Pork Suey! + Lovely, Unnecessary School Supplies & Blog Award

Thursday, August 6

Listening to "Talk of the Nation," NPR.

I have heard that it's bad to tie shopping to emotions.

You shouldn't shop to celebrate, or shop to cheer yourself up... you should only shop when you need things.

I've heard the same argument about eating ("Don't eat when you're upset!").

And I understand the argument.

But... once a year, before a very important time, I shop on emotion.

The emotion of pure excitement.

I buy school supplies.

Silly, colorful, frivolous school supplies! I love them.

School to me is... a sweet return to normal (think Tom Hanks in You've Got Mail... "bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils"), an enjoyably difficult task to conquer (definitely Hermione in Harry Potter), and something I've always loved to do, and probably always will... (maybe Diane Court in Say Anything... but I totally wouldn't have broken Llyod Dobler's heart...)

And I celebrate the start of a new academic year (sometimes even the start of a new semester...) with new school supplies.

Even when I don't need them.

And this week, I bought these:

Photobucket
Oh, that isn't all I bought. But here are
the most fun/frivolous things...


1. The Multi-Colored Pens, Highlighters, and Fun Mechanical Pencils: Do I need that many? No. Do I love and cherish them? Yes.

2. The Polka-Dot Pencil Pouch: Also holds cute, tiny-sized post-it notes to mark textbook pages. Love it.

3. Color-Matching Desk Set: Small clock, stapler, paper clip holder, and miscellaneous boxed supplies. I mean... do they need to all match? No. But will that look really cute in my tiny TA cubicle? YES.

4. THE BEST OF ALL-- Is it a purse? No. It's cute enough to be a purse, but that polka-dot bag in the back, ladies and gentlemen, is a LUNCH BOX. That's right. A lunch box. So cute.

I bought other things as well... binders, tabbed dividers, a new planner (LOVE new planners...), loose-leaf paper (college-ruled, baby!), and some spirals.

But thought I'd show you the silly ones.

Didn't break the bank or anything (thanks, Wal-Mart)... but I definitely consider the whole thing to be a treat for myself.

You know how it is... everyone has different splurges, yes? You have one, right? Maybe yours is a big night out, a fancy new pair of shoes, or even just an ice cream cone after a hot summer day. My splurge just happens to be school supplies.

CAN'T WAIT!

~*~*~

Cooking Update:

Pork Suey!
(From Quick & Healthy)

Photobucket
YUM.

Quick Instructions, if you're interested:
Brown pork cuts (1/4-inch thick) in non-stick sprayed skillet. Add celery (2 c.), onion (1 c.), soy sauce (1 tbsp.), beef broth ( c.), and salt (dash), and let simmer 10 minutes.

In separate bowl, mix corn starch (2.5 tbsp.), ginger (1/4 tsp.), molasses (1 tbsp.), and water (1/4 c). Stir into hot skillet. Allow to boil and thicken; serve over noodles or brown rice.

I slipped in too much corn starch, and you can definitely taste that (oops!), but still tastes good overall :)

I definitely recommend!

I do have a questions, though: If you're making a dish with soy sauce or another Asian influence, do you have a favorite pasta or rice type? I'd like to cook more with soy sauce, since I looooove it, but I don't know which pasta/rice to serve with it. Advice?

Matt was working late when I fixed this; it was a yummy, filling meal that paired well with wine and some lazy television :)

~*~*~
!*!*! AWARD !*!*!


Thanks SO much, ACE!

What a cute award-- I'd never seen this one!

Looking forward to fulfilling the award duties (a one-word challenge-- I LOVE word challenges!) in my next post. Thanks again!

~*~*~

Back to the daily grind of this crazy week... it's actually been a great week, just busy. I hope your week has been great as well!

I've been doing a lot of planning for the TA position :) I can't WAIT to get started!!

Twitter and Facebook Users: How about that crazy down-time episode today?! They're saying it was hacker-driven. Interesting story about that here.

I'll be gone this weekend-- going to visit Matt's parents and grandmother!! I can't wait to meet his grandmother; I've never met her before since she lives far up north. Plus, seeing Matt's parents is always fun: they're great, their lake house is beautiful, and his Mom is quite the prolific knitter.

See you soon!

Your snackin-on-Cap'n-Crunch,
Summer-storm-enjoyin,

always-checker-board-knittin,

New Girl Blogger

28 comments:

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} on August 6, 2009 at 3:57 PM said...

This post actually makes me want to go back to school again just so I can buy school supplies! I love them too! I love all the polka dot stuff!

Ali on August 6, 2009 at 4:02 PM said...

I love school supplies! Kinda bummed I have absolutely no reason to buy them anymore.

Cute stuff!

Amy --- Just A Titch on August 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM said...

I love being a teacher because I have an excuse to stock up during school supply season!

Samantha on August 6, 2009 at 4:16 PM said...

I'm thinking of going back for my Master's degree within the next few years, and you totally just made me want to do it even more! :) I love all the neat supplies and color combinations out there!

Enjoy your weekend of visiting Matt's family! Take some pictures :)

Unknown on August 6, 2009 at 4:24 PM said...

awww i miss shopping for school supplies!! that was an exciting time of the year for me too! hehe! and that lunch box??? freakkkkkkkin' awesome!

Trina on August 6, 2009 at 4:55 PM said...

You've Got Mail is full of awesome quotes - I thought of that as soon as you mentioned school supplies! Great minds think alike :)
I buy Starbucks coffee when I want to treat myself - I make sure its a big one so it lasts longer!
That pork dish looks amazing too...

Ace on August 6, 2009 at 5:50 PM said...

My guilty pleasure is yarn! I have 2 giant rubbermaid tubs FULL of brand new, soft, cuddly, can't-wait-to-get-my-hands-on-it YARN!

Kim on August 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM said...

Oh my goodness! Lucky for you you have a super awesome Asian friend in your life that uses soy sauce on a regular basis! Noodles: rice noodles or those clear bean thread noodles; oh, or those soba noodle things they make lo mein with. Or! udon or yakisoba noodles. Basically, make an adventure of going into an Asian food store one day. As for rice I always used either a sticky, jasmine, or rice that my mom always bought in a 25 lb bag... haha. When you make fried rice, make sure to cool the rice first. Sometimes a long grain works really well, too. Oh geez, i love my Asianess. Oh! You should use oyster sauce with chicken, that used to be one of my favorite things ever as a kid. Have you used hoisin or tonkatsu sauce before? Seriously, go to an Oriental market, there are a couple really good ones in your area.

Now, past that, I LOVE your school supplies and that lunch box is amazing! You're going to be the most adorable TA State has ever seen!

Mrs. VanMiddendorp on August 6, 2009 at 7:23 PM said...

Being a teacher I LOVE to buy school supplies!!I go crazy all the time!!!

Peggy on August 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM said...

Oh my goodness... As someone who's trying to ENJOY her few weeks OFF between summer school and fall semester I am definitely NOT in the same back-to-school-supply-buying mode. I did buy a new backpack for school last weekend (it has lots of cool pockets, including for my laptop) but that's the extent of school shopping I intend to do. That's ok, though, 'cause you've done enough for both of us! ;-)

My splurges are definitely of the ice cream cone variety. (It doesn't have to be a summer day, either, I like ice cream just as much in the winter.) Or a yummy italian soda...

Have a fun weekend!

Sarah on August 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM said...

Those are super cute school supplies! Makes me wish I was going back to school, too! I remember loving the start of the new school year, all the empty notebooks and new pencils and pens, ah happiness!

Love that lunch bag, by the way... I wish my lunch had been as stylin' as that. :)

Amy on August 6, 2009 at 8:39 PM said...

I miss buying school supplies like crazy. Back to school used to be my favourite time of the year. You got some really cute things! I especially love the paperclips and pushpins.

That pork suey looks goooood. I'm going to save that recipe for sure! Did you just use regular pork chops?

The Duo Dishes on August 6, 2009 at 8:45 PM said...

With Asian food, we love jasmine or basmati rice. They are so good and keep a great, fluffy shape even with heavier sauces. Also loooove maifun noodles/rice noodles. They are stupid cheap, so you can stock up!

chow and chatter on August 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM said...

congrats on the award nice supplies

LK- Healthy Delicious on August 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM said...

I love school supplies too! especially posy its and highlighters. have you seen the super cute binder clips they have at staples?!? love.

Tony on August 6, 2009 at 11:18 PM said...

I tend to be *obsessed* with school supplies. I understand the joy of matching desk sets.

Ron on August 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM said...

You know, every year when september rolls around, i get that urge to go shopping for school supplies, even though I don't attend anymore! It's that feeling you feel in your psyche that never fades!

Now a days, I just steal supplies from my office! LOL'

Hope you're well, Sarah!

thegamerswife on August 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM said...

You are so lucky you get to go to school and buy school supplies! Last August was the first time in my life that I didn't have to and it was sad :( I was recently in Target and felt drawn to their school supply section and my husband was rolling his eyes at me! Haha :) I walked out with just ONE notebook that I didn't really need ;)

Enjoy this time and get as much supplies as you want!!

Clelia on August 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM said...

Everytime that I need to decide about my future I usually buy a new and particular pen.

I love pens... without a nice pen I have not inspiration!

Clelia

rachaelgking on August 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM said...

Oh, I am totally making that pork suey. Delish!!! And I heart that you got a lunchbox :-)

Ella Everywhere on August 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM said...

I love love love school supply shopping! Especially pretty coloured pens and the feel of a new planner!

I read about the downtime thing in the paper, it was pretty crazy stuff. I don't use twitter, but with facebook I didn't notice anything different that day. I guess they worked hard to get it fixed pretty quickly

Anonymous said...

Haha, I ADORE school supplies too! Esp that fresh smell of the new paper rustling...it thrills me!
Congrats on your TA job! You must be so excited! PLease keep us posted and updated, ok? :-)
And twitter is drving me crazy. I have to use another server to be able to post anything. boooo!

Iva Messy on August 10, 2009 at 3:09 PM said...

OMG! that looks delish! and congrats on the award!!

stephchows on August 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM said...

Sounds like you had some fun shopping heeh. Have fun meeting his grandma!! Sounds like so much fun!

nora@ffr on August 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM said...

vat a great post!! love it :)

Brett Alexandra on August 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM said...

I shop for excitement too:) That pork suey looks amazing! Have you seen Julie&Julia? I think you would enjoy it. It's about cooking!

chadski on August 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM said...

Glad you're getting excited for the upcoming school year! You are prepping for it differently than I am (I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary), but it's very cool nontheless. I'm so jealous you're TAing this year and I'm not.

Though I've gone off the grid (no cable/internet at home) I'm still able to give quick meal tips that I think you may enjoy. If you're ever in the mood for a blue cheese centric dinner do this: melt 0.5c good blue cheese in 1.0c cream. Add 0.5 tsp black pepper when fully melted then add 1.0 lb. cooked pasta of your choice (short, stubby pasta works best). Toss and enjoy. Just did it today as my first real meal in my new place and it was incredible.

Anonymous said...

Ηi, I dо bеlieѵe thіѕ is аn exсellеnt site.
I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to cοme bacκ yet again
sinсe I book marked it. Mоneу and freеdom іs the best waу to
change, may yоu bе rich and cοntіnue to
guide other people.

Here is my web-sitе: http://www.bucket--truck.com/is-altec-the-best-bucket-truck
Here is my weblog bucket truck

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!