My Night In! Plus-- To Grandmother's House We Go

Thursday, July 23

I had big plans for tonight.

See, Matt's traveling for work. His office, Capitol Financial Solutions (part of the John Hancock network) met with other branches today in Richmond, VA (about 3.5 hours from us in Raleigh, NC). He's there tonight but the conference doesn't start until tomorrow. Hmm... wonder what they're all doing to kill time tonight before the conference tomorrow... :).

So I had big plans for tonight.

That included:

-Lots of Chinese food


-Red Wine


-HGTV

-and, of course, Laundry and Knitting.


Quite a plan, right?

I picked up my Chinese and settled into my PJs by about 6pm. But I got a happy surprise.

Tom, my step-dad, called!

We talked for a long time about my exciting Chinese evening, my sisters, my Mom's new running club plans (how cool!), his work stuff, etc. It was nice to catch up, since he's home for the first time this week after a couple weeks in China and a week in the mountains of Tennessee on vacation with my Mom. So after we got off the phone, I settled back up with my Chicken Lo Mein. But then, another surprise.

My best friend from college, Leah, called!

I hadn't spoken to her on the phone in a couple weeks! So we talked for a long time about her dating adventures, reminisced about college memories... all the fun stuff. We talked for a long time, but her phone died. So, again, settled into my couch, filled my red wine glass...

My Mom calls! Running class is over-- can she stop by?

Of course! I love my Mom, and I love when she comes by the apartment. She's psyched for her new running club, which met for the first time near my apartment, and we talk about that during commercials of some fun, trash TV (at one point we were even watching E True Hollywood Story). So she stays for a while, helps me finish my Chinese, and I enjoy the company. She heads out around 9pm. Now my alone time will really start. But-- wait!

Leah calls back! She's cooked dinner for a boy who's suppppposed to be home from work.

We talk more about this new beau she's just started dating (and why he isn't home from work yet, when he was supposed to finish up at 9:30... "good thing I bought a bottle of wine," she says, "so whatever."), but mostly talk about more important things... like House Hunters on HGTV (love the show) and how they should have a keychain wine opener (has that been invented yet?).

By the time we get off the phone, it's about 10.

So it was a long, multi-person conversation, from about 6:30 - 10.

I'm a little bit excited. It was so nice talking with everyone... but I'm a ready for this alone time that I've been pumping myself up about.

I sit back in the couch, ponder a fortune cookie, and think to myself, "this is nice."

Maybe I should knit.

Or read.

Or...

hmm.

It's very quiet.

The chinese is gone, the wine is gone, and there isn't anything good on TV.

And after a while, being alone isn't as fun as I thought it would be.

I mean, it's ok... but... what should I do now...

Then I remembered-- ha! I'm behind on blog reading!

And I thought I was alone :)


~*~*~

I'm driving to Richmond tomorrow to pick up Matt when he's finished with his conference. Then, we'll head up to Maryland together to visit my grandma!

I think it'll be a great weekend. I'll take lots of pictures!

Hope you all have a great weekend as well!

Your TV-watchin,
too-much-Chinese-food-eatin,
Yes,-really-Christmas-shoppin,

New Girl Blogger

18 comments:

Rebecca on July 24, 2009 at 3:12 AM said...

Hehe, I have nights like those. I settle in for an evening with me, the TV and "insert craft project here" and end up talking on the phone, or discovering the huge pile of laundry/washing up!

Have a lovely time at your Grandma's, and a great weekend.

me on July 24, 2009 at 3:39 AM said...

What a great night you had! Lucky you to be surrounded by such great family & friends... we just have to learn to knit while we're on the phone (I've not quite mastered it yet.. lots of earpiece dropping!) You'll have a great weekend with your Grandma ~ does she knit?

Ron on July 24, 2009 at 4:38 AM said...

LOL, loved this post! Sounds like you had a great evening--no matter what had happened! Those are the best times!

Have a great weekend, Sarah!

Donna-FFW on July 24, 2009 at 8:22 AM said...

I LOVE nights like that. Next time call me and we can finish off the bottle of wine while chatting:) And we'll make our own chinese food.

April on July 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM said...

For some reason, I romanticize about the East Coast. When Jeremy and I were still living in CA we would talk about moving away and raising a family somewhere other than crowded CA. Apparently we had different locations in mind. While I was dreaming of ANYWHERE (but NY)on the east coast, he was thinking TX. I'm sure I laughed and told him he was nuts - what's to beautiful about TX - and tried to get him to entertain the thought of history and culture. Nope. We're in TX. And I do have to say that I like it here. But I've still never been to the east coast. (FL doesn't count, especially when I only saw the inside of disnwey world) One day - I'll make it out to see all of the dreamy and educational sights that those states have to offer. :)

Ali on July 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM said...

Okay missy, I have to tell you something. But you have to promise not to freak out TOO much...

I work right next to House Hunters! Haha.

Any words you'd like me to pass on?

The Duo Dishes on July 24, 2009 at 2:41 PM said...

You're too funny. Let's just say that if you can find good take out Chinese, you're already onto a fun night. We don't have good take out near us. :( But wine is easy to find!

Peggy on July 24, 2009 at 5:22 PM said...

True alone time isn't ALL bad... I had a lot of it before I was married. But I agree, having someone (well, the right someone) around is more fun. (Except when that someone would rather spend his alone time tinkering in the garage on his latest project. ;-) )

Hope you have a fun weekend away!

Amy on July 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM said...

Wait, what? You're Christmas shopping already?! Your Chinese-and-wine plan sounds fabulous. When I was single I spent Valentine's Day eating Chinese, drinking wine and watching Dawson's Creek solo and it was one of my best V-days ever :)

Cucinista on July 24, 2009 at 6:50 PM said...

Chinese food, TV, wine... great combination. I have to confess to being secretly happy when the Boyf occasionally leaves me on my own because I get to do those things. But, as you rightly say, the best laid plans often get scuppered by phone calls or unexpected guests -- and often for the best.

Anonymous said...

Aww, man! Your post reminded me that I have to do laundry! Guess I'll do it tomorrow...

Catching up can be fun, but too much of it (three and a half hours is crazy) is just overwhelming. For me, any phone call over half an hour and I completely zone out.

thegamerswife on July 26, 2009 at 10:27 AM said...

Have a good weekend Sarah! I've been in the Delaware/Maryland area practically all summer, and now you're coming up and in two days I'm heading back down to NC!

I hope you enjoy your time off before school starts back up for you soon! :)

Kim on July 26, 2009 at 1:44 PM said...

So, add Chinese/wine night to the list of stuff we're going to do when I return! Maybe we can watch a marathon of something that's played entirely too much, but still addicting... like Sex and the City, SVu, OR ALL the Harry Potter movies (since I didn't get to see the new one there... or have yet to).

I'm catching up on YOUR blogs now that I'm finally home again! I spent a week away and now I'm so glad to be back in my personal zone for a bit and not around crazy amounts of people every night, though company can be nice, granted.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Aren't you such a loved one! But I do hope you also managed to get some quality alone time! When I want to be alone, I usually just don't pick up the phone.

stephchows on July 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM said...

YIkes!! Your night sounds perfect... up until all the phone calls LOL I hate talking on the phone :)

sarah on July 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM said...

best laid plans of the sarahs never go down as they should

:p

whenever i decide to spend the night in, put my hair up, getting into a dressing gown and some slippers... my phone will ring and an awesome invitation will be given out, WHATS UP WITH THAT, PEOPLE?!?!?!?

Ella Everywhere on July 28, 2009 at 6:44 PM said...

I totally get what you mean about enjoying alone time, but somehow something always comes up. I love unexpected phone call surprises!

Rachel on July 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM said...

I just came across your blog and it's super cute! :)

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!