My first flash movie!

Wednesday, March 18

Listening to, "Losing A Whole Year," Third Eye Blind

So apparently, even though I can't make pie I can make Flash movies!


We're working with flash (an Adobe software product) in class-- my first time using it. We were assigned a video project so I decided to make a video to share with you!!!

Try it!



Fun!

At least I can do something right :) I mean, it's not Shrek or anything, but still.

Hopefully that'll keep my confidence up, because I'm reffing my first lacrosse game on my own on FRIDAY and after that pie it feels good to be the new girl at something and do it RIGHT. Thanks Flash :) But I am excited about this new referee experience-- I bought my official jersey today and everything!!!

Random Anecdote for today: Nigel Slater's Advice for New Cooks (like me!)
  • Don't think you have to cook every day.
  • Don't think you have to cook at all. Good eating is as much about shopping as cooking. Think about cheeses, hams, bread, ready-made fish/vegetable/fruit salads, ready-made meals, shop-bought puddings. They can all fit in somewhere, but preferably not every day. They're ultimately an expensive, unfulfilled meal.
  • You can live on homemade soup and toast.
  • A diet of homemade soup and toast gets boring after a while.
  • Take a look at the ready-made meals in the supermarket; they'll save you cooking every day. Some of them are not that bad for a once-a-week lazy meal.
  • Pour yourself a drink before getting started!
  • Try to cook only as much as you'll eat today and tomorrow; come the third day you won't want it, however much that casserole/curry/soup is supposed to improve with keeping.
  • Remember that there is nothing quite so useful to have around as a cold roast chicken. You can feast off it for the next couple of days.
  • Overestimate the amount of potatoes and rice you will eat. Anything not eaten today will be fine tomorrow. Think sauté potatoes and fried rice. Think bubble and squeak.
  • Underestimate the amount of pasta you will eat - there's always a temptation to cook too much and reheated pasta is horrid. Remember there is no such thing as a nice pasta salad, despite what women's magazines would have us believe.
  • Try to keep at least something in the store cupboard, say olives, pasta, tinned flageolets, olive oil, anchovies, tomato passata, wine, coffee. This way you will never come home to no supper, even if you skip the shops.
  • Pillow packs of ready-prepared salad may seem expensive but the alternative - several types of lettuce in the fridge - will prove more expensive in the long run. What is wrong with a green salad from just one type of lettuce anyway? It's all in the dressing.
  • Frisee, the mop-haired pale salad leaf, keeps almost as well as an iceberg lettuce and is much more interesting to eat. Try it with bits of hot bacon and a mustard dressing.
  • Ignore anyone who tells you that you shouldn't drink alone.
  • A bag of pasta, a lump of Parmesan and a bottle of olive oil are probably the best friends you will ever have. It's another supper for those nights when you cannot be bothered to shop.
  • Always keep a bag of frozen peas in the house. It will get you out of no end of trouble.
  • Poached fruits such as gooseberries, damsons and rhubarb may seem a time-extravagant dessert just for one but remember that they can be eaten the next day for breakfast, too.
  • Two cannot live as cheaply as one. It is a myth put about by people trying to justify a decision they have just made.
  • Cultivate recipes that use stale bread or breadcrumbs. Few of us can get through a whole loaf before it goes stale. Dead bread makes very good garlic croutons when fried in oil till golden and crisp, for scattering willy-nilly over salads and pasta.
  • Don't be afraid to make large quantities of your own salad dressings, pesto, tomato sauce. They will keep well enough in a jar in the fridge.
  • When you are shopping for supper, remember that as well as steak, chops and liver, poultry and game can also be perfect for one. Think partridge, pigeon and poussin.
  • Nothing gives you quite so much confidence as making your own bread. It is one of the easiest things to make and everyone will think you are a genius.
  • A bottle of wine is not a challenge. You can put a cork in it and keep some for tomorrow.

Cute :) Any more advice you can think of?

I think mine is just: If you can't bake cookies, don't skip ahead and try to make pie. Start simple-- go from there. Rome wasn't built in a day!

:)

11 comments:

The Duo Dishes on March 19, 2009 at 1:22 PM said...

Wow, we definitely do not know Flash or any web design so you've got an up there. Umm Nigel is right! Make your own bread. It's fun and easy and SO GOOD.

April on March 19, 2009 at 4:19 PM said...

Fun flash!! Kudos! I like the tips. May have to write some down myself. : )

Rebecca on March 19, 2009 at 4:59 PM said...

Nice work on the Flash!

I *love* Nigel Slater, he's my total hero. That piece comes from his book "Appetite" which is a great place to go when you're starting out. His approach to cooking and baking - to tweak recipes, make them your own, and just have a go at things, no matter what - is absolutely brilliant, and really helps you up your confidence. If you are going to read one person when you're starting out I'd recommend him.

He lives in the same bit of London as us and I am hoping one day I'll bump into him at the market so I can say how great he is!

Ace on March 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM said...

Nice job on the flash!

Susie on March 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM said...

Love the Flash! Good luck on the game tomorrow. As for cooking advice, I don't know if you're big on cook books but my bible on cooking when I first started was Joy of Cooking. I'm on my third copy. Oh and learn how to make a good tomato/pasta sauce. It can be made in vast quantities and frozen!

shelter volunteer on March 20, 2009 at 11:32 AM said...

Very cool flash movie! What class was the assignment for?

I think cooking can be a very creative act, but I must admit I draw the line at making my own croutons. I'd much rather spend that time knitting!!

stephchows on March 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM said...

Awesome! OK girl I have a silly easy, quick bread recipe for you over at my blog today. You should totally try it! It's no fail :)

Vicki on March 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM said...

Great video...wow
The advice list is funny....and so true.

rachaelgking on March 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM said...

That's one of my favorite songs ;-)

And that is an awesome advice list! I always try to make as much sauce as possible... there are so many ways you can use it!

Donna-FFW on March 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM said...

Read as many cookbooks as you can, and as many blogs.. so much wonderful advice out there, and recipes!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed that list. Thanks!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!