Memorial Day! Biscottis, Whole Wheat Biscuits and Meatballs!

Monday, May 25

Listening to "Small Town Girl," Journey.
(for some reason this has been the theme to our weekend... I've serenaded Matt with this song twice now in the car. Who knows...)

Cooking Updates

Duo Dishes' Whole Wheat Cheese & Herb Biscuits
-Prep: Not bad at all! Fairly simple ingredients! Perfect for a weekend morning.
-Taste: YUM! Loved these! Full of flavor.
-Tip: I made them a little small... I wasn't sure how the dough would react in the oven and I didn't want them to get too big and run into one another haha. But they didn't rise or spread out much at all! If I had made them bigger, they would have been delish biscuits for a yummy breakfast sandwich! Next time :)
whole wheat herb and cheese biscuits

Duo Dishes' Sweet & Spicy Meatballs
lots of meatballs!

-Prep: So easy! This was a quick make.
-Taste: AMAZING! I loved this sauce!! It was just tangy enough with the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.
-Tip: I used my grandmother's homemade grape jelly. I love her jelly! It's so great and flavorful-- I think that definitely helped :) If you don't have homemade jelly on hand, I would at least invest in some great stuff! Because the jelly adds a lot of flavor.

meatballs!


From a North London Kitchen's Chocolate Biscotti
(She found the recipe on Batter Splattered)
-Prep: Pretty easy! I don't have a mixer (what?! I know...) but my food processor worked out pretty well anyway.
-Taste: Love. Love. I love these. So glad there are a lot of them. MMMmmm.
-Tip: Ok... so you bake the biscotti log, let it cool, cut it, then bake the smaller biscotiis for a little longer. I let the logs cool for a little too long before cutting, and the logs were a little too hard. A couple pieces crumbled when I was trying to cut them. Don't do that! Still turned out great, though :)
double chocolate biscotti
Mmm... a morning treat for the
rest of the week!


Cooking Goals for this Week:
1. Meatloaf (Matt's request-- I've never made one before!)
  • Excited about this! Most the recipes I read say to use ground beef but I like ground turkey so much better... so I'll try that and let you know how it goes.)
2. Knitting Knoobie's Mac & Cheese (Which she found on Food Network)
  • This will be my second attempt at baked Mac & Cheese. My last one was good but just too heavy! It was more like mac and cheese cake haha. This one is simpler :) I'm going to try to make my own bread crumbs for it!
3. From a North London Kitchen's Mushroom Bourguignon (Which she found on Smitten Kitchen)
  • Matt hates mushrooms-- but I looooove them. And he'll be in class all next Saturday! So this will be a special Saturday lunch for me :)
~*~*~

Knitting Update:

Abby's Jacket: Kinda Finished!
...kinda.
abby's jacket hanging
So it needs
sleeves.
abby's jacket!
But my pattern worked! There is a
body! Woo-hoo!


Circular Needles:

I... made a mistake. I went to the yarn store to by yarn for two new projects... and I also bought a new, full set of circular needles!!!

Do I have money for a complete set of circular needles? Well... maybe should have kept that money in saivngs... but look at all the needles!!!

More on what I have planned for this beautiful new needle set in a later post :)

Happy Memorial Day!

Memorial Day is special. I like holidays that celebrate the soldiers. I come from a family with lots of military background on my Father's side-- including my Dad! It's funny, because I'm more Democrat... and traditionally, the military personell are more Republican. So my Dad and I may not always agree on politics.

BUT on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, holidays like this... it's nice. Because the holiday celebrates the soldiers. It's not about the politics behind the war, or anything like that-- it's about those who fight the wars, those who are away from their families in far away countries. It's all about the soldiers.

And I like that.

An older picture from his last tour! He's
actually a contractor now, but I don't have
any pictures of that! This is from when he
was with the Army last year...
he's third from the left :)

So Happy Memorial Day, Dad. I know you don't get the day off like the rest of us, which is ironic! But we're all thinking about you, and all military service men and women! Be safe!

~*~*~

Have a great Holiday!

Your biscotti-munching,
circular-needle-knitting,
holiday-enjoying,
New Girl Blogger

23 comments:

chow and chatter on May 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM said...

the biscotti are great I made some yesterday good job Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Ooh, so jealous of the needles! I've been wanting to save up for a full set of KnitPicks interchangables, but so far I keep buying a few new tips everytime I get a hankering, and I know it's just going to cost me more in the end.

- If you like chicken and Thai-ish flavours, I have a GREAT recipe for you to try- super easy, super fast, and absoulutely delish!
xx

LK- Healthy Delicious on May 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM said...

those meatballs looks awesome!

I'm not a fan of tuurkey meatloaf, but if you want something really awesome look for somethign called meatloaf mix. I think its a combo of beef, veal, and pork? anyway its awesome. there's only one meatloaf in the world that I like and its made with that stuff.

thegamerswife on May 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM said...

Good luck on your cooking projects for the week! One of my husband's favorite meals for me to make is meatloaf...I hope your recipe works out well! :)

sarah on May 25, 2009 at 7:42 PM said...

good grief you make me hungry! i wish i had the time / inclination/ bigger kitchen to bake and cook more. i wish i could stop making excuses and bake or cook more :p but i don`t. i just eat sushi all the time.

i am so sleepy this morning that when i read your title i read it as `whole whale biscuits` and i thought `that`s odd` :p

my family is in the military too - we had conscription back in apartheid days so all the men fought in angola and italy and those places/ and my little brother is in the airforce. but i have a very weird relationship with the military. i think it comes from studying IR and politics...

Anonymous said...

I love how you cook all these other blogger's recipes! there are so many fantastic recipes out there indeed.
btw, you can try my recipe for pumpkin mac and cheese, too...pumpkin makes it so much lighter!

Unknown on May 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM said...

biscotti *mmmmm* i need to stop going to your blog, it makes me hungry everytime! haha! ;P i'd love to start experimenting in the kitchen too, it's just hard b/c it's a shared kitchen (with my family)! anyway, the knitted jacket looks great! you are truly talented!

Donna-FFW on May 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM said...

All of your dishes look wonderful Sarah! Especially those meatballs, and the green sweater looks lovely! Dont know how you find the time to do all you do!

Stephanie on May 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM said...

Those meatballs look awesome! I've never made biscotti before but you've definitely inspired me.

Brett Alexandra on May 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM said...

You are doing so well with knitting! Great job on that jacket:) AND I am going to have to try those meatballs. Craig and I loooove meatballs!

Pinked on May 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM said...

I want to cook yummy things like you do!

Cucinista on May 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM said...

1. Food looks amazing.
2. Love that you found all these great recipes
3. I have interchangeable knitting needles and -- I kid you not -- they changed my life. They are the best knitting investment you will ever make. They. Are. Fantastic. Plus you still get that little Transformers thrill when you swap them around.

Kim on May 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM said...

Holy cow, that biscuit sounds amazing. 19 months from now, I'll be eating biscuits again and will be so happy about it! And! Seeing your biscotti pictures are really making me want an oven ASAP so I can take a stab at it!

rachaelgking on May 26, 2009 at 5:15 PM said...

Making your own breadcrumbs? You are amazing, chica! Can't wait to hear how it turns out... I made a baked macaroni a couple times, but I think my recipe was too heavy, too.

Vicki on May 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM said...

the food looks fantastic. I wish I had some cooked right now!
Those needles are fancy.
I am spoiled, I need wooden.

shelter volunteer on May 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM said...

Congratulations on your new set of needles! Can't wait to see what you have in mind for future projects. That jacket looks amazing already.

I wish I could say something insightful about your recipes, but as I am a cooking failure who makes the same few meals all the time, I can only say congratulations for all of your great successes in the kitchen!

Chad on May 26, 2009 at 10:25 PM said...

Good job on the jacket, and those biscotti look amazing. Now I have to go back and attempt/slaughter my old biscotti recipes. Never quite got the technique down for baking anything in general, let alone twice baking!

April on May 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM said...

Mmmm.... I'm hungry now. Those biscuits sound great! I need to start blog stalking some more and get some new recipes to try. I always end up going back to the same few staples at my house. I hate falling into ruts. : ) My suggestion on the meatloaf is to combine both beef and turkey. I've done it that way and Jeremy didn't even notice! But, when I've made it just with turkey - he wasn't too thrilled with me. : ) We move tomorrow (finally) and I can't wait to get back in the kitchen and try out some mac and cheese recipes and definitely make some pasta with my Italian great-gramdma's meatballs. Mmm...I'm salivating.

stephchows on May 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM said...

MMMMM I've been meaning to try those biscuits from duo dishes!! They looks so good!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) on May 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM said...

The dishes and the knitting look great!I haven't knitted after school-used to love it then,maybe I should start again:)

me on May 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM said...

Tip: for hard biscotti, get a hot cuppa joe and dip away...if there are choc chips in them, they melt in your mouth (not in your hand....right?!!) Looks like you had fabulous fun knitting & buying needles!! CAST ON!!!!

Marta on May 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM said...

Great tip on the grape jelly! It looks like you went to town on the kitchen this long weekend! Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Homemade jelly would've been perfect! Lucky you to have that available in a jar. Wish we could've tasted those. And also glad the biscuits worked for you too. You're right about a breakfast sandwich. Maybe we'll try that next time too. :)

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!