My First Award!, Twitter, and Tutor Tips

Monday, March 30

Listening to, "Sunrise" Norah Jones.

Award:
I got my first blog award!!
lemonade award
The Lemonade Award
Thanks Ace!

Now I have a spot on the right panel of my blog to house blog awards... I'm so excited. I think blog awards are so cute. It's the epitome of why I love blogging-- nice people going out and doing nice things for bloggers who are just trying to put their ideas/stories out there. Thanks again, Ace!!!!!!!!


Twitter
twitterSo... if someone asks you if you twitter, they aren't asking anything dirty. I've actually been avoiding twitter! The premise-- a site where you can post little updates on your life all day long-- sounded a little like internet stalking to me. But it's actually really fun AND there are lots of fun people on twitter! And now I'm twittering, too. See the twitter update box on the side of my blog? Fancy...

Knitting Knoobie is on there as well, AND she sent me this really cool Web site: wefollow.com. It allows you to search twitter for others who are similar to you! You can search for bloggers, knitters, cooks, etc. who are on twitter... I was very excited about this site.


Education: New Blog Section
"Tutor Tips!"
super tutor!
That's me! SUPER TUTOR! Heh...

Got kids? Know kids? Like/Care about education? Then at least read this part: My two favorite education-related Web sites. I use these for tutoring and nannying all the time!

1. Find a book: Teacher Book Wizard
  • You can search by reading level (ex. 4th grade), genre (ex. historical fiction), or search for "similar books" (ex. type in Harry Potter and check what grade level you want, and it will find a different but similar book for you!)
  • You can create book lists and share them with others!
  • Perfect for that nephew who loves to read-- you weren't sure what book to get him? Next time you see him just ask what his favorite book is and try that site!
2. Find a educational, online game: GameQuarium
  • WARNING: not the most well-designed site
  • BUT! Games of every type-- search by grade level or search by subject
  • I found a decimal game where the superhero shoots down decimals that are equivalent to the evil fraction... PERFECT incentive for a kid to learn new math skills.

Hope you're all having a great Monday! Can't wait to share some new recipes in the next post, and review StephChow's Bread-- hint hint: it's definitely almost all gone :)

-Your now-twittering, award-winning,
voraciously-tutoring,
New Girl

15 comments:

Sebastian Anthony on March 30, 2009 at 7:57 AM said...

I too received my first award this weekend.

Though I don't want to put it in the sidebar of my blog until I get some more -- I don't want it to look like I cherish my ONE AND ONLY award... that might make me look a little sad.

I used computers a lot when I was younger (though I was mostly self-taught), and I owe a lot of my logic skills and overall education to them!

Ace on March 30, 2009 at 8:17 AM said...

Thanks for the many shout outs!

Can't wait to hear how the bread was. I need a good bread recipe in my life!

Stephanie on March 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM said...

I avoided twitter also at first, but it's turned out to be a fun place.

April on March 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM said...

Seriously - I just don't get twitter. Maybe it's one of those things that's just "so" simple - that I'm attempting to make it way more difficult that it actually is. My whole church is linked up on Twitter! We've been doing a series on it - our bulletins are even sent electronically for these. Now, how is it that everyone (and their mothers apparently) can figure this out and I'm just brain dead? Facebook is kinda like that for me too. I don't get it. Myspace - I totally worked with that at one point (before blogging) and I totally got it. Twitter/Facebook - nothing.

Kinda makes me think of my rice krispie treat issues. So simple - and yet - can't make them to save my life.

I think I'm beginning to see a pattern...

Susie on March 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM said...

I guessed my arm twisting for you to join Twitter finally worked, huh? ;) LOVE the Book Wizard site. Gonna send the link to the boys. Congrats on your award!

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on March 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM said...

Wow, love your blog background! How did you do it? I cannot figure out how to do mine!

Pinked on March 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM said...

I'm thinking of learning how to cook before applying to grad school - I think I'll need it!

Congratulations on the award!!! And I laughed my head off on your Termites post, lol, read it the other day, it was so funny, hope all that is over :)

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on March 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM said...

Thanks for Showing me how to do the blog backgrounds! You are awesome!!! And, socks are not tough at all! I used to think the same thing! If I can do it, so can you!!!

Rebecca on March 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM said...

Congratulations on the award! I don't think you can be the "new girl" any more as you're definitely a dab hand at not only the blogging, but the knitting and cooking too. See how far you've come already. I told you it'd be pain au chocolate in no time!

I *loved* the knitting update in the last post. I should be doing mine now...

Vicki on March 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM said...

That award is so cute. Thanks for those links, I teach 2nd grade and my rugrats will love them. Glad you like my take on newspapers. I had fun writing it.
Vicki

Amy on March 30, 2009 at 7:35 PM said...

hey! i found your blog randomly through 20sb...i like it...love your resolution to get better at your hobbies, i'm kind of working on the same thing!

i work in social media so twitter is a big part of my day-to-day routine. i hated it at first, didn't get it, but now i much prefer it to lots of social networking sites such as facebook. i think a lot of people expect it to 'be' facebook when that's not the intent at all.

Mom on the Run on March 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM said...

I have just heard about twitter. You have sparked my interest.

Thanks for the great teacher websites :)

Unknown on March 31, 2009 at 6:55 PM said...

your blog layout is ADORABLE!!! ...I love twitter. it's nonsensical.

The Porters on March 31, 2009 at 8:37 PM said...

This is hands down one of the cutest blogs I have ever seen! Did you design the layout yourself?? I am very impressed!

knitseashore on April 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM said...

Twitter is fun! I will look for you there! I have been holding off on Facebook though. I'm on Ravelry and GoodReads too and there's just not enough time in the day for all of them. Are you on Ravelry?

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!