Pickin' Crabs, Teachin' Grandma, Cookin' Fish. + Prego Update

Monday, August 3

Listening to "French Song," Kate Walsh.

So.

Apparently, I used to blog when Matt was studying.

Because since Matt's taken the CFP exam, he hasn't been studying.

And I haven't been blogging.

But! I think it was just that initial honeymoon-phase week, where I'm so glad to have him around (instead of the study zombie that I had before), and was thus way too excited to pay attention to my computer.

Schedules are slowly getting back to normal, but it has been a fantastic week of fun :)

~*~*~

Grandma's House

My grandmother's house was so relaxing.


Need I say more?

My grandmother is in Maryland. So is a lot of my family, and naturally I've been picking crabs since before I can remember.

(Pickin' Crabs: (verb phrase) To eat the crab meat from a steamed crab (most often the Chesapeake-area Blue Crab) that sits on top of newspaper, on a picnic table, covered in Old Bay spices. Crab meat is picked from the crab and then is often dipped in melted butter or simply enjoyed. The process is a slow one and typically considered a social event. Common side dishes are Corn on the Cob and Corona.)



Matt is from Detroit, and had never even had Old Bay (the traditional East Coast seafood spice). He had definitely never picked crab, and described his limitless crab experience as confined to Red Lobster.

Definitely not good enough for my family.

So we went ahead and gave him his first experience.

Yum!

He did a great job, though! It can be an interesting experience if you've never done it before. I don't recommend doing it on your own or with a group of other inexperienced pickers. Always helps to have a guide :)

~*~*~

Knitting Update

This ties into my visit with my grandmother.

because...

I taught my grandma to knit!

I gave her a knit kit for her birthday-- a knitting bag, some yarn, lots of needles, and a guide book-- and promised to teach her sometime this year.

She's crocheted before, but had never knit! She really took to it very quickly! She's going to try a scarf with that fall-colored yarn and then maybe I can teach her some more by Christmas.

Not to brag or anything... but is my Grandma a cutie or what?! Getting older in my family isn't so bad; we've got good genes :) I think we get it from the red wine...


Checkerboard:
I frogged it once, and won't again! I've been knitting slow and steady for the past couple weeks and am now just beyond where I was when I had to pull it all out. Slow and steady wins the race, people! (Plus... I'm afraid if I mess it up again I may just throw it out a window. Defeated? Defenestrate!)

~*~*~

Cooking Update:

I tried Phoo-D's Poached Samon with Dijon Cream Sauce!

This recipe was BANGIN. Seriously.

We were ravishing hungry by the time it was made, so we dug in and I thought, "Eh, I'll take a picture for the blog tomorrow."

...then Matt ate the leftovers before I got a chance. Good sign though, yes?

So here's PHOO-D'S PICTURE, not Class and Coffee's picture, totally PHOO-D'S, so be amazed by HER PICTURE, not mine:

Photo Credit: Phoo-D
Mine definitely didn't look this good.
Tasted phenom, though!


Had a little trouble finding the "thyme sprigs," but definitely don't just sprinkle in thyme because you have to pull the thyme out of the simmering pan before you make the cream sauce. Just a tip ;-)

Would definitely recommend this recipe!!


Recipe Blogroll Future:

I only have 5 recipes left to make off the blogroll!

Once their done, I think I'm going to have my first blog contest.

You know, ask people to submit recipes, either their own or others that they've seen on blogs, and then have something fun for the winner (who will probably be chosen randomly, but maybe I can think of something...).

Yes? No?

~*~*~

Other Updates:

  • Prego: My stepmom Maranna is still pregnant with twins and the babes are doing great. I was hoping they would change their mind about not finding out the sex of the babies, but no. And I looked at their black-and-whites and could not decipher a thing that would give me a hint. So I guess it'll be a surprise... it's totally killing me and I can't wait to find out!

    I've asked about names but they're still not sure about that either. Too much suspense!!!!! I already have like 3 names for my kids.

  • School: STARTS in 10 DAYS!! I can tell it's getting close because I'm starting to have those nightmares where I'm failing a final or rushing around hallways without being able to find the right classroom... haha oh the dorky nightmares of a dorky dork.

  • Matt and I have a 3-year anniversary tomorrow :) We're not going to do any celebrating (it's a Tuesday!) but we will be in Wilmington this weekend, so we'll have fun talking about that crazy party three years ago that started it all.

    I'm making him a gift (just paid student fees, people), but can't tell you juuuust in case he has time to check my blog before tomorrow!
~*~*~

Your summer-storm-lovin,
Kate-Walsh-listening, behind-on-reading,
Crab-meat-missing, Shark-week-obsessing,
New Girl Blogger

24 comments:

lk- healthy delicious on August 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM said...

yum! I love crabs! glad to see you posting again! I know how it is about just wanting to blog when the DH is busy with other things.

Peggy on August 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM said...

Happy Anniversary!

Regarding dreaming about failing finals... I've got a REAL one in 4 hours so you won't get any sympathy from me! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your grandma's house looks awesome! I would love to visit grandma!!

Ace on August 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM said...

That's funny... I was just thinking "oh, her grandma is so cute!" right before I read you say she was a cutie! And yes, you're right!

stephchows on August 3, 2009 at 2:31 PM said...

OMG those crabs look AMAZING!!!! I want to go visit your grandma so I can have some :) I'm so excited you liked the cin. rolls!!

thegamerswife on August 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM said...

Welcome back!! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Maryland! We almost went crabbing while we were up in DE, but time got away from us and before we knew it we were heading back to NC. Maybe next time :)

Also, thanks for being so sweet to me as I kind of bashed the south! Even if I didn't outright say it, there are ALOT of things I do enjoy about southern living!! :-P

Happy Three Years to you and Matt!!

Brett Alexandra on August 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM said...

I love me some crabs! That is one of my favorite parts about summer! That salmon looks so good too. I need to try one of your recipes:)

Kim on August 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM said...

There you are! I kind of feel like I got such a preview on FB already of your recent going ons! Whatever, the more I hear from you, the better!

Enjoy Wilmington!

knitseashore on August 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM said...

Sounds like you had a great time at your Grandma's house! I'm envying that pool! Hope she is still continuing to knit so you two can compare patterns next visit.

I hope things are going OK with school plans. It seems too early to go back yet!

Jenn@slim-shoppin on August 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM said...

Sarah, your depiction of pickin crabs on a picnic table covered in newspapers brought back great memories for me! Growing up, we spent part of the summer at my grandparents in Virginia. We'd go with our grandpa and pick up bushels of crabs (alive!) and he'd cook them outside on a big fire pit and we'd eat and eat and eat! So fun!!!

Thanks for your well wishes about my car accident!! It's all good now and I'm moving on!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, I am addicted to crabs like a crack addict! I have ALWAYS wanted to eat some East Coast ones because it seems like the East Coast has so many crabs, they fall from the sky. In CA, we only get the occasional ones from Alaska,but in Scotland, it's like crabs don't exist. So jealous!
xx

Teach.Workout.Love on August 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM said...

welcome back!! sounds like a fun time u have been having!! i loveeeee crabs those look SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Trina on August 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM said...

I'm amazed that you taught your gran to knit - its usually the other way around! That knit kit sounds like a great idea - you could write out a list of instructions and sell them!!
And happy anniversary for tomorrow :)

kathy b on August 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM said...

Oh YES for the contest. Good gracious, all those crabs! What a funny picture. Teaching your grandma to knit! THat wins a prize in my book

Ali on August 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM said...

That salmon looks fantastic!

And I heart Shark Week with all of my...heart, haha.

Cucinista on August 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM said...

Aw, you made me miss my grandmother. I love all the traditions associated with going to grandma's house -- whether pickin' crabs or having a special pie or going for bread pudding made with doughnuts (yes, my family is from the south). Good luck with school starting soon! At least then the nightmares will be over... at least the ones you have while asleep.

The Duo Dishes on August 3, 2009 at 7:37 PM said...

The salmon looks amazing. The photo captures the deliciousness very well. Now crabs are always welcome, and we'd eat every last one of those. Old Bay rocks!

Sophia on August 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM said...

I live so close to Maryland...and I still haven't had a good crab feast yet!
PHOO'D's salmon looks freaking awesome with that creamy sauce...maybe you can give it a try again?

sarah on August 3, 2009 at 10:25 PM said...

wow those crabs look gooooooood. i live close to the coast and the seafood here is awesome. but i have never eaten crabs like that. maybe its too messy for the japanese? i dunno. but it seems like an eating experience!!

what are your kids names? xx

Susie on August 4, 2009 at 8:02 AM said...

Holy moly those crabs look killer! Your grandmother's house looks like a breath of fresh air.

Ella Everywhere on August 4, 2009 at 5:25 PM said...

I'd love to visit the east coast and do all that crab picking stuff, looks so cool! and I'm sure its delicious!

Oooh the twins are so exciting!

Congrats on the 3 years, happy anniversary!

Stephanie on August 4, 2009 at 10:57 PM said...

Hey! I sent you a Ravelry message about your comment to me. Send me an email back about what you think!

Sarah on August 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM said...

That's one thing I've always wanted to do it go crab picking and eat fresh crab! I've only had crab once in my life, and it was from Subway, so probably not the best sample... but it still was delicious.

Looks like you guys had a fun week! And yes your Grandma is a cutie! She looks fun and vivacious!

Glad to hear your step-mom and the babies are doing well! Don't get too impatient, think of it this way, there's really only 5 months until January. Ugh, I can't even believe that! That means Winter is closer than I want it to be! But it'll go by really quickly, anyways. ;)

Sebastian Anthony on August 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM said...

A belated congratulations on your anniversary! Here's to 3 more... and some marriage...?

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!