Your Man ___? Finding the Man Scarf. + First Week of Class!

Tuesday, January 12

Currently Listening to "California," Rogue Wave.

Your Man __?

Kym was cracking me up in the comments of my man scarf post, talking about how "Man ___" is always funny. And she's totally right! Man purse is funny no matter what "cool" bag the man is carrying. (Anyone else obsessed with The Hangover?? It's a satchel! Indiana Jones wears one...)

Another favorite of mine was always "man cave." It means a room in the house where men are allowed to do and decorate how they please. Think leather chairs and pool tables, I suppose?

I never understood these men who, in their own houses, had to fight for a basement or upstairs room or-- really?-- the garage, just so they could have their own space. I was always all, "why don't they just share and compromise??"

BUT...

Now that I've lived with my boyfriend for a little over a year, I can honestly say that while I'm still happily in love with him and look forward to seeing him everyday...

His Scarface poster is the FIRST thing that would go in his man cave.

Haha I remember trying so hard to get him to get rid of that when we moved in together...

Then my step-dad saw it when he was helping us unpack and was all, "That's awesome!!"

So now it's in our office. Black matting, gold frame and all.
Scarface
lovely.

The things we do for love...

Anyway, speaking of lovely things, I think I've chosen a scarf for the "man scarf" project!

Finding the Man Scarf

Fidgeting Gidget shared the Basketweave Scarf pattern from Knitting Daily, which I looooove. I'm so making this for myself lol.

man scarf from knitting daily

Isn't it cute?? I'm going to go ahead and get this on the needles next because I think it's so cute. I'm afraid Matt won't like the sides... it could be seen as a little "ruffled." Guys are so hard! I can totally understand Steph Chows forgetting the scarf and crocheting her hubs an afghan!!

But like I said... I like the scarf. lol. So FG, I'll make that one for me. You can never have enough cute scarves, I think!

SO. For Mr. Matt, I felt better when Concord Carpenter promised that 1. Using one color is best (that's what I was thinking!) and 2. Wide is ok.

THEN Stephanie posts two scarves, one of which is the Extra Warm Men's Scarf by Cotton and Cloud.


Extra Warm Men's Scarf by Cotton and Cloud

Love it! Manly looking stitches (can stitches be manly? Guess so!), nice gray-black simple man color...

I've got my scarf :)

So now, on the needles:

  1. Extra Warm Men's Scarf by Cotton and Cloud. (Thanks for the suggestion, Stephanie!)
  2. The Hoodie Baby Blanket by Nikol Lohr

Thanks for your help, everyone!

First Week of Class

Now, this is my 2nd day of class during my first week of the semester...

It's my third semester and after this I'll only have two more to go... (May '11, baby!)

And after all that, this is my first online class!

I've got two traditional lecture courses (ENG 518 Publication Management, ENG 519 Online Information Design and Evaluation) but my one online class is EAC 581: Advanced Instructional Design in Training and Development.

It's funny... because it's Advanced Instructional Design, and I've never even taken an Instructional Design course... or a EAC course (EAC is Adult & Higher Education Dept.) at all, for that matter! AND it's my first online course.

...that's a lot of first.

Hopefully I'll survive.

I was a TOTAL DORK and when I signed on to the course, realized everyone was posting introductions in the "forum" so I went around and commented on EVERYONE'S introduction...

...well, there's only 15 people in the class, but anyway...

commented on EVERYONE'S introduction, only to realize afterward that the only other person to comment ON EVERYONE'S INTRODUCTION....

...was the professor.

At least I proved you can still be a dork, even in online classes...

Maybe everyone will just think I'm really nice! lol.

Next post: Cooking, Recipe Blogroll Update!

Your still-freezing-in-NC,
tired-of-cold-weather, making-a-big-stew-to-help,
man-scarf-knitting,
New Girl Blogger

18 comments:

thegamerswife on January 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM said...

I do like the man scarf choice! I laughed so hard about your poster predicament. When my husband moved in he brought his horrendous fantasy-video-game like poster (in a frame no less!) and promptly hung it in our office. One day the thing FELL AND CRASHED to the floor. It no longer was presentable to hang up anymore and I swear I had nothing to do with it's falling but to this day the husband thinks it was all part of my plan to get rid of it!! :-P

Fidgeting Gidget on January 12, 2010 at 2:12 PM said...

Yay Basketweave scarf! I do agree about the sides looking kinda ruffled, now that you say that. I made it for my MIL and she loves it. I did it in an off-white color and the pattern really popped. I started one for me in a yarn that had a three color blend, and I frogged it because the different varigated colors took away from the pattern. It goes really fast, though, and it's really pretty. I love the choice for your marf (man scarf!). It DOES look manly. Can't wait to see the finished product pics of those and the hoodie baby blanket. I just finished my first blanket. I'm hoping to post pics sometime this week! Are you on Ravelry? We need to find each other and be friends..... :)

Anonymous said...

I love that progressive insurance commercial where Flo says that he no longer has to hold her purse and its his man purse!! Cracks me up all the time!!

Anonymous said...

I've been pondering what to knit my man for a while now too. And then I saw the ultimate geeky gift. He's doing a PhD in microbiology, so what better than the DNA scarf on ravelry? Plus, it's been in the negatives over here, so any warmth is greatly appreciated.

xx

Kim on January 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM said...

I think you chose well not to make the one you're making for you for Matt. I even think that one is a little girly. I've been wearing the 2 you made for me all the time. They're cozy, so I call them my house scarves and I wear them both at the same time to keep toasty. Those are also the 2 I need around my neck when I go to sleep. :)

I'm so glad you're bloggin' again! I already feel back in your life! And, I love that you posted on EVERYONE's introductions, hahaha. So cute. Yay for 2 more semesters (at least) of first days! One day, when you're all done and finished, I'll be starting all that all over again.

P.S. Have I mentioned my potential next step to you? Teaching English in Korea?

P.P.S. One day, I want you to help me with my blog layout. Way too complicated for me...

Unknown on January 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM said...

bahhaha! glad i could bring a little laughter your way. I loved the hangover! so many great scenes! haha! ;P and girllll don't even get me started on MAN CAVE. My bf talks about it all the time and how he MUST have one when we get married. MUST. i'm learning to accept it. i'll probably be happy that he has one so i dont have to watch him play video games all day. haha!

Ali on January 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM said...

Love both those scarves! Now you've got me in the scarf-wearin' mood. :)

Donna-FFW on January 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM said...

Whats scary to me is that I just asked my hubby Do you think men should wear scarves.. Without missing a beat my firefighter husband said yeah, mmhmmm. OK odd to me:)

sarah on January 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM said...

hahaha kym is so right,
and here in japan... there is a very fine fine line between man ____ and woman ______

cant tell you the number of times i have said, wow that bag / hat / scarf is awesome, only to see it being used by a guy later on

japan and screwed up my taste and asthetics forever

sarah on January 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM said...

*japan has

stephchows on January 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM said...

oo i love the grey manly scarf!!! I wish I could knit and not just crochet LOL I'd make myself one!

Too excited about the exchange!! You could always bake them a half batch of healthy and a half batch of unhealthy and send both! :D

Iva Messy on January 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM said...

I really like the grey one ;) ha, I would like that red one for me as well lol!!

xoxoKrysten on January 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM said...

Oooh really like that scarf!

kathy b on January 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM said...

Love the new blog look! Where have I been? Im so glad you are posting!

Fireman will not wear a scarf. He wanted and wanted a headband. I finally made him one and he loves it.

My daughter Al made the one you choose to make for yourself. It is lovely and I don't think many a man would wear it. What color are you treating yourself to?

Nikolett on January 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM said...

Oooo, I love making scarves (even though I've only made the one scarf so far haha). So hard trying to find the perfect pattern/one! And I TOTALLY feel you ... my boyfriend got a 'Trailer Park Boys' poster and I swear that would be the first thing in his 'man cave' haha.

I just finished my second week of my last term, so brutal! Hope we can both get through it a-okay! :)

Stephanie on January 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM said...

Glad I could help!

April on January 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM said...

Wow...I'm soooo glad that you're back!!! I was having withdrawls!! : ) My blog is down at the moment but will definitely be back up - sometime in the near future. Lots of changes going on. : ) You'll see...soon enough. Umm.... LOVING the basket weave scarf... and I'm definitely thinking that you should make me one too...I mean, you know, while you're at it...and send it on over to Texas for me, and I'd be more than thrilled to pay you for it! So....you know...just while you're at it... : )

PS-Did you ever make the pumpking spice latte from Yellow Door Paperie??

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation;
many of us have developed some nice methods and we
are looking to exchange methods with other folks, be sure
to shoot me an e-mail if interested.
Also visit my web page ; male breast reduction

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!