Yummy Cake, But Awful Picture...

Tuesday, July 21

Listening to "Spinning," Jack's Mannequin

First, let's go ahead and get this out of the way.


Are you ready?

It's a really bad picture I took of some cake.

As in, REALLY bad picture.

I'm almost embarrassed.

Unfortunately, when you take a picture of chocolate cake... especially in a bunt cake shape... when half of it is gone... you have to be careful. It can turn out ugly.

Like my picture.

Ready?

Here we go...


Photobucket

Ok. I apologize for putting you through that.

I tried to take a better one, honest... a couple angles... different lighting... close ups... nothing worked.

Then I gave up and took this one.

See, the cake was better sliced on a plate, with a little chocolate sauce, next to some ice cream and a small drizzle of Bailey's Irish Cream...


...but it's hard to keep ice cream and Bailey's in the apartment for long.

So by the time I went to take a picture of the yummy cake, we were all out of those things.

Now that we've gotten the picture out of the way, let's really talk about...

Duo Dishes' Molten Cake:

(I used this recipe to make Matt's birthday cake!)

-The original recipe makes smaller, mini cakes that go great with ice cream and chocolate sauce!

-Matt loves snickers. So I melted a couple mini snickers in a crock pot and replaced some of the chocolate that the recipe calls for with my melted snickers concoction (you can see evidence of some of the snickers nuts on the platter!). I also cut up some of the mini snickers and mixed that into the batter. Yummm.

-I used a bunt pan so that it would be more like a birthday cake; the recipe still worked, I simply altered the cooking time.

-Yum!! I'd like to try it again later, using small ramekins like Duo Dishes does!

-I definitely recommend! But don't forget the ice cream! Very Important! Mmmm...

~*~*~

Matt's CFP Test:

So... he took it. Finally. After 9 months of classes and 2 months of studying! Phew.

He won't find out for six weeks whether or not he passed!

It's a hard test... over 3/4th of the people there had taken it before, and this was Matt's first time. It would be GREAT if he passed. He put so much time into class and studying, and he's a smart guy. But if he doesn't pass, it definitely won't be the end of the world. They offer the exam 4 times a year. But like I said, he studies a LOT, so I really think he might be just fine. We'll see!

Anyway, again, thanks for encouraging comments :) I updated him incessantly on how many people had wished him good luck!

~*~*~

Now I have to go. I just started a new marketing campaign for the tutoring company-- targeting pediatricians now, instead of just school counselors. It's fun, and it's been going really well, but definitely time consuming!

Plus, my Mom is like two books ahead of me in our Summer book club. Ack!

I should have a break on Thursday to get some much-needed blog reading done :)

~*~*~

Your Potter-fan,
Christmas-shopping,
always-tutoring,
New Girl Blogger

19 comments:

Trina on July 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM said...

All I see is a cake that has been well enjoyed, nothing wrong with that :) Looks like a nice recipe to try though. I made bagels this weekend, they were harder than I thought - I didn't realise you'd have to poach them in hot water before baking them!
I hope you catch up with your book reading soon :)

The Duo Dishes on July 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM said...

Adding candy is smart...you get extra chocolate, caramel, funky nougatty-like stuff and nuts. It's probably a super great idea that we should try in a cake next time. Bet Rolos would be nice too. Yum.

Ali on July 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM said...

Dare I say that cake STILL looks amazing?

Amy on July 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM said...

I would totally gobble that cake. Messy cakes are often the best cakes. :)

Sarah on July 21, 2009 at 9:05 PM said...

That picture shows me a cake that obviously was so utterly delicious it needed immediate devouring... mmm. Snickers.

Urg, 6 weeks?! That seems like forever! I should have my baby by then! If not, I'll be very cranky... but I digress. Good luck to Matt, still, and I'm sure he did great!

Peggy on July 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM said...

Can't go wrong with chocolate cake (in my opinion). Looks like it was a success!

See you next week!

April on July 21, 2009 at 10:00 PM said...

Upon seeing the picture of the cake, Quinn said "Uh oh mommy. A baby mate a mess on dat plate!" So, I called Kenna over and asked her what she saw, and she said (my apologies) "Crap". WHAT!?! I swear she's never referred to anything as "crap" before!! This would normally be a moment that I blog about- not leaving as a comment to someone's post! I had to control the urge to laugh soooo hard. It was pure comedic timing. However, I think it's looks totally yum! I'm actually wishing that I had that last bit (along with all the nuts I could scrape off the plate) right here in front of me. I just may have to look up that recipe and make one. I'm hankering for something chocolatey...

Ps. Please don't hate my kids for being mouthy - I'm sure you've learned they're naughty! (and slightly amusing)

(Glad to see someone else is working on Christmas stuff, other than me! I really want to learn to knit a baby hat for my pregger friend, but I'm kinda nervous and don't know where to start. God bless the internet.)

Also - sorry for the long comment! : )

Unknown on July 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM said...

hahaha ummm that reminded me of.... oh, i wont say it... but i think you know cus im sure other people have said the same. haha! it sounds good though... drizzle of baileys!?!?! mmmm!

chow and chatter on July 21, 2009 at 10:26 PM said...

i bet it tasted amazing though

Anonymous said...

Oh i hope he passes! I know that will be a huge chunk off his shoulders!

stephchows on July 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM said...

The duo dishes rock! No worries about the bad pic, it happens to us all :) plus it only matters that it tasted good :)

Susie on July 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM said...

Ok I gotta agree that is NOT a good pic but I bet it was killah! Best of luck to Matt and hope you guys are enjoying your summer!

Lauren on July 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM said...

hahaha, the picture may be awful, but it looks great!!!

knitseashore on July 22, 2009 at 10:52 PM said...

Good luck to Matt again!

No problem on the cake -- any chocolate looks good!

Brilliant Farmgirl's Beauty Secrets™ on July 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM said...

hi hun!

LOL looks like a cake well enjoyed :D mmm, melted snickers- I'm a HUGE fan of Snickers.

Farmgirl

Iva Messy on July 24, 2009 at 1:48 AM said...

LOL! hahhaha ....well it doesnt look THAT bad lol .....oh I am glad the test is over and out of the way....I wish some of those tests didnt take so long to get the results back :-/

Kim on July 26, 2009 at 1:48 PM said...

That picture is pretty disgusting. I'm sure it looked amazing when it came out... or at least on a plate as a slice with the ice cream... haha. You're kind of a riot. Love it, love you.

the twins on July 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM said...

true, not the most attractive picture, but it still looks absolutely delicious!

Sebastian Anthony on August 1, 2009 at 10:03 AM said...

You're right, that looks totally hideous...

If it's any consolation, my only recent attempt at food photography didn't end much better. Looked like sick in a bowl...

I'm sure it tasted lovely though!

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!