The Beef Stew Debut

Friday, February 6

Currently listening to: Beirut, "Postcards from Italy"

Boyfriend and I received a crock pot for Christmas from my parents. I thought the best first meal for the new toy would be beef stew-- one of my favorite meals.


It was happy work, chopping the beef into cubes, mixing together the good smelling ingredients, dancing to iTunes as I double-checked the online recipe-- but THEN, the surprisingly miserable part: the vegetables. I chopped vegetables for TWO HOURS. Three finger cuts and two sore hands later, I called boyfriend to whine about the devilish vegetable dicing. He promised to love the soup and reminded me where the band-aids were.

My hard work was rewarded when I came in that night to an apartment that smelled gloriously of beef stew goodness. Boyfriend arrived, complimenting me on the smell, promising he'd been thinking of stew all day... and as he pulled off the crock pot lid, he stared into the stew-- and LAUGHED.

Boyfriend laughed because in the stew were my vegetables, chopped into tiny, tiny pieces. I had chopped the vegetables into bitty bits because-- well, I'm a new cook. I was thinking of the Campbell's soup, or something, and that reference point led me to chop 5 carrots, 4 potatoes, a bushel of celery, an onion and a garlic into the smallest pieces imaginable. No wonder it took me two hours to chop those veggies-- I practically shredded them! I still can't totally explain why I thought they had to be so small...

And in the end, the finger cuts didn't even pay off because the stew would have been better if the veggies had been bigger... oh, the satire of the stew. Overall, though, a success.

Live and learn.

-Sarah

Simple Beef Stew: Click on the Photo for RecipeClick on the photo to view the recipe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job taking pre-made ingredients and adding your own touch. We are fans!

Rebecca on February 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM said...

Is that a pint of Guinness? Most excellent, the perfect accompaniment to stew. Great to see someone else documenting their learning curves. Keep it up, it'll come thick and fast believe me, one day stew, the next homemade bread and knitted scarves!

Melanie on February 9, 2009 at 3:33 PM said...

Stew tastes good no matter what size chunks are in it! You should look into getting a hand chopper--I got one and don't know how I lived without it!

Melanie on February 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM said...

Maybe "Cut-Up Hands Day"? Sounds like a good holiday to me. I'm glad the crust-making instructions are useful--I think making pie is incredibly satisfying (not to mention yummy!). The NC Senate definitely needs to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

You remind me of me when I got my first crock pot. I made beef stew, of course! I have tried making it every so often, but it never was really good, like I imagined it should be. I just found the best recipe for beef stew ever. I'm sure you could find a way to adapt it to a crock pot. It's at www.lifeingrace.blogspot.com!

It was listed on my Tasty Tuesday blog party and it sounded like it might be the recipe I was looking for. Well, it is a family favorite now! I just thought I would pass on my great find to you!

Let me know if you try it!
-Kim

Post a Comment

“Words are the voice of the heart”

-Confucius

Thanks for your comments!