is it made of, wool or cotton? Just hoping you'll be able to wear it when the weather is warmer. I need to finish my heavy wool cardigan before it's too warm to wear it. Maybe if I work very fast, that will scare spring into coming next weekend??? :)

Sarah Glova on March 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM said...

I didn't even think of using cotton! Good point... the yarn I used is a wool blend (I'm still a sucker for the cheaper yarns 'cause I'm so new!).

Next time I'll use cotton for a spring project... I'm hoping this will be a cool-wind, spring-day, warm-up-the-tshirt-outfit scarf. So, hopefully the blend will be ok :) Next time, cotton.

Live and learn!

The Duo Dishes on March 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM said...

We heard about the NC storm...well the storm all along the East coast that is. It seems you've gotten more bad weather in the last year than we ever got during our 4 years stint in Chapel Hill! If you're still sick, give that chicken noodle one more try. It'll be just perfect.

Rebecca on March 3, 2009 at 4:18 AM said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the illness and soup. I do a similar thing, I get myself comfy on the sofa and promise myself to go and look at the stove in just a minute, and wham! I'm out for the count.

Also, I'm totally jealous of your food processor, and your knitting skills. I *really* want to learn how to make lacy things. Roll on my Mum visiting this week!

Kim on March 3, 2009 at 5:30 AM said...

I'm sick, too! Sad face. I like this whole deal that I can read up on you and your hobbies; it's pretty rad.

Your knitting is so neat - I'm glad you're doing new and fun things!

Melanie on March 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM said...

Happy snow day to you! Soup is a good thing to make--even if it's bad. At least it's warm, right? We had an ice storm about a month ago here in Arkansas and my boyfriend and I huddled in the dark for days. But he is an excellent breakfast-maker as well. I am more than happy to let him handle the bacon and eggs! Congrats with your scarf--I'm a quilter, but have never been brave enough to tackle knitting!

Phoo-D on March 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM said...

Hi Sarah - I love your blog header! Hope you feel better soon. Thanks for stopping by my site - do come by again!
Phoo-D

Sarah on March 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM said...

I have a food processor (very awesome wedding gift from a friend), but I hardly ever use it. I hate to do dishes, especially fiddly dishes like utensils, and the many pieces and little pockets where food is trapped in the food processor just make me shudder! I'd rather cut up the veggies by hand. Ha!

I do use it when I'm making something to take for potluck or holidays, because I make a much larger portion in those circumstances! Too much chopping.

Hope you're feeling better soon, and that soup looks like it would have been good! Don't sweat it, though, anyone who has ever been sick and responsible for making the meals knows what it's like to get a bum dinner. It just happens. ;)

Susie on March 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM said...

Hope you're feeling better soon and I can't wait to see the completed scarf. Kids had no school yesterday here in NYC because of snow!

Donna-FFW on March 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM said...

Hope you are well on the way to recovery.. I admire yourknitting talent. I so do not have any talent in that field.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I've had problems with Chicken Noodle Soup before. The noodles only take a few minutes and it always takes way more salt and pepper than you would think! I do like a little garlic and onion, too. Better luck next time. You have to try again because you need it for times when someone is sick! :-)

We were in North Carolina and headed back to Florida to not get stuck in the snow. We were in Charlotte.

~Kim

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!