Do you Like Me? Check Yes, No... or Maybe.

Tuesday, September 15

Listening to "Starfish," Sister Hazel.

When we were little, my best friend Allie and I were dorks.

No, like DORKS. Seriously.

We had a lot of fun and managed fine, but we definitely had our shares of the "awkward stage." Messy hair, crooked teeth, huge braces, funny glasses... you name it, we had it.

Well, when we were in the 5th grade, I decided to have a crush on the cool, skateboard dude on our bus. His name was... Brandon. ...I think. (and it was so important then, haha...)

So, in classic Elementary-school-dating style, I passed Brandon a note. "Do you like me?"

Underneath the question were two answers: Yes or No. Next to them I put checkboxes (usability first, people).

When I got the note back, I was really nervous. I knew there was no way skateboard guy would like me... but maybe he would...

and "maybe" is what I got. Underneath my "yes" and "no" options, Brandon had written in a "Maybe" option, drawn a box next to it, and checked that one.

There was hope for skater dude and I! Maybe I wasn't such a dork after all!!!!

Well, later, I found out that my bestie Allie, after delivering the note, convinced Brandon to put "Maybe" so he wouldn't hurt my feelings :)

That's what best friends are for!

So... what's the point of that story?

Right! Well, yesterday I got a great MAYBE...

Dear Sarah:

Thank you for your submission to EXPLORATIONS: The Journal of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity for the State of North Carolina.

[Cue the drumroll...]

...your submission has also been reviewed by three members of the Explorations Editorial Board and me. Based on these reviews, I am requesting that you revise and resubmit your paper, “Composition 2.0 in the Classroom: Studying the Integration of New Media and Multimodal Composition”, still for consideration in the 4th edition of Explorations to be published in November 2009.

So...

it's a maybe!!!

Woo-hoo!!!

I posted a while back about how I submitted my honors thesis from undergrad to a research journal. I've finally heard back! Even though I'm in grad school now this would be a great publication line for my resume/cv...

Even though in the rest of the e-mail, they basically said... your research is great! Just write better, it's still great news.

haha.

I can do it! I got a maybe! And this time, I don't think Allie put them up to it... although maybe I should call her and check...

Great news for a Monday! :) Now to find time to do those revisions...

~*~*~

In other news...

my next post will be about knitting.

Why?

because I haven't been knitting.

And if I force myself into a promise of it for next post, I'll be more likely to do it. I missss knitting. But haven't made the time! So now I will make time.

~*~*~

Also, I look like this.



Because I'm in the Christmas spirit already?

No.

Because I have a cold.

Honestly, I think I sneezed 10 times in a row yesterday.

My little nose is quite red.

But hey, at least it's not Swine Flu :)

For now, bring on the Kleenex! And lots of ramen... mmm...

~*~*~

Your sniffily,
article-revising,

promise-to-knit,
knitting-new-project!,
annoyed-with-Kanye,
New Girl Blogger

30 comments:

Ace on September 15, 2009 at 9:52 AM said...

Yay for maybe's!

Hope you feel better!

Samantha on September 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM said...

Yay! Congrats Sarah! That is a pretty impressive "maybe" - you're SO close to publication! That in and of itself must make you feel good. I wish you the best of luck in your revisions.

Ahhh, and what memories you brought back. Funny glasses, braces, messy hair, silly notes. I remember it all!

stephchows on September 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM said...

congrats on the maybe :D and feel better!!!

Aubrey on September 15, 2009 at 10:30 AM said...

That's one of the best kind of maybes. I hope with some revision, you get a resounding YES!

Brittany on September 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM said...

My friend did the "yes, no, maybe" question to a guy once too. The only difference? We were about 20. LOL! But he said YES and they had a lovely romance. For about 3 months. Oh, and I can't wait to hear more about your thesis once you turn in your revisions!

So. On a completely different topic...you're obviously a whiz at this template stuff and I was wondering if you might want to help a girl in need? I would like to get a cute template like yours and I found one on the site you gave me! The only problem? I can't figure out how to install! If you think you could help me with that, I would soooo appreciate it! If not, no worries. Thanks, girl!

Peggy on September 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM said...

Congratulations on your maybe! (I love your attitude about that, by the way.) It definitely sounds like you're going to have a line about it in your CV soon.

Sorry to hear about your cold! Seriously, very sorry... Don't sit by me in class today, 'kay? ;-)

chow and chatter on September 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM said...

this is a great post i pray your maybe becomes a big yes!!

Anonymous said...

oooo congrats!!!! That is so exciting!

Kim on September 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM said...

You intimidate me, Sarah! You're all off in the Ivory Towers getting maybes for publishing and I'm no where near that... yet! Congratulations, dear! Revise over a hot steaming cup of delicious coffee somewhere equally as awesome.

Unknown on September 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM said...

Bahhahahahhahah!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHHH elementary school and the awkward stages. LOVE IT! Like you said, that’s what best friends are for!! Haha! I have a box full of notes from years and years ago in my childhood years and its just such a hoot going back and reading them.

Crystal on September 15, 2009 at 1:04 PM said...

Congrats!! Your story about Brandon made me laugh out loud. I totally remember those "check yes or no" notes we'd pass to our crushes. And "Maybe?" Well, that was -- and still is -- just as golden as a "yes". ;)

Sarah on September 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM said...

I never did anything like pass a note, but I remember sending a heart emoticon on msn messenger to a boy I liked, and he sent one back, and I was positively glowing for days over it! Ahh, adolescence.

Sorry you have a cold, take lots of vitamin C and D! Plus good old chicken soup really does work to fight cold symptoms. And I seem to remember you don't like spicy food, but if you can stomach it, some cayenne pepper will really knock those germs out of the park! :)

Suz on September 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM said...

Congrats on your maybe!

Sorry you're sick - think garlic and berries. Not together, but seriously, its magic. Oh, and sleep. Phone a friend if you get bored :-)

green ink on September 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM said...

Great news sweetheart! Well done! And I sympathise with the cold, I am suffering as well...two days away from going to Italy! Bah humbug! Love and hugs from one Rudolph to another :D

knitseashore on September 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!

That is so awesome about your maybe -- you work so hard that I am sure it will turn into a yes soon! We can say we knew you when.

Hope you get some knitting time in soon, but you are so busy!

The Duo Dishes on September 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM said...

Awww, Sister Hazel. That's good music.

Ali on September 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM said...

Sarah!! Congrats! A "maybe" is better than a "no," as you know from (swoon) Brandon, haha.

And I love your friend. And not just because she shares my name. What a lady!

Happy knitting/writing!

Ashley @ {Let Go, Laughing} on September 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM said...

Maybes are way better than nos in my opinion so congratulations!!

Ron on September 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM said...

Wishing you the best of luck, Sarah! Awesome on hte Maybe!

And hey, it's officially too early to be flashing pics of Rudolph on the internet!! It's SEPTEMBER!!! lol

Lauren From Texas on September 15, 2009 at 11:31 PM said...

i look like rudolph when I cry... my mom used to sing me the song. :) Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your confident and postitive attitude! I hope that maybe turns into a big fat YES soon! :D

Nikolett on September 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM said...

Ah, that's so cute! I never had the guts to do that until high school (haha), back in elementary school it was all about MASH and those 'LOVE' games with points according to names ... silly stuff. But congrats on the maybe, hope it turns into a big YES and hope you feel better soon! :)

the twins on September 16, 2009 at 9:59 PM said...

just randomly found your blog. i really like it =)
your story is so cute and congratulations on the maybe! hope your cold feels better soon.

Michelle @ Find Your Balance on September 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM said...

Congrats on your Maybe! And get some sleep to keep that cold at bay :-)

Ella Everywhere on September 19, 2009 at 9:36 AM said...

Congratulations on the maybe!!

Who know a maybe could be so positive :)

And feel better hun! I'm just getting over a cold myself - it's not fun

Anonymous said...

Stumbled upon your blog today. What a great attitude! Good luck! ~Mina

Sebastian Anthony on September 19, 2009 at 3:46 PM said...

Congratulations, mon petit Sarah!

I want a copy of the journal when it gets published!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin on September 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM said...

I'm sorry for your cold but that pic of Rudolf does have me longing for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

What's up colleagues, how is everything, and what you desire to say concerning this article, in my view its really amazing in favor of me.

My website - legal ecstasy

Anonymous said...

Definitely belіevе thаt which you stated.
Υouг favorite reason seеmеd to be on the
internet the simplest thing to bе аware
of. I ѕay to you, I certainly get аnnoyed whіle people consider ωorгieѕ that
thеу plainly dοn't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

My web blog herbal party pills

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!