Baking Karma, Pie (Pi!) Tips & Spring Lace Scarf

Friday, March 13

Listening to (Rainy Day Playlist): "Wild World," Cat Stevens

Now I get it-- I was supposed to have a bad week
.
Because with the bad week, there was no time to make pie. The pie was delayed. Now, I'm going to make it tomorrow-- on PI DAY!!!!!!

{Pi Day- remember "Pi" (3.14) in math? Tomorrow is 3.14!}
Get it?! Not my pie-- but how cute!


If it hadn't been for my bad week, this lovely coincidence simply would not have been. See?!?!?! Everything happens for a reason!!!

I can't thank you enough for the support after my last, admittedly depressing, post. It really was hard to write about the bad stuff-- made me feel a littttle whiny, but in the end I felt much better. I let it out, and with every comment I felt like-- ok, everyone has a bad day. As Mom used to remind us-- This, too, shall pass.

Tomorrow is Pi Day, and I'm ready.
See Below-- Pi Tips!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ Knitting Update ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
Spring Lace Scarf: Finished!

-Not very spring-ish... I like it, but I'll try again and make another spring scarf. This just isn't it.
-BUT, I learned to do a K3 and YO stitch pattern
-Really love the YO effect-- the "holes" do give a lacy pattern-- but I think a spring scarf should be a little skinnier, or maybe should have more holes to really make it lacey.
-Still really like the color, just wish I'd used a different kind...
New Girl Lesson of the Day: Shouldn't make "spring" projects out of wool... cotton would have been a much better alternative.
Ta-Da! My first "finished project" pose...
not a bad scarf, just not what I wanted

Cable Purse, or "The Christine Bag":
Update: It's going very well!
-Messed up a few times-- size US 17 needles are huge and hard to work with!
-Cable stitch is FUN and way easier than I thought it would be!
-Can't wait to show you when it's done :)

~ * ~ * ~ *
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Pie Tips

Here are the wonderful Pie Tips I've received so far...
might help if you also feel like celebrating Pi Day... :)


From Sarah:
  1. The less you handle the pastry, the better it is. If you touch it or mix it too much, it goes hard and chewy, not at all the result you want.
  2. Make sure everything is cold, cold flour, cold butter, cold water.

From Melanie:

  1. Cover in tin foil-- it's in the oven for a while and might burn
  2. The Recipe! It was her "Pie of the Week"-- see here!
  3. She also had a great post about homemade pie crust

From Rebecca:
This was a while ago, but I still love it: her comment in response to my boyfriend eating bad cookies I had baked
  1. "Best tool a baker can have is an appreciative partner" :-)

From My Mother:
  1. When baking and using butter: Leave the butter on the counter overnight. Melting it in the microwave does not work for baking (maybe that's what happened with my awful cookies...)
  2. Make the crust the night before, leave it in a dough-ball in the fridge and flatten it / do the pie the next day-- keeps you from getting burnt out!

My mom also lovingly forced me to borrow her pastry cutter thingy... it's like a handheld cutter thing, looks like a weapon... I was just going to mix everything but apparently pastry cutters were invented for a reason. I'll let you know if I think I really needed it :)

Till the Pie Post, Happy Pi Day Eve!

-Sarah

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the look of your blog.
Pi Day - daughter celebrated it in school today

Susie on March 13, 2009 at 7:33 PM said...

Definitely not spring looking but absolutely gorgeous all the same!

Mom on the Run on March 13, 2009 at 10:00 PM said...

We had a celebration for Pi day as well. I am a math teacher so we get excited about this type of stuff..lol!

I love your blog and will make sure to stop by often.

Hope you take the weekend to rest...I love that scarf!

Ace on March 14, 2009 at 1:46 AM said...

Great scarf! Superman and I (I taught him the loom) knitted 41 scarves in about 45 days at Christmas for our favorite charity.

I haven't knitted a scarf since. But I love that pattern, so I might jump back in!

Happy Pi Day!

April on March 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April on March 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM said...

Definitely diggin' the scarf! And, I do have to agree with your mom - I like my pastry cutter. I actually used it last week on that apple crisp recipe!

*Glad you enjoyed my oh-so-devious children's escapades with the shampoo. I'm mildly beginning to laugh about it now. : )

Sarah on March 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM said...

Oh, how fun! I never heard of "Pi Day" before... I'm going to have to remember that for next year, so I can bake a pie on Pi Day too! All March 14th was to me before was my nephew's birthday. ;)

Cool scarf! Maybe not as "springey" as you intended, but it still looks really good! I hope I'll be able to knit that well when I get started knitting.

Melanie on March 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM said...

Happy Pi Day! My wonderful sister gave me a pie cookbook, and I am celebrating by making butter brickle banana cream pie! I hope you have fun making yours--pie is a perfect remedy to a bad week!

Donna-FFW on March 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM said...

I never knew there was a Pi day. Ill have to mark it on my calender. Your scar f is going to be beautiful!!

knitseashore on March 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM said...

Your scarf looks great! You should be proud! The nice part about scarves is that they are so inexpensive and quick...as soon as you finish your purse you could treat yourself to a summery yarn and make a new one!

Those pies look so delicious, but I am going to leave that skill to my gram! She is an amazing baker.

Phoo-D on March 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM said...

What a lovely scarf! I look forward to your pie post. We thought about making one over the weekend but opted for pasta dough instead. Now I think I should have made a pie!

Melanie on March 17, 2009 at 1:06 PM said...

Ha, ha--glad you enjoyed it, even if it didn't turn out perfect. I think it's a fun process, even if you don't get the results you want (and I seldom do!). Yes, the Boyfriend is a great cook--he's content to cook and I'm content to bake! :) I'll look forward to your post about your pie adventure!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!